Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #1,996 of 4,391
While I can see how your ranking might be polarizing (some things just don't follow the majority), I think nobody should be hurt to hear/read an opinion differing from his/her own. Great discussions do not come from people with the same opinion, but from talking about differences, different views, needs, wants. As I said before, we obviously don't share preferences (I'm more with @Malevolent on that) I appreciate the work you put into this listing. The internet tends to be a rough place, with anonymity leading to insults that most people would never think about when talking in person. This is unfortunate, and maybe due to the feeling of limited impact.

Another problem might be that people with differing opinions are often much more vocal about that than people supporting one. Maybe those should also speak up more often.

Overall, thank you for your contributions. Looking forward to future discussions!
Please excuse me if my formulations have gone wrong. I think that your site is a really good institution on the web and would like to thank you for your work. I have absolute respect for it! However, I disagree with some of your results and had announced this here in the forum - which I think is OK in a forum. This was not done to make your work bad or that I saw myself discredited with my opinion or to hope for confirmation of my purchases. Audio is indeed a very subjective hobby and that's the charm of it. If you expose your opinion on the net, there will always be discussions about it - that's why I can't understand why people here get so upset about such a discussion or expressions of opinion. Be it as it is - I wish you continued success with your passion for headphones and will now turn on my personal S-grade headphones :wink:

Disagreements are fine, after all I've had my fair share. I also believe in civility (or at the very least, reciprocal civility) so disagreements can and should be sorted out accordingly, without attacking one's character, ethics or even profession. I know people will get upset at what I say sometimes, which is why I recently I've stepped back in engaging with the community recently out of fear of things going south, which has happened more than a few times already.

(Of course there are limits. For instance, what does the AirPods Max have to do with the D9200? Absolutely nothing in this context.)

I've written paragraphs upon paragraphs of disclaimers to formally state that anything non-measurement-related is purely of my own subjective opinion, but obviously not everyone reads it despite being the first thing that pops up on the page. I understand the frustration that comes with people taking my words as gospel, but it's even more frustrating when people take my words out of context and clickbaiting on my behalf. I mostly keep to myself and post on my website and my social medias, that's it.

Negative reviews, harsh opinions attract far more attention that going with the flow. Some folks earn money from their sites, not that there is anything wrong with that, and some self fund and refuse to go down that path.

I know you despise me and want me gone from the hobby, but I need to address this.

Going against the grain is not the easy way to get attention, far from it. As you've mentioned, many out there seek validation so being hypercritical is basically a one-way ticket to being insulted, diminished and blacklisted. Sure you get attention early on, but it's not sustainable in the least especially if one is disingenuously writing purposefully negative reviews. Now, I managed to make my own review style work but clearly I'm not the norm in the "review industry" if you want to call it that. Survivorship bias, so to speak.

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #1,997 of 4,391
@crinacle

As soon as the lockdown allows it, I will hunt for quite a few headphones you tested.
It gives me a chance to get out of the house but also to see if I find something I did not consider.
Regarding you keeping to yourself, I understand you have to tread lightly.
In my view you should see that we are quite a few here with constructive points when we disagree with your list.
I would find it a big loss if you would no longer participate and bring your view in the matter or future rankings.
The headphone world is rather dynamic and without constructive criticism / opposing views what is the point of headfi?

I admit that my points of view are less vocal than in the past.
This comes with age and the ability to shift my entry into a new bracket of products.
As a student teaching at university and working during weekends in Tesco (UK Supermarket), I would not even dream to purchase a 9200 pair of headphones. With a tight budget you tend to be a bit defensive of what you own and might feel the need for external validation. I am not claiming that price always defines quality. There are plenty of good products out there with low prices but once you can shell out some serious cash you get a minimum level of quality which cannot be found in other brackets.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #1,998 of 4,391
Disagreements are fine, after all I've had my fair share. I also believe in civility (or at the very least, reciprocal civility) so disagreements can and should be sorted out accordingly, without attacking one's character, ethics or even profession. I know people will get upset at what I say sometimes, which is why I recently I've stepped back in engaging with the community recently out of fear of things going south, which has happened more than a few times already.

