Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
May 26, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #2,521 of 4,391
I just bought a 2021 LCD-X and I find it sounds leaner and less musical than the D9200s. I would say that the D9200 resolves micro-details even better than the LCD, but at the same time it's more musical and easier to listen to. I've been looking for an open-back companion for my D9200s and below are the current contenders: 2021 Audeze LCD-X, 2020 LCD-2 (LCD-2F), Quad ERA-1, Beyerdynamic T1.2.

The LCD-2s are really beautiful, and sound good with EQ, but nowhere near as resolving as the LCD-X. The Quad ERA's are interesting. They have a nice sound signature, and only require a little EQ. Definitely a fun sound signature, but the technical performance isn't on the same level as the LCD-X. Switching from the Quads you instantly notice how much cleaner the LCD-X sounds, and the X also resolves microdetails better.

20210526_094950.jpg
Seems like your 2 favorite headphones of the bunch of the lcdx 2021 and the d9200

May 27, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #2,522 of 4,391
What a great idea @Terriero! I happen to have an AH-D9200 day as well, perhaps I should make it a few :)

The bass on these cans is pretty incredible. I don't think there is anything like it.

@Terriero, great avatar as well!
@Terriero What amp are you using for your D9200? I'm trying to formulate something on both the Meze Empyrean and SPL Phonitor X in relation to the D9200 and I'm looking to build a bit of a reference frame for good comparisons.

May 27, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #2,523 of 4,391
@Terriero What amp are you using for your D9200? I'm trying to formulate something on both the Meze Empyrean and SPL Phonitor X in relation to the D9200 and I'm looking to build a bit of a reference frame for good comparisons.
An entry level Asus Xonar Essence One, considered a TOTL AIO in the PC forums I used to visit. But my wallet was happier... :relieved:

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #2,524 of 4,391
I adore the denon 9200 and its nothing compared to hd800 sound signature wise. To me the hd800 is not a great one, mids are thin, bass is lacking, not engaging and cold sounding, its a complete opposite of what denon 9200 is. And i played long enough with hd800 on very expensive equipments that you can see in my profile. If the denon 9200 was close to hd 800 i would never have bought denon 9200.

From all the headphones I own or owned here is my top 6 fav list

1- Hifiman HE1000SE
2- Hifiman HE 1000 V1
3- Denon 9200
4- Stax 007mk2
5- Audeze mx4
6- Meze Empyrean

For a closed back denon 9200 is a big big achievement, for it to be comparable to high end open backs is speaks volumes. To compare the denon 9200 to fostex ebony is not remotely close as well, as I had my time with that as well. Denon 9200 scales well with gears. For anyone who adores HD800 I would never recommend denon 9200 as those 2 are not alike even remotely. Again liking one signature opposite another is where we all differ. I for example can never understand why anyone would buy hd800, as to me it just sounds off, but who am I to judge, so I learned each one of us has a preferred signature, what sounds right to me might be off sounding to another. That being said I only can get surprised when denon 9200 gets compared to HD800 as those 2 are not related in anything. The HD800 has a huge sound stage which I did not hear on another headphone yet but that will not make it a good sounding headphone for me. As for denon of course it does not have the same big sound stage as HD800 and it has its own signature which is liked by many. I even can not say the denon 9200 like any headphone I heard before, it has its own character, its an audeze sound nor a hifiman sound, or a Meze empyrean sound. It is a denon sound signature which is unique in its own way. but to compare it to HD 800 is not applicable here at all. Bass, mids, highs, sound stage and tonality are completely different than hd800

Now to the most crazy mod that happened all by accident: Call it crazy as much as you like

Mod wearing 101 :) : rotate the leather pads in a way so you can let the headband sit above your eyebrows by an inch, yes it can be worn like that and you will look as silly as can be, and listen now to denon 9200 and tell me what you think :) what a crazy wearing mod. the leather pads can be rotated easily without taking the pads apart, as the pads rotate freely on the plastic ring without taking it off. Make sure when you wear it like that, the thick side of the pads are on the of your ears

I have HD800S and acquired D9200 recently. I agree every sentence you said.

HD800(s) and D9200 are very different. HD800s is thin, hallow, hard to drive, hard to find the right sound, hard to find the right music to play. I tried many things, multiple SS amps, tube amp, powerful amp, EQ, software plugin, crossfeed, different kind of sources...yet, there's still things I am unable to fix - the emptiness and the bass. D9200 is much easier to handle and very musical. It sounds great with albums from 70', 80', 90', 00'...and all the genres I play. It's forgiving but still resolving. Opposite to what HD800(s) does. I don't know how Denon can do this. Not talking about I like the bamboo shell very much. The only one thing can leave HD800(s) to do is studio monitoring and mixing, when you want to find out the very fine details in the recording. But then it's for job, but not for enjoying music.

D9200 sounds great great great. Most overlooked headphone in the community.

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #2,526 of 4,391
Jun 1, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #2,527 of 4,391
D9200 sounds great great great. Most overlooked headphone in the community.
Actually, IMHO, HP-3 may take that title.
... so true!

I got a refuge for 'overlooked' headphones (yea not exclusively) :xf_cool:
Headphone.2021.png

HP-3 is not even close to denon 9200 at all
I guess this mostly refers to the 'overlooked' state - but the HP-3 is a very enganging headphone when powered properly.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #2,531 of 4,391
To compare the denon 9200 to fostex ebony is not remotely close as well, as I had my time with that as well. Denon 9200 scales well with gears.
How is the D9200 compared to TH-X00 Ebony? I have the Ebony and would like to get better resolution and more air, would D9200 bring that?

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #2,534 of 4,391
For my D5200 I bought the Meze balanced cable, but later I found the Meze cable with inline mic, so I got those, too, so I can use these cans also for Teams/Zoom/whatnot meetings
How’s it soind to you ? I found it works the best with the stock single ended cable. Balanced cable pushes the can too much. Harsh and intrusive.

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #2,535 of 4,391
How’s it soind to you ? I found it works the best with the stock single ended cable. Balanced cable pushes the can too much. Harsh and intrusive.
Not my intention to start a cable debate :) but I don't think it's your cable. Your balanced source is maybe/probably too powerful and maybe bright sounding?

The 9200 don't need a lot of power to shine(but don't mind it), but they need a warmer source with more low end than treble sparkle. With the right source and the right music the 9200 is very close to be unbeatable :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back