The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 28, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #1,321 of 6,348
The spec sheet of these says that it uses MMCX connectors. Does that mean it's using the same cable as that of the SE IEMs, or a bunch of other MMCX IEMs?

If yes, could you possibly make this wireless with the wireless MMCX cable or TWS ear hooks?
Mmm, the SRH1540 uses MMCX connectors; however, I don't know if the shank is the same size as the ones used on its IEMs (they may be bigger or thicker).

Plus, I don't think that the SRH1540 can be used with a TWS ear-hook device, since the latter should not be able to drive the headphone.

Dec 28, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,322 of 6,348
The spec sheet of these says that it uses MMCX connectors. Does that mean it's using the same cable as that of the SE IEMs, or a bunch of other MMCX IEMs?

If yes, could you possibly make this wireless with the wireless MMCX cable or TWS ear hooks?

They are indeed using MMCX connectors, but I've never tried them using any wireless MMCX neckband or ear hooks -- the latter would seem to not work well given the shape and I suspect they would cause connection issues, not staying in sturdily.

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #1,323 of 6,348
Indeed, when I first got my 1540s I rushed into buying some new cables with the standard MMCX connector, because you know, MMCX is MMCX right? Well yes, but actually no! They require thinner sheathes on the cable attachment end to fit into their recessed connector ports. So in the case of the 1540, at least, one MMCX is not like the other.

I hope @Terriero has gone AWOL because he's finally received his 9200s and is too pre-occupied experiencing new levels of mind-gasms :grinning:

giphy.gif

Dec 28, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,324 of 6,348
Indeed, when I first got my 1540s I rushed into buying some new cables with the standard MMCX connector, because you know, MMCX is MMCX right? Well yes, but actually no! They require thinner sheathes on the cable attachment end to fit into their recessed connector ports. So in the case of the 1540, at least, one MMCX is not like the other.

I hope @Terriero has gone AWOL because he's finally received his 9200s and is too pre-occupied experiencing new levels of mind-gasms :grinning:

giphy.gif
I'm here :wink:, but very busy because of Christmas (children at home and making some modifications inside house)... Yes, I have them on right now :relaxed: :relieved: and I'm trying them. I tried briefly this afternoon with some metal and symphonic rock and right now I'm listening to Spiritual Front - Amor Braque... Very soon to give you my impressions, because I had them in an altar and have to get use to their personal register (you know I'm coming from the Z7 and HD 800).

Dec 28, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #1,326 of 6,348
I'm here :wink:, but very busy because of Christmas (children at home and making some modifications inside house)... Yes, I have them on right now :relaxed: :relieved: and I'm trying them. I tried briefly this afternoon with some metal and symphonic rock and right now I'm listening to Spiritual Front - Amor Braque... Very soon to give you my impressions, because I had them in an altar and have to get use to their personal register (you know I'm coming from the Z7 and HD 800).
Felicidades Amigo.!! If comfort is not an issue, none will be.! 👍🏻

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #1,327 of 6,348
Interested if any of you other EDM (and it's numerous substrates) fans are subscribers to Digitally Imported? I've been using them for years and find them one of the best sources for high quality (320kbps) streams for this genre. They also make it simple to export your favourite channels as streams so I have all of mine lined up for WASAPI use in Foobar. Bonus :sunglasses:

Currently listening to some deep house on the 846s (hey, they're technically closed!).

DI Foobar.JPG

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,328 of 6,348
And, just like that.. Kennerton's new closed-back planar magnetic headphone was revealed.

Introducing the Kennerton Rognir.

1608933125864.png

For those of you who've read some of my posts concerning the Gjallarhorn GH50, I think that Kennerton has a robust platform in place to produce great headphones. The Gjallarhorn is a potent bass fiend, and the company has largely succeeded in producing a headphone that produces some of the best textured lows in the business.

