Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2,011 of 4,391
I just ordered a set of 9200's, after I went to the shop to try the 7200's after much research but limited access to various cans. Sad day for my bank account....but I knew I should not have put the 9200's to my ears. Figured why not go from $150 to $1500 headphones, right? Planning on keeping these until they turn into dust. This is the price territory where I will avoid telling people how much they cost so they don't think I'm insane.

My main attraction to them was their great sound (much clearer/more precise than 7200's) and that they are super easy to drive (vs. things like the Aeon 2's), which is important because I work from all over the place, and often with limited desk real-estate, power outlets, etc. They are portable, in the way I need when working from place to place.

I know everything sounds better when paired with other great, and expensive, gear. I currently have the schiit fulla, and want to keep a low profile rather than have my desk look like I'm operating a nuclear powerplant.

The chord mojo looks great, but is pretty expensive....is there a point in going for something lower down on the price ladder? I will of course look at something like a used MOJO, but is that going to deliver a considerable sound difference for my 'salt of the earth' intentions?

Maybe in 2-3 years time, I could stomach getting somthing for $500, but right now....maybe the fulla will do alright? Or should I look at something else that will help in the sound without totally putting me in debt ( I like soundstage :) )

Appreciate the tips in advance....

P007
If you want to stay within the Schiit ecosystem, an Asgard 3 should likely fulfil most of your headphone-driving needs from here on out. It is a beast of an amplifier.

Anyway, enjoy your AH-D9200! :)

Dec 23, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #2,012 of 4,391
I think we should close this slight but unfortunate chapter. Let's continue to talk about the AH-D9200, shall we?

Regardless of what anyone thinks about this headphone, or any other, what truly matters is whether you enjoy them or not. If you don't, then you certainly need to look toward greener pastures. But if you are, then nothing's going to change that, right? :)

Here's a personal anecdote - I have tried almost every contemporary top-level closed-back headphone, including many of the hallowed open-back luminaries, and the one that I keep going back to, is the AH-D9200. It has the perfect blend of balance, bass (quality, quantity, and texture), treble brilliance, and midrange magic. Each track that I play through the Denon headphones feels like a new, enriching journey. I know that sounded (somewhat) absurd and tacky, but I'm truly relishing my time with them. I struggle to fathom how any other headphone can better encapsulate what I desire in a personal listening experience.

I completely agree with you

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #2,014 of 4,391
I hate it because now I want to try the D9200 even more (friends of mine also keep recommending them). :wink::sweat_smile:
My friend, I recommend that you absolutely try the D9200. I left other headphones that, on paper, are of a higher level. I bought another headphone amplifier (Burson Soloist 3XP), changed the cables (ForzaAudioWorks Claire Hybrid HPC), at the end of it all I can assure you that they are, by far, the best headphones listened to so far and the most underrated.

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #2,015 of 4,391
My friend, I recommend that you absolutely try the D9200. I left other headphones that, on paper, are of a higher level. I bought another headphone amplifier (Burson Soloist 3XP), changed the cables (ForzaAudioWorks Claire Hybrid HPC), at the end of it all I can assure you that they are, by far, the best headphones listened to so far and the most underrated.
Will certainly see if I can find a demo unit once things have normalized over here (we’re back in lockdown). Hopefully I will get a demo unit of the Violectric V380 soon, which could be the start of the desktop setup I have planned for next year.

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #2,016 of 4,391
I just ordered a set of 9200's, after I went to the shop to try the 7200's after much research but limited access to various cans. Sad day for my bank account....but I knew I should not have put the 9200's to my ears. Figured why not go from $150 to $1500 headphones, right? Planning on keeping these until they turn into dust. This is the price territory where I will avoid telling people how much they cost so they don't think I'm insane.

My main attraction to them was their great sound (much clearer/more precise than 7200's) and that they are super easy to drive (vs. things like the Aeon 2's), which is important because I work from all over the place, and often with limited desk real-estate, power outlets, etc. They are portable, in the way I need when working from place to place.

I know everything sounds better when paired with other great, and expensive, gear. I currently have the schiit fulla, and want to keep a low profile rather than have my desk look like I'm operating a nuclear powerplant.

The chord mojo looks great, but is pretty expensive....is there a point in going for something lower down on the price ladder? I will of course look at something like a used MOJO, but is that going to deliver a considerable sound difference for my 'salt of the earth' intentions?

Maybe in 2-3 years time, I could stomach getting somthing for $500, but right now....maybe the fulla will do alright? Or should I look at something else that will help in the sound without totally putting me in debt ( I like soundstage :) )

Appreciate the tips in advance....

P007

Welcome to the club.
Take it easy, enjoy and good things come to those who wait.
If you want a Topping Stack, I will make you a good price on it.

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #2,017 of 4,391
It is also sad that many feel they need validation from some random guy on the internet to enjoy their gear. If you enjoy it, you enjoy it. Who cares what anyone thinks?

Best quote of the year! Well said sir!

Dec 23, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #2,018 of 4,391
I drive the D9200 with a E1DA 9038s as a mobile solution, which is a verry nice combo and IMHO at least on the sound level of a mojo. For me this is currently mobile endgame sound - very clean, perfect separation, great soundstage.
But for 9038s you need a balanced cable. There is also a 9038D with SE output. Soundwise its on level with 9038s but with less power -
which doesn't matter for the D9200.
https://e1dashz.wixsite.com

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/e1da-9038s-gen-3.24573/reviews
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/e1d...-pdv2-9038s-9038d-9038x-hifitoy-hptoy.915835/

Thanks for the tips! Those seem pretty reasonably priced! Will look into balanced cables, but it seems like it should be 2.5mm to work with that?

I do like having a volume knob for quick turn down and adjustment.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #2,019 of 4,391
If you want to stay within the Schiit ecosystem, an Asgard 3 should likely fulfil most of your headphone-driving needs from here on out. It is a beast of an amplifier.

Anyway, enjoy your AH-D9200! :)

Thanks for the input!

Don't need to stay schiit, but they are a known quantity.

There are just so many options out there and so little time...

Will definitely enjoy them either way :)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #2,020 of 4,391
Thanks for the tips! Those seem pretty reasonably priced! Will look into balanced cables, but it seems like it should be 2.5mm to work with that?

I do like having a volume knob for quick turn down and adjustment.
Yes, you need 2.5mm TRRS for 9038s and 3.5mm TRS for 9038d. But volume can only be controlled via software. If you want to be mobile, Topping NX4 DSD could also be an option. It has a volume knob.

Dec 24, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #2,021 of 4,391
I hate it because now I want to try the D9200 even more (friends of mine also keep recommending them). :wink::sweat_smile:
You can't go wrong, my friend. It is a gem of a headphone, especially within the closed headphone space. :)

The only issue is with stock, I feel. Denon seems to have a problem keeping these headphones in constant supply, despite their gross lack of marketing.

Dec 24, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #2,022 of 4,391
You can't go wrong, my friend. It is a gem of a headphone, especially within the closed headphone space. :)

The only issue is with stock, I feel. Denon seems to have a problem keeping these headphones in constant supply, despite their gross lack of marketing.
It was a real shame that it came too early, but we had a really good deal on them here in the Netherlands a while back. Hopefully that will come again once I have the necessary funds set aside.

Dec 24, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #2,024 of 4,391
https://www.hifiklubben.nl has the D9200 constantly for 1.195€ but currently out of stock.
Thanks! Yes, that is one of the few places I was able to find the D9200 over here. Also saw them under €1,000 a while back (might have been someone linking to it in this thread), which I think was a really good deal. Will definitely keep HiFi Klubben in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back