(Of course there are limits. For instance, what does the AirPods Max have to do with the D9200? Absolutely nothing in this context.)

I've written paragraphs upon paragraphs of disclaimers to formally state that anything non-measurement-related is purely of my own subjective opinion, but obviously not everyone reads it despite being the first thing that pops up on the page. I understand the frustration that comes with people taking my words as gospel, but it's even more frustrating when people take my words out of context and clickbaiting on my behalf. I mostly keep to myself and post on my website and my social medias, that's it.

I know you despise me and want me gone from the hobby, but I need to address this.

Going against the grain is not the easy way to get attention, far from it. As you've mentioned, many out there seek validation so being hypercritical is basically a one-way ticket to being insulted, diminished and blacklisted. Sure you get attention early on, but it's not sustainable in the least especially if one is disingenuously writing purposefully negative reviews. Now, I managed to make my own review style work but clearly I'm not the norm in the "review industry" if you want to call it that. Survivorship bias, so to speak.

Crinacle,

Please, don't make this personal, I don't know you and I don't despise you. I do not agree with your methods, but that is my prerogative. We just have a different way of testing things before publishing comments. Any one that makes a comment or a review is open to criticism. Lord knows, I face plenty or criticism.

There is no competition, and I encourage folks to read as many opinions as they can and never make a purchasing decision based solely on my reviews or comments.

I don't personally know enough about obtaining measurements or your method or equipment to criticize your graphs, so I don't comment on it except to say this provides value to many folks that use science as part of their decision making process. I applaud you for that.

We all have our style, and we just have two different styles. I congratulate you for choosing this as your career path and dedicating the time to it. It is a hobby for me and I want to bring value in a different way.

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #1,999 of 4,391

As you know, when I saw the D9200 being placed next to the D7200 with C-grade on your list, I was a little confused and looked at the measurements if something was wrong. So I was curious to reed the next review of an Overear - that was the Apple Headphones. So that's the context. That both headphones are in the same list is another one. Unless you want people to compare apples to oranges, apples shouldn't be on the same list as oranges. Sorry- So for me this is not a limit that is exceeded by this.

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #2,000 of 4,391
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #2,001 of 4,391
Hello Crinacle,

For the HD820 remarks - "The mystical acoustic properties of Gorilla Glass could not save this monstrosity. ", Can you elaborate and share what could possibly be so "monstrous" about its sound?

Thanks.

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #2,002 of 4,391
I think we should close this slight but unfortunate chapter. Let's continue to talk about the AH-D9200, shall we?

Regardless of what anyone thinks about this headphone, or any other, what truly matters is whether you enjoy them or not. If you don't, then you certainly need to look toward greener pastures. But if you are, then nothing's going to change that, right? :)

Here's a personal anecdote - I have tried almost every contemporary top-level closed-back headphone, including many of the hallowed open-back luminaries, and the one that I keep going back to, is the AH-D9200. It has the perfect blend of balance, bass (quality, quantity, and texture), treble brilliance, and midrange magic. Each track that I play through the Denon headphones feels like a new, enriching journey. I know that sounded (somewhat) absurd and tacky, but I'm truly relishing my time with them. I struggle to fathom how any other headphone can better encapsulate what I desire in a personal listening experience.

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #2,004 of 4,391
Dec 23, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #2,006 of 4,391

Don’t want to drag this on, but just wanted to say that in my experience very few who disagree with you despise you and those who do need to get a life. I obviously disagree with you a lot and you ranking the D9200 like that only makes them all the more interesting for me :wink:, but I still wish you all the best with your recent endeavors and hope you can realize your ambitions (going pro, etc).

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #2,007 of 4,391
Would be interesting to test. As the seller lives only 30 min from my base, maybe I will visit him and do a test.
If it sounds near or equal to D9200 I think 600€ is a bargain. Downside is resellability.

You made me curious now.
Would be interested in your view on this combo.
Remember to stay safe and keep rocking !

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #2,008 of 4,391
I just ordered a set of 9200's, after I went to the shop to try the 7200's after much research but limited access to various cans. Sad day for my bank account....but I knew I should not have put the 9200's to my ears. Figured why not go from $150 to $1500 headphones, right? Planning on keeping these until they turn into dust. This is the price territory where I will avoid telling people how much they cost so they don't think I'm insane.

My main attraction to them was their great sound (much clearer/more precise than 7200's) and that they are super easy to drive (vs. things like the Aeon 2's), which is important because I work from all over the place, and often with limited desk real-estate, power outlets, etc. They are portable, in the way I need when working from place to place.

I know everything sounds better when paired with other great, and expensive, gear. I currently have the schiit fulla, and want to keep a low profile rather than have my desk look like I'm operating a nuclear powerplant.

The chord mojo looks great, but is pretty expensive....is there a point in going for something lower down on the price ladder? I will of course look at something like a used MOJO, but is that going to deliver a considerable sound difference for my 'salt of the earth' intentions?

Maybe in 2-3 years time, I could stomach getting somthing for $500, but right now....maybe the fulla will do alright? Or should I look at something else that will help in the sound without totally putting me in debt ( I like soundstage :) )

Appreciate the tips in advance....

P007

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2,009 of 4,391
Here on a German site for used goods is a very interesting offer. A mix of D5200 (cups), D7200 (headband and pads) and D9200 (driver). What do you think? Will the D9200 driver sound good in the D5200 cups?
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...h-d-7200-ah-d-9200-lesen-/1607202147-172-1157
Very curious about. :)

But i'd prefer the headband of the 9200 to the 7200.
The 7200s headband isn't well designed bc of the "flat" fit while on my head.
It doesn't follow the shape of the skull very well.
Tried to fix it with bending but this caused to much clamping force to my ears/head.
With that lower clamping force, it makes the pads of the 9200 much more comfortable to me too.

The 9200s headband has a solid
structure underneath the padding without the 'cap' of the 7200s headband.

Have marked it in the following picture.
Between these rubbers is the 'cap', which doesn't exist on the 9200.
sketch-1608750612645.png
sketch-1608750558575.png

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #2,010 of 4,391
I just ordered a set of 9200's, after I went to the shop to try the 7200's after much research but limited access to various cans. Sad day for my bank account....but I knew I should not have put the 9200's to my ears. Figured why not go from $150 to $1500 headphones, right? Planning on keeping these until they turn into dust. This is the price territory where I will avoid telling people how much they cost so they don't think I'm insane.

My main attraction to them was their great sound (much clearer/more precise than 7200's) and that they are super easy to drive (vs. things like the Aeon 2's), which is important because I work from all over the place, and often with limited desk real-estate, power outlets, etc. They are portable, in the way I need when working from place to place.

I know everything sounds better when paired with other great, and expensive, gear. I currently have the schiit fulla, and want to keep a low profile rather than have my desk look like I'm operating a nuclear powerplant.

The chord mojo looks great, but is pretty expensive....is there a point in going for something lower down on the price ladder? I will of course look at something like a used MOJO, but is that going to deliver a considerable sound difference for my 'salt of the earth' intentions?

Maybe in 2-3 years time, I could stomach getting somthing for $500, but right now....maybe the fulla will do alright? Or should I look at something else that will help in the sound without totally putting me in debt ( I like soundstage :) )

Appreciate the tips in advance....

P007
I drive the D9200 with a E1DA 9038s as a mobile solution, which is a verry nice combo and IMHO at least on the sound level of a mojo. For me this is currently mobile endgame sound - very clean, perfect separation, great soundstage.
But for 9038s you need a balanced cable. There is also a 9038D with SE output. Soundwise its on level with 9038s but with less power -
which doesn't matter for the D9200.
https://e1dashz.wixsite.com

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/e1da-9038s-gen-3.24573/reviews
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/e1d...-pdv2-9038s-9038d-9038x-hifitoy-hptoy.915835/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back