Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
May 10, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #2,476 of 4,391
Anyone own or have owned both the Arya and D9200 that can share how they compare? I know its not apples to apples, but would be curious how they stack up against each other since both are similarly priced in the USA and are on my shortlist.

May 11, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #2,477 of 4,391
I took a punt and have the D9200s about to be sent from Japan as my only closed back headphones, apart from my EQ'd 1More over ears that I use at work.

Despite owning & enjoying the Sundaras & Anandas, I've never auditioned the Arya or anything else from Hifiman with that headband design as it just looks ugly on the head. I am sooooo vain! :jecklinsmile:

May 12, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #2,479 of 4,391
Anyone own or have owned both the Arya and D9200 that can share how they compare? I know its not apples to apples, but would be curious how they stack up against each other since both are similarly priced in the USA and are on my shortlist.

I've owned and sold the Hifiman Ananda and still own the Denon AH-D9200. It's not an Arya, however these were my second pair of Hifiman headphones and I don't think I'll ever buy Hifiman again based on the experience and I think the Arya sadly shares a lot of the traits I find so bad. It's comparing a headphone with one three times it's price but Hifimans quality doesn't scale as well so I think it holds.

The unfair fight: I found the Ananda boring and unexciting and I ended up with the AH-D9200 on my head most of the time. The sounds out of the Ananda is beautiful but uninteresting whilst the sound out of the D9200 is alive and kicking. The Ananda might a tad more openness and soundstage but doesn't necessarily hold the crown when it comes to resolution and speed. Especially music that has electronic elements just don't come alive on the Ananda.

What applies to the Arya as well: In addition to this, even with it's quirks and sqeaks, I find the Denon so much more well built and comfortable. The Hifiman is stiff, the materials don't feel nice, the lack of swivel makes the fit awkward until you've had it on your head for long enough that it's worn down around it. The cables that come with the D9200, though unflashy, are some of the best and most comfortable I have in general, whilst the cables of the Hifiman are soooooo crap I've only picked them up once.

I found my open back and planar companion to the D9200 in the Meze Empyrean.

May 12, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #2,480 of 4,391
Last night, I was enjoyed a lot listening to jazz with Sony Z7s, but then I tried with an OST that I love and know very well: "Basil Poledouris - Conan the Barbarian" and the sound was sooo boring, I didn't like with those cans.

Right now, I'm listening to the same OST with the 9200s and I'm finding very detailed, emotional and impactful... Like I say in the forum a lot of times, this hobby is wonderful :L3000: :two_hearts:

May 12, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #2,481 of 4,391
Last night, I was enjoyed a lot listening to jazz with Sony Z7s, but then I tried with an OST that I love and know very well: "Basil Poledouris - Conan the Barbarian" and the sound was sooo boring, I didn't like with those cans.

Right now, I'm listening to the same OST with the 9200s and I'm finding very detailed, emotional and impactful... Like I say in the forum a lot of times, this hobby is wonderful :L3000: :two_hearts:
Perfection in this hobby only lasts in small moments.

May 12, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #2,483 of 4,391
Perfection in this hobby only lasts in small moments.
I've long given up on the pursuit of perfection. However, I take whatever fleeting moments that come my way. They are enough to justify the copious amounts of time, effort, and money invested in this hobby. :)

May 17, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #2,484 of 4,391
I blame you guys for making me go into this rabbit hole!

So I liked how the D9200 sounded and that they were so underrated and started looking for open backs with similar drivers and found the Fostex 909 which not many talk about too. Though it's semi-open, I've just started messing with it and my different amps/dacs. :darthsmile:

20210211_112108[1242].jpg
Sorry to quote an old post but what I was wondering what were your impressions of the TH909 compared with the D9200? I'm trying to decide between the two but cant seem to find many direct comparisons, I owned a TH900 previously which I enjoyed a lot so was interested in the TH909 but the D9200 also has me interested as it sounds like they may be slightly better all-rounders than the Fostex (will be using them for quite a wide variety of music as well as watching movies).

May 17, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #2,485 of 4,391
how are the d5200 comparee to the 9200s? Big difference? I just got the focal celestee and have ordered the denon ah d5200.For the price of these two,i could have gotten the 9200s.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #2,486 of 4,391
The D5200 is not bad but entry-level. The D7200 are way more mature and closer to the D9200 than to the D5200. If you have room in your budget, I would skip the D5200 and try to find a good pre-owned D7200

May 17, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #2,487 of 4,391
Sorry to quote an old post but what I was wondering what were your impressions of the TH909 compared with the D9200? I'm trying to decide between the two but cant seem to find many direct comparisons, I owned a TH900 previously which I enjoyed a lot so was interested in the TH909 but the D9200 also has me interested as it sounds like they may be slightly better all-rounders than the Fostex (will be using them for quite a wide variety of music as well as watching movies).
Get both then you know. Or not know but believe.

May 17, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #2,488 of 4,391
The D5200 is not bad but entry-level. The D7200 are way more mature and closer to the D9200 than to the D5200. If you have room in your budget, I would skip the D5200 and try to find a good pre-owned D7200
I have read both positive and negative things about the 7200s.And one reviewer said the 5200s had some advanteges over the 7200s.How is the sound on the 7200s? Is it musical/fun sounding?

May 17, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #2,489 of 4,391

No problems at all!

The TH909 are open backs (though they're technically Semi open backs), so if you're looking for isolation the D9200 will be a better fit for that role.

As you mentioned, the D9200 are better all-rounders than the 909s and worked fine with all of my amps and DAPs, however, the TH909 is so picky due to its very low impedance, you might have a hard time finding an excellent amp that it won't sound shrill and sibilant with. In my case, the TH909 sounded good through the PS5 controller headphone jack (strange, I know :)), iFi Micro BL, Chord Stack and the Shanling M30. All my other gear didn't pair well with the Fostex especially the iBasso DX300 DAP which otherwise sounded fantastic paired with the D9200.

So if you have a budget for only one headphone, grab the D9200 and enjoy. The TH909 are a fun listen but extremely picky about the amps that you're going to use. :)

May 17, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #2,490 of 4,391
I have read both positive and negative things about the 7200s.And one reviewer said the 5200s had some advanteges over the 7200s.How is the sound on the 7200s? Is it musical/fun sounding?
The D5200 feel "cheaper" than its big sisters. Bit more plasticky with shallower pads .. My gut feeling also says they used PLeather instead of Leather? Anyway, D5200 has a sharper roll-off in the upper frequencies, and as such sounds a bit more darker compressed and still a tad sibilant. And the bass is a tad more overbearing. The D7200 has a more refined soundscape, less overbearing lows but better defined and better layered. Gives a much opener picture in comparison and much more musicality and fun. The D9200 does everything better (just not $900 better btw) than the D7200, but with a good source, the D7200 comes a very long way indeed. But if you are serious about your hi-res source material and amplification, then the D5200 does not do justice to it. Not suited for really critical listening I guess ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back