The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 30, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #1,336 of 6,351
@Terriero you've given me a playlist I should try out now.

The AH-D9200 is a miracle machine in my eyes. It was the first headphones (and only one so far) I didn't dislike anything about. It seems to sound great on whatever source I connect it to as well.

Soundstage seems very amp dependent, on my Fairphone, it is all within 20cm of my head, on my office Focal Arche within 2m, and on my bedroom iFi Zen Dac+Can about 6m. Not the most soundstage of my headphones but still quite impressive for closed backs. What amp are you on @Terriero?

The AH-D9200 have made me believe that closed backs might be able to give me what open backs never could. Don't get me wrong, I love my open backs, but there is something here which is just insanely amazing. I haven't singled out any killer feature, it just envelops me with music and joy.

:flag_us: For the US peeps here, 20cm is about a Focal Arche width, 2m is like your 6ft headphone cable and 6m is about one Ford F250 long. :flag_us:

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #1,337 of 6,351
I look forward to hearing when the Rognir would be available

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #1,338 of 6,351
You remember me my situation yesterday... When I was unpacking the AH-D9200 my wife was doing things in the same room and I said to her: "Oh, look at my new headphones that you know I have waited for a long time... they are made of bamboo, look..." and she said: how much? 1000 € sure? and looked angrily at me"... Then, my strategy (certainly, so bad): ok... ok... I'm not going to tell you how much are them (she got angry when I bought the DT 1990 Pro for 300 €), I bought them with the money of the T 1.3 that I returned (she also didn't know how much were the T 1.3, she only knew that I bought with the money from my returned Amiron's and my sold DT 1990's)... I continued saying: I had that money reserved for them... and the conversation ended... Hope will not be continued :sweat:

Ok, some briefly initial impressions, but I have not passed a lot time with them (just a little time yesterday afternoon -1 hour- and at night -2 or 3 hours- listening to some different songs from different genres and right now I have listened to "Willow OST" and a few songs of "The Mission OST","Ghostbusters OST", some songs of "Edward Scissorhands OST" and now - while I'm cheking my post - I'm starting with the mytical "Jazz at the Pawnshop"):

- Aesthetically, they are so pretty, like all the owners know. I though that the bamboo was of a lighter brown tone when I saw the pics of them, maybe there are variations in the brown tone from one unit to other. The construction is superb and so similar of the Sony Z7s (even the box is similar). What I really don't like is see them in the Sieveking Omega stand, because of the flat headband, they are so ugly there (tomorrow I will take a pic for you to see that).

- Comfort: the main worry I had about them. Yesterday, I put them adjusted at six position and after two hours I noticed a very little discomfort on a central point the headband area, then I moved the Hps a little to the front of my head and the discomfort totally disappeared. Today, I decided to put at 7, but I suppose that the pad of the headband will adjust naturally with time. The clamp of the side pads also annoyed very little after two hours of use, but, like the headband, I suppose they will mold with time. Thankfully my ears don't touch the interior mesh and the pads don't pinch my ears... I will post more impressions about comfort when I can pass more time with them (4 or 5 hours or more).

- Sound: (yesterday) ok, at first I started with metal -the genre I know better- (some trash Metallica, melodic death Children of Bodom, heavy Iron Maiden, gothic Tristania-Epica, symphonic Therion... and so more but just listened one or two songs of each) and I though they were bass lite (because I mentally compared with the T 1.3 that has an incredible bass with, for example, Metallica