Denon AH-MM400
Jul 2, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #601 of 1,435
Does anyone know if MM-400 can be connected with balanced cables? PM-3 has 4-pole TRRS female connector inside the cap, and accepts any balanced cables with 4-pole 3.5mm jack. Can MM-400 do the same?

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #603 of 1,435
I'll import these from overseas. Much cheaper that way.

Some people say PM3's are flatter. Others say they have more bass (loose, bloomy etc. compared to mm400s). I can't demo both so that makes it a bit harder for me. I can always eq so the signature is not really an issue. I would like for it to be a bit bass heavier, but ultimately I need one which has more resolution and is not sloppy. I think both of these are good on these fronts.
These 2 cans will have excellent resolution but I am reading the Denons are more confident handling bass. They thump as hard as required only as needed, and the bass is fast acting too from my own experience. I have seen both cans in the flesh and I do think the Denons outshine the Oppos in terms of how classy they look. The Oppos do seem to have larger earcups however so I dont know if that will translate to additional comfort or a wider soundstage. Again I don't feel the Denon is lacking either. As a closed can, it could always have a wider soundstage I guess but it gives you a front seat experience of everything in either case.

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #604 of 1,435
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I ended up going with PM-3 and just received them today.

Regards, 

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #606 of 1,435
I will when I finally get a chance to hear them.. really busy these days.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #607 of 1,435
Has anyone found a more protective case for these? Maybe the B&W P7 case would work but I couldn't see any cases for sale without the P7 anywhere.
And does anyone know about replacement pads, in case there is ever a problem?

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #608 of 1,435
  Has anyone found a more protective case for these? Maybe the B&W P7 case would work but I couldn't see any cases for sale without the P7 anywhere.
And does anyone know about replacement pads, in case there is ever a problem?

i posted what i used awhile back:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/737714/denon-ahm-m400/405#post_11543218

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #611 of 1,435
...at Changi Airport; definitely one of the best ways of making use of the waiting time:

Awesome. Great to see the novelty hasn't worn off :)

It hasn't worn off at all. Any time I use this combination I am amazed that such level of sound quality is possible nowadays with a mobile system... killer!!!

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #612 of 1,435
It hasn't worn off at all. Any time I use this combination I am amazed that such level of sound quality is possible nowadays with a mobile system... killer!!!
I am honestly in the same boat.

I watched The Equalizer on blu-ray last weekend with these connected to my Yamaha amp. Even though I thought the sound had reached its final destination a while ago, the fact that there were such demanding scenes sound wise has changed the sound signature further. Bass is even more well mannered and mids the centre of attention. I didn't think I would see such a difference after putting these under the pump for only 2 hours. Just when I thought they had hit their peak. So unexpected!

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #614 of 1,435
  Does anyone know if MM-400 can be connected with balanced cables? PM-3 has 4-pole TRRS female connector inside the cap, and accepts any balanced cables with 4-pole 3.5mm jack. Can MM-400 do the same?

I asked Denon UK and they said it's not compatible with third party cables because of the oval shape (even though it is). I didn't bother to respond.

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #615 of 1,435
soo.. finally got a chance to listen to the PM-3 yesterday night, and wellll... I'm kinda disappointed with them on initial listen. The bass is probably my biggest disappointment. I knew they are considered neutral and all but I didn't expect this little. Guess I'm really a basshead afterall.. This to me is not what I would call neutral, I'd probably call them bass light. again this is my own humble opinion and personal preference. Considering the soundstage, all somewhat of a disappointment. It feels in my head, as I did not get the out of head feel. I'm hoping things improve with burn-in.\

Running these off an HA-2.

I think I've read that the denons are not THAT different in sound signature, so I guess I would also find them bass light.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back