Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #2,026 of 4,391
Thanks! Yes, that is one of the few places I was able to find the D9200 over here. Also saw them under €1,000 a while back (might have been someone linking to it in this thread), which I think was a really good deal. Will definitely keep HiFi Klubben in mind.

Wow, those are good prices for new. I'm hoping to get down to a bit below after I take the VAT off on my way back to Norway, but otherwise it's 1399eur in France.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #2,028 of 4,391
This is quite an interesting headphone for an interesting reason: it is not very interesting yet amazing.

I find the AH-D9200 an exceptionally musical headphone that really makes your music come to life and renders it beautifully. So far in my listening I'd say it completely lacks in outspoken 'features' that other flagships have and that makes them very special. There is nothing that that immediately grabs your attention. However the AH-D9200 almost disappear and let you listen to the music.

I think that might qualify as a dull sound :wink: In my view this is not a flagship like all others that seem to excel in a specific thing.

I can see reviewers hate this headphone because it doesn't give them anything to talk about.

If there is anything to nitpick it might be the ssssssssiblance that comes out here and there.

@mmwwmm, I'm around 056xx

@Terriero, I've bought a couple of times from Wifimedia and they have always been more than good to me.

And here is a pic for the Focal Arche x Denon AH-D9200 Club :)

BVH02349_4.jpg
I am surprised that you say nothing stands out on the 9200. The bass is amazing and the best combined quality/quantity bass I have heard in a headphone to include Z1R, LCDX, Clear, Cascade, T5p, Sonorous X, Utopia, and Edition 15. A frequency graph of the 9200 shows a very boosted sub-bass and bass and a sparkly treble.

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #2,029 of 4,391
I am surprised that you say nothing stands out on the 9200. The bass is amazing and the best combined quality/quantity bass I have heard in a headphone to include Z1R, LCDX, Clear, Cascade, T5p, Sonorous X, Utopia, and Edition 15. A frequency graph of the 9200 shows a very boosted sub-bass and bass and a sparkly treble.

@Halimj7: I think that for the first time I couldn't say something was wrong with a headphone on first listen. It took a few weeks to see what was soo right :)

I'm going to try the Z1R later this week and I'm curious as to how it competes on the bass front.

@Terriero great to read your initial impressions :) I'm quite keen to hear how you're enjoying it a few months in.

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #2,030 of 4,391
@Halimj7: I think that for the first time I couldn't say something was wrong with a headphone on first listen. It took a few weeks to see what was soo right :)

I'm going to try the Z1R later this week and I'm curious as to how it competes on the bass front.

@Terriero great to read your initial impressions :) I'm quite keen to hear how you're enjoying it a few months in.

denon ah-d9200 is a classic Japanese sound.

its a little bit fun shaped, but analytical and accurate.

aka a good sound

i like it

i might be a weeb

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #2,031 of 4,391
I had a wonderful D9200 session this morning. Using the Romi BX2+, SP2000 and Dire Straits DSF Communique..started my day off right

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #2,032 of 4,391
Good question, I did, but memories have faded (I don't even have time to look up my own previous posts on that, but I might have mentioned something, please check).
IIRC the D9200 wooden cups were less resonant in the mids (also shown in measurements). My experience so far with various woods for cups is contrary to mainstream: IME lighter woods but with good structure sound better (more musical, more lively) than heavier woods. Walnut is pretty good, though.

I might want to actually try that again, I got interested myself, since funnily enough, the D9200 sounds better with the D7200 cables and vice versa.
Time to check the cups, too. :) I also want to measure them in all combinations, including the stock and other ear pads.

Right now I am very busy with work and end of year stuff, but when I find a quiet 3 hours to do this, I will do it, during one of the nights, probably, maybe this year :).
[ In the end, I will likely keep only one closed headphone, so two of my fine-tuned D9200, D7200, TH900 need to go, together with other stuff I don't use nowadays because office is at home. Maybe this test will help me figure out which.]
Thanks, I look forward to hearing what you find - and which headphones you decide to keep.
I hadn't thought about the pads. I had alway assumed that the d7200 and d9200 pads were the same, but it would be good to know if there's a difference in sound.

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #2,034 of 4,391
Dec 30, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #2,035 of 4,391

I'm very interested in your Z1R impressions, specially regarding to bass... I have read @Malevolent comparison and I wonder how exactly you compare the bass of the Z1R to the 9200's.

Right now I'm enjoying a lot a spanish band with the Denons: Mago de Oz :L3000:

Dec 30, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #2,036 of 4,391
Thanks, I look forward to hearing what you find - and which headphones you decide to keep.
I hadn't thought about the pads. I had alway assumed that the d7200 and d9200 pads were the same, but it would be good to know if there's a difference in sound.
Recently, @Chris Kaoss compared the 7200s to the 9200s and he decided to keep the later and sell the former. Some pages back, you can find some impressions about.

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #2,037 of 4,391
I'm very interested in your Z1R impressions, specially regarding to bass... I have read @Malevolent comparison and I wonder how exactly you compare the bass of the Z1R to the 9200's.

Right now I'm enjoying a lot a spanish band with the Denons: Mago de Oz :L3000:

I found the bass on the Z1R to be very flat but not really boosted enough for my taste, in fact did not consider it to be a bassy headphone additionally the upper mids and treble seemed very grainy and a little bright. This was a surprise to me because I had heard from so many people that it was a bassy and warm headphone. I found it to be slightly bright. I consider the 9200 to be a bassy headphone with smoother treble. I think the 9200 has some of the best quality bass for a bassy headphone.

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #2,038 of 4,391
I found the bass on the Z1R to be very flat but not really boosted enough for my taste, in fact did not consider it to be a bassy headphone additionally the upper mids and treble seemed very grainy and a little bright. This was a surprise to me because I had heard from so many people that it was a bassy and warm headphone. I found it to be slightly bright. I consider the 9200 to be a bassy headphone with smoother treble. I think the 9200 has some of the best quality bass for a bassy headphone.

The only way I can put it is that the AH-D9200 has a lot more contrast in the bass whilst the MDR-Z1R has more resolution.

I've been switching the AH-D9200 and the MDR-Z1R on my new TA-ZH1ES (thanks to muting output selection :smile_phones: and multiple balanced out). So I have some early impressions.

And on first listen, the AH-D9200 definitely sounds like it is much faster and even that it has a bit of a tighter, more controlled, and stronger bass. The AH-D9200 packs a stronger punch and feels significantly more controlled, almost like there is a reverb on the MDR-Z1R bass. The MDR-Z1R has a bass that has a large soundstage, is very rich and textured even though it misses that punchy characteristic, and thus is also more laid back. It feels like there is so much more in the bass on the MDR-Z1R.

I would actually not say that any of these is not a bassy headphone. They seem to carry a similar amount of bass. However, they render it completely differently. The AH-D9200 having much and the MDR-Z1R having many. The AH-D9200 is an active listening experience which offers contrast, punch, and slam whilst the MDR-Z1R is more relaxed and gives us resolution, texture, and width.

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #2,039 of 4,391
I also have both and I find myself well in your comparison. I'm a huge fan of the Z1R, but since the 9200 has been here it's been in my ears almost all the time. Only difference of appreciation perhaps, I find that the 9200 has a better resolution, more precise too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back