Denon AH-MM400
May 9, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #482 of 1,435
...can the philips x2 bass hold up to these guys even though its open.

Funnily enough, I think the X2's bass can indeed hold up to the M2 imo.

Which is why I'm finding the M2 a bit disappointing... still.

The trouble is, at my listening volumes I need to get enjoyment, both the X2 and M2 lose their control over the bass punch; like they both try to keep their respective, laid-back, neutral signature all the way to the highest volume.

Take EDM to either headphone and "it's very nice". But putting my HD202 back on; its muddy, it's rolled off, but it's so much more enjoyable.

Having spiked EQ and amped bass boost does help, but it won't change the inherent characteristics of a neutral headphone.

May 9, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #483 of 1,435
The bass is different in the M2 compared to the X2. Also, there is more air in the X2 so to me it is difficult to compare.  I really find nothing disappointing with the M2 it is a great portable option. The mm400 is getting a fair amount of listening time. I think by the end of the coming week I will have enough hours logged to be fair in a comparison.  I really am into portable sound, I find  it is more challenging to find excellent sound in diverse listening situations. To me to buy say the X2 or HD650 and have an excellent desktop amp setup is not a challenge. There are no external factors at play to disrupt your experience. Thus if you look at my profile you will see such a large number of IEM's and portable cans.

May 10, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #485 of 1,435
I also tried the M2 but returned them. They sound OK, but they are horribly microphonic as soon as something touches the metal on the headband (which sticks out below the ear cups). Also, just walking around causes wind noise as air moves through the slits for the earcup adjustment. And finally the cable is flimsy and has a straight jack plug, which is really odd for a portable headphone.

May 10, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #486 of 1,435
I would agree about the cable. Obviously it is a trend the mm400 cable sucks as well as the M2 and PM-3 they all 3 are flimsy and cheap unless you have to replace them then they are expensive.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-25-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

I will try to talk Peter into doing the mm400. Amazing how folks can have completely different experiences with the same hp. I will agree the wireless BT version of the M2 has those characteristics you describe. I had both at the same time because I got the BT version for the same retail price as the wired version, they are not the same sound quality wise with the wired version, with the wired version sounding better.

May 10, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #487 of 1,435
Yea, unfortunately crappy cables seems to be a portable headphone trend... The 3m cable with the oppos is quite nice, thick and sturdy and well built but the shorter ones...
B&W p7 probably had the nicest cable of the portables I've tried. It wasn't bad at all.

May 10, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #488 of 1,435
Yea, unfortunately crappy cables seems to be a portable headphone trend... The 3m cable with the oppos is quite nice, thick and sturdy and well built but the shorter ones...
B&W p7 probably had the nicest cable of the portables I've tried. It wasn't bad at all.
If my memory serves me right, you ended up ordering the same 3rd party cable as mine? If yes, did it arrive yet?

May 10, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #489 of 1,435
Thanks to your post, I've got the same cables from the same seller for my MM400 and X2. It was a coincidence I'd bought the same cable with a different connector for my HD558. They all seem good quality to me; I don't have any complaints.

May 10, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #490 of 1,435
Thanks to your post, I've got the same cables from the same seller for my MM400 and X2. It was a coincidence I'd bought the same cable with a different connector for my HD558. They all seem good quality to me; I don't have any complaints.
Awesome, glad you're enjoying them. Was just concerned because a couple of people had said they had ordered them and never got to hear their thoughts.

May 11, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #491 of 1,435
Oh, I did indeed get the same one Romani, I'm happy with it too, relatively inexpensive but it feels nicer than the tiny thin old ones! The sleeve can be noisy rubbing up against some of my clothes but for a t shirt or something it's fine.

I've been considering getting a more expensive copper cable though, just as I've never tried one before, I know it would be very high quality and it hopefully wouldn't have any cloth sleeving so it would reduce microphonics. Max I would be willing to go is about $100 though.

May 11, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #492 of 1,435
Oh, I did indeed get the same one Romani, I'm happy with it too, relatively inexpensive but it feels nicer than the tiny thin old ones! The sleeve can be noisy rubbing up against some of my clothes but for a t shirt or something it's fine.

I've been considering getting a more expensive copper cable though, just as I've never tried one before, I know it would be very high quality and it hopefully wouldn't have any cloth sleeving so it would reduce microphonics. Max I would be willing to go is about $100 though.
Good stuff. It isn't superior in terms of eliminating cable noise but it is well built and does make the cans look their price at least. So I did some more A-B testing on my home rig in the last couple of days. I don't know but I felt the original cable had a slightly better ability to segregate instruments. I just don't know whether I was imagining or not in all honesty. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I would probably be pushing it at $50 for a good quality cable but that's just me. If you come across anything that fits your bill or mine (and the cans), keep us posted :)

May 11, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #493 of 1,435
Good stuff. It isn't superior in terms of eliminating cable noise but it is well built and does make the cans look their price at least. So I did some more A-B testing on my home rig in the last couple of days. I don't know but I felt the original cable had a slightly better ability to segregate instruments. I just don't know whether I was imagining or not in all honesty. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I would probably be pushing it at $50 for a good quality cable but that's just me. If you come across anything that fits your bill or mine (and the cans), keep us posted
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll do some A-B testing later, will see if I notice any differences too... I've got a few other cables here from other headphones and stuff that I'll test too, never actually A-B tested them because they all seemed fine but you never know....

I'll definitely keep you and the thread posted if I find a nice cable too, I've been checking all the usual suspects as far as cable companies go but most have pretty massive prices... 

May 11, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #494 of 1,435
I'll do some A-B testing later, will see if I notice any differences too... I've got a few other cables here from other headphones and stuff that I'll test too, never actually A-B tested them because they all seemed fine but you never know....

I'll definitely keep you and the thread posted if I find a nice cable too, I've been checking all the usual suspects as far as cable companies go but most have pretty massive prices... 
Sounds good. Looking forward to your comparisons.

May 15, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #495 of 1,435
If my memory serves me right, you ended up ordering the same 3rd party cable as mine? If yes, did it arrive yet?

Hey... care to post a link to this cable? Would it be good for any portable headphones? I really like the Marshall Monitor cable (which I know you have). I would consider getting an extra one of those to use on these or Sennheiser M2, which I'm considering getting.

How do you rate the Denons vs. the Marshalls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back