Denon AH-MM400
Apr 29, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #451 of 1,435
How would the MM400's bass compare to the V Moda M-100?

From the looks of it, the ear cups on the MM400 look a little shallow. But I'm interested in them.
I used to own the M100. I personally found them uncomfortable. I forget i am wearing the MM400s. I also think the sound of the MM400 is a step up with more transparency. I think both handle bass well with it being impactful and fast acting. The MM400s are more premium feeling, however both well constructed, even though I would say the M100 could take more of a beating.

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #452 of 1,435
  Does anyone have a portable over ear they prefer to the denons?

I auditioned the Master & Dynamic MH40, NAD HP50, PSBM4U1, B&W P7, Shure 1540, and the Sennheiser Momentum v.2 before I settled on the MM400. They just seemed to offer the most in terms of SQ, build and aesthetics. They don't seem that far off from my full-sized cans either. 

Would love to try the OPPO PM-3 though. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #453 of 1,435
tried oppo pm-3 (when was auditioning hd800, all audeze stuff, gs1000e, he-560, he-400i), imho nothing special, actually didn't like it at all, especially midrange completely uninvolving, sounded dead to me, regarding its price I would not even consider buying it, but it's all about preferences and hearing (if u really want cheap planar just go with old he-400 instead), maybe pm-1 is much better - haven't auditioned it yet but the price is really high, I would rather go with hd800 knowing my preferences

also compared directly lower denons like 300 and 200 but they are in completely different league, also tried some active monster (sounded a bit like he-500 for 1/3 price)

May 1, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #458 of 1,435
I was surprised by how small the Focal's (One S, Classic, Professional) earpads actually are.  They are a lot smaller than they look in pictures and I would consider them more of a 'semi-on-ear' than an over-ear headphone.  Sadly, their small earpads were a total deal-breaker for me, and I didn't even bother to listen to them.

May 2, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #459 of 1,435
Left these guys to burn in ~48 hours and just came back to them tonight. Really have to say they are absolutely singing right now - everything just seems so lush and cohesive. Bass has settled down and become tighter, mids have come out a tad and they seem to have a bit more depth. A very pleasant but effortless sound overall. Extremely pleased so far!

May 2, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #460 of 1,435
  Left these guys to burn in ~48 hours and just came back to them tonight. Really have to say they are absolutely singing right now - everything just seems so lush and cohesive. Bass has settled down and become tighter, mids have come out a tad and they seem to have a bit more depth. A very pleasant but effortless sound overall. Extremely pleased so far!

Nice, glad you're liking them so far!

How do these cans compare to the list of headphones/iem in your sig? I understand they're probably intended for different purposes as all the cans in your sig are open but comparisons are always welcome IMO. Nice to see how their sound compares to other headphones people have/haven't heard.

May 3, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #462 of 1,435
I am still waiting for more clarity and more details but I am more and more sceptical about burn-in of this headphone. I wish I had some fast, detailed and bright dac on sabre 9018 right now to try it out with.

May 3, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #463 of 1,435
  I am still waiting for more clarity and more details but I am more and more sceptical about burn-in of this headphone. I wish I had some fast, detailed and bright dac on sabre 9018 right now to try it out with.

You should take them to the store where you auditioned the other pair and see if they're actually different still or if you just aren't as happy with them as you thought you'd be... Not sure what else you could do honestly...

May 3, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #464 of 1,435
m400 has many pros but still this unit has too muddy sound with overwhelming, bad controlled bass, not too good details and upper midrange, it's like the demo unit was completely different headphone or maybe QC/repeatability in denon is bad - time will tell but I guess it's not gonna be short period

May 3, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #465 of 1,435
  m400 has many pros but still this unit has too muddy sound with overwhelming, bad controlled bass, not too good details and upper midrange, it's like the demo unit was completely different headphone or maybe QC/repeatability in denon is bad - time will tell but I guess it's not gonna be short period

And you are using the same system (DAP/Amp) when auditioning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back