Now that they've set their sighs on conquering the planar world, I believe that this has what it takes to challenge for the "Best Closed Planar" title. Not that there is a whole lot of competition going on, but yeah, we're going places. :wink:
I do wonder how much these will be. These will definately be awesome. I only need one closed back and my Gjallarhorn JM fits the bill....but you never know.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,329 of 6,348
I'm glad that you've finally got your hands on the AH-D9200!

I hope that you're enjoying them right now. Please remember to visit Head-Fi every now and then, okay? :wink:

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #1,330 of 6,348
I do wonder how much these will be. These will definately be awesome. I only need one closed back and my Gjallarhorn JM fits the bill....but you never know.
The Rögnir is, in all likelihood, assuming the mantle of Kennerton's closed-back flagship; thus, it'll probably be priced within the vicinity of its current Thror and Thekk headphones. I'd wager that it'll hit the market at a grand figure of €3,000. It's a steep price, but it's one that's in line with their current TOTL offerings. Oh, well.

On that note, I have started showering my wife with more compliments. You've got to get started with that purchase plan, you know. :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #1,331 of 6,348
Thank you all for your response to my request for advice.

I managed come across a pair of Nightowls so I grabbed them, I know they are a polarising HP but I get the impression that they will fit my desires and are a lot of head phone for the price. Figure I can sell on if I don't gel with them.

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #1,332 of 6,348
The Rögnir is, in all likelihood, assuming the mantle of Kennerton's closed-back flagship; thus, it'll probably be priced within the vicinity of its current Thror and Thekk headphones. I'd wager that it'll hit the market at a grand figure of €3,000. It's a steep price, but it's one that's in line with their current TOTL offerings. Oh, well.

On that note, I have started showering my wife with more compliments. You've got to get started with that purchase plan, you know. :wink:
I figured so much price wise. I am not opposed to spending that much but I‘m not sure that I will given I have a Thekk and a Gjallarhorn JM.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #1,333 of 6,348

You remember me my situation yesterday... When I was unpacking the AH-D9200 my wife was doing things in the same room and I said to her: "Oh, look at my new headphones that you know I have waited for a long time... they are made of bamboo, look..." and she said: how much? 1000 € sure? and looked angrily at me"... Then, my strategy (certainly, so bad): ok... ok... I'm not going to tell you how much are them (she got angry when I bought the DT 1990 Pro for 300 €), I bought them with the money of the T 1.3 that I returned (she also didn't know how much were the T 1.3, she only knew that I bought with the money from my returned Amiron's and my sold DT 1990's)... I continued saying: I had that money reserved for them... and the conversation ended... Hope will not be continued :sweat:

Ok, some briefly initial impressions, but I have not passed a lot time with them (just a little time yesterday afternoon -1 hour- and at night -2 or 3 hours- listening to some different songs from different genres and right now I have listened to "Willow OST" and a few songs of "The Mission OST","Ghostbusters OST", some songs of "Edward Scissorhands OST" and now - while I'm cheking my post - I'm starting with the mytical "Jazz at the Pawnshop"):

- Aesthetically, they are so pretty, like all the owners know. I though that the bamboo was of a lighter brown tone when I saw the pics of them, maybe there are variations in the brown tone from one unit to other. The construction is superb and so similar of the Sony Z7s (even the box is similar). What I really don't like is see them in the Sieveking Omega stand, because of the flat headband, they are so ugly there (tomorrow I will take a pic for you to see that).

- Comfort: the main worry I had about them. Yesterday, I put them adjusted at six position and after two hours I noticed a very little discomfort on a central point the headband area, then I moved the Hps a little to the front of my head and the discomfort totally disappeared. Today, I decided to put at 7, but I suppose that the pad of the headband will adjust naturally with time. The clamp of the side pads also annoyed very little after two hours of use, but, like the headband, I suppose they will mold with time. Thankfully my ears don't touch the interior mesh and the pads don't pinch my ears... I will post more impressions about comfort when I can pass more time with them (4 or 5 hours or more).

- Sound: (yesterday) ok, at first I started with metal -the genre I know better- (some trash Metallica, melodic death Children of Bodom, heavy Iron Maiden, gothic Tristania-Epica, symphonic Therion... and so more but just listened one or two songs of each) and I though they were bass lite (because I mentally compared with the T 1.3 that has an incredible bass with, for example, Metallica albums that I find hard to forget... I didn't like them with this genre in my first listenings wich was disappointed for me because I want them to be a genre-master cans... I will give them another chance with other metal genres and albums, but I'm thinking in buying again the Beyer DT 1990 Pro that are amazing for metal music (even with the truly bad studio productions).

Then, I tried one album that I really loved with the 1990 Pro: Pink Floyd "Dark side of the moon" and althought I liked the sound and found really balanced, I missed the soundstage that with the DT 1990 Pro is fantastic in that concrete album (pure magic). I tried other symphonic rock songs (from Supertramp or other Pink Floyd albums) but they didn't give me nothing new that Sony Z7 or HD 800 gave to me (maybe I wanted to find that "wow" factor that surprise you when you try a new headphones: for example, for me was bass and the abilities to play games with the T 1.3 or multigenre capabilities and not so open design with DT 1990 Pro).

Ok, now writing about my (today) experiencies with them (like I said at first, only with OSTs) and the orgasms are starting to appear (I'm going to awake my wife and she will think that I'm watching something forbidden in my PC :relieved::wink:).

- Willow OST: I love this film from the 80's, totally underrated in my opinion, and it's James Horner OST is so wonderful. I had a lot of goosebumps when I listened with my HD 800 and is an "always try album" when I have a new headphones. Although I miss the orchestra concept with the 9200s like I have with the HD 800 (due to their big soundstage), the sound have a lot of impact and are so direct: you have all the details presented as with the HD 800, but some of them remain at the back of the song and are not as forward as with the HD 800. That circunstance makes the music more coherent, although I also enjoy to listen all the details with the HD 800 (I also felt goosebumps with 9200s :relaxed:)

- Ghostbusters OST: here the bass appears when is required and, like with Willow OST, the sound is visceral and have a lot of impact. I liked a lot this OST with the Z7s, but I'm enjoying more with the 9200s.

I have now passed 2,5 hours now with them (some of that time writing here... Remember where I from :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:... Althought if I had written this in spanish you had not so impressions, that's the good part) and no problems at all regarding to comfort and the orgasms and the goosebumps continue... I'm noticing that the 9200s are headphones that you can put and let the music flow, they don't distract you if you are doing other things (like, for example, some people say about Focal Clear).

Jazz at the Pawnshop... Incredible... The little soundstage is better for jazz, IMO.

By the way, about EDM... I'm starting to get intrigued about that genre and there are a lot of followers here... I don't know if for example the OST of Wipeout PSX games (Future sound of London, Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy...) are included in that genre. I liked a lot when I was playing to these games. I'm going yo listen with the 9200 and see what happens :L3000:

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #1,334 of 6,348
Yes, those pads are very comfy, indeed. For the price ($500), Shure has packed in a slew of extras; in addition to the already good-sounding headphones, you get a hard travelling case, a spare set of pads, and 2 cables. Most manufacturers don't even pack a spare set of pads, and some don't even have a carrying case. So, you're getting quite a lot for its (regularly-discounted) MSRP. :)

How are the 1540's for some leakage with those pads?

Sadly, Correos (the local postal office in Spain) didn't work yesterday. And also Movistar gave me a "special gift" for Christmas because I lost internet conection yesterday... Had to wait to today's afternoon to recover it...

Maybe tomorrow Correos work and give me the package or on monday (fool's day in Spain :smile: )

Jealous! I ordered a sweet in store while I was in Paris and they were on sale.... But the delivery took to long and I had to go to the store and cancel so I could make my flight out.

Of coursei got the message that the headphones arrived as I was getting on the plane.

Enjoy those for me....

I might try the new t5 3rd generation in the meantime....

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #1,335 of 6,348

One of the vagaries of life: one person’s necessity is another person’s luxury...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back