Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #2,536 of 4,391
Not my intention to start a cable debate :) but I don't think it's your cable. Your balanced source is maybe/probably too powerful and maybe bright sounding?

The 9200 don't need a lot of power to shine(but don't mind it), but they need a warmer source with more low end than treble sparkle. With the right source and the right music the 9200 is very close to be unbeatable :L3000:
My source is not too bright, and actually it's not about bright or dark. The balanced cable pushes everything too forward and jammed. The single ended cable pulled everything back a step and more musical to my taste. I doubt the D9200 is best tuned to the stock cable, stock pad. But I'll give the balanced cable another try later.

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #2,537 of 4,391
How’s it soind to you ? I found it works the best with the stock single ended cable. Balanced cable pushes the can too much. Harsh and intrusive.

Not my intention to start a cable debate :) but I don't think it's your cable. Your balanced source is maybe/probably too powerful and maybe bright sounding?

The 9200 don't need a lot of power to shine(but don't mind it), but they need a warmer source with more low end than treble sparkle. With the right source and the right music the 9200 is very close to be unbeatable :L3000:

I would side with @stenog here .. As my go-to sources, I use a FiiO M15 and a Questyle CMA Twelve Master, that both have bucketloads of power ... On both I prefer the sound of the AH-D9200 when used on the balanced connection. I have tried and compared the included 6.3mm and 3.5mm single-ended cables repeatedly, as well as a Forza Audioworks Noir HPC Mk2 6.3mm cable, but invariably reverted back to the balanced cables (of which one also is a FAW Noir HPC Mk2...)

But I also agree with @Cran .. In the end, it comes down to personal taste :)

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #2,538 of 4,391
My source is not too bright, and actually it's not about bright or dark. The balanced cable pushes everything too forward and jammed. The single ended cable pulled everything back a step and more musical to my taste. I doubt the D9200 is best tuned to the stock cable, stock pad. But I'll give the balanced cable another try later.
Don't forget that when you're listening with your balanced cable you're actually listening to a different amp stage - BTW, which amp do you have? If you wanted, you could make a simple balanced->single-ended cable adaptor and listen to your balanced cable on the single-ended output of your amp and see if you can imagine hear any difference between the actual cables.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #2,539 of 4,391
Don't forget that when you're listening with your balanced cable you're actually listening to a different amp stage - BTW, which amp do you have? If you wanted, you could make a simple balanced->single-ended cable adaptor and listen to your balanced cable on the single-ended output of your amp and see if you can imagine hear any difference between the actual cables.
I would side with @stenog here .. As my go-to sources, I use a FiiO M15 and a Questyle CMA Twelve Master, that both have bucketloads of power ... On both I prefer the sound of the AH-D9200 when used on the balanced connection. I have tried and compared the included 6.3mm and 3.5mm single-ended cables repeatedly, as well as a Forza Audioworks Noir HPC Mk2 6.3mm cable, but invariably reverted back to the balanced cables (of which one also is a FAW Noir HPC Mk2...)

But I also agree with @Cran .. In the end, it comes down to personal taste :)
I have two balanced amp: Singxer SA-1 (solid state) and XDuoo TA-20 (tube)

I'll try to listen the balanced cable more and see if the previous conclusion stays. Thanks guys.

Jun 3, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,541 of 4,391

I'll try to listen the balanced cable more and see if the previous conclusion stays. Thanks guys.

Directly connected to my DAP Cayin N6mkii) I use a balanced cable, from my headphone amp (Burson Soloist mk2) single ended stock cable. Sound quality on both are excellent although slightly different.

Ok, just now I tried again. The stock cable still wins on both amp. The touch is lighter, treble and bass is more jumpy and musical. I guess it's about the synergy of everything of my gears. Or, its the sony cable doesn't fit!

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #2,542 of 4,391
D9200 sounds great great great. Most overlooked headphone in the community.
In the TOTL sphere, yes, definitely. I've tried my fair share of the best headphones on the market, and the AH-D9200 holds its own in comparison with a large chunk of its competitors, especially within the closed-back side of things. The fact that it sounds this good, but costs a fraction of some of its contemporaries, speaks volumes. Plus, it is hardly in the picture when the perennial topic of the best-of-the-best headphones is discussed.

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #2,543 of 4,391
for anyone who thinks denon will not scale with great amps is totally wrong, just try it with a violectric 590. I am literally wondering how will denon top the 9200, with a great implemented amp like violectric the denon is on a total different level, and I had alot of amps nothing sounds like using the denon 9200 with violectric

I know some will say the denon does not need a powerful amp, I can tell you are wrong, it scales with a great amp period

This headphone proved its test period on my side long time ago, and I got so many other headphones after it, and I picked it up today and was blown by how great this headphone is, but u must have a great amp to get its full potential, and driving it from not a great amp is not at all the experience I am having now

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #2,544 of 4,391
for anyone who thinks denon will not scale with great amps is totally wrong, just try it with a violectric 590. I am literally wondering how will denon top the 9200, with a great implemented amp like violectric the denon is on a total different level, and I had alot of amps nothing sounds like using the denon 9200 with violectric

I know some will say the denon does not need a powerful amp, I can tell you are wrong, it scales with a great amp period

This headphone proved its test period on my side long time ago, and I got so many other headphones after it, and I picked it up today and was blown by how great this headphone is, but u must have a great amp to get its full potential, and driving it from not a great amp is not at all the experience I am having now
yeah, of course great amps sound great.

in my opinion the 9200's are not hard to drive. some headphones require a lot of amp output to get the volume up high enough to enjoy. With a good high powered amp, your not pushing the amp 80-90% of max with the 9200's. it takes a lot less power to drive the 24-ohm 9200 than it does the 600-ohm Beyerdynamic T-1. if you drive the 9200 at the same power you drive the T-1's you would blow the cans out.

like i push my little dac amps to 100% pretty much constantly, my little USB DAC dongles can drive the 9200's pretty decently, i kinda wish they could go a little higher in volume but i like loud music sometimes.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #2,545 of 4,391
yeah, of course great amps sound great.

in my opinion the 9200's are not hard to drive. some headphones require a lot of amp output to get the volume up high enough to enjoy. With a good high powered amp, your not pushing the amp 80-90% of max with the 9200's. it takes a lot less power to drive the 24-ohm 9200 than it does the 600-ohm Beyerdynamic T-1. if you drive the 9200 at the same power you drive the T-1's you would blow the cans out.

like i push my little dac amps to 100% pretty much constantly, my little USB DAC dongles can drive the 9200's pretty decently, i kinda wish they could go a little higher in volume but i like loud music sometimes.

How well the drive is not about volume. The music will be more dynamic, solid and full if able to drive properly. The amp specification can’t reveal that. I don’t know why, maybe other members can explain more properly.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #2,546 of 4,391

This headphone proved its test period on my side long time ago, and I got so many other headphones after it, and I picked it up today and was blown by how great this headphone is, you simply do not need any other headphone, but u must have a great amp to get its full potential, and driving it from not a great amp is not at all the experience I am having now
Which amp will you use when you sell your 590?
I agree with you that the D9200 is so good that you don't need anything else - although it doesn't hurt to try other headphones :)

Jun 4, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #2,547 of 4,391
Which amp will you use when you sell your 590?
I agree with you that the D9200 is so good that you don't need anything else - although it doesn't hurt to try other headphones :)
my next move will be a tube amp such as headonia

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #2,549 of 4,391

Why are you selling the Violectric? Don't work as good with your other headphones or you want to try another AMP?

Edit: Ok, I have read now, you are going for a tube amp... Sorry...

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,550 of 4,391
IME the D9200 will scale with better amps, not necessarily because they would be harder to drive, but because they have the headroom. They can adopt the character of the upstream almost like a good e-stat. The D9200 really thrives on smooth, natural, dynamic upstream. Both good tube and SS amps work fine IME. I also suggest changing the stock cable too, IME good copper cables have better synergy with the D9200 (or very good pure silver ones, but I still prefer copper). But the nice thing is that one can connect them even to a good smooth DAP and they will play beautifully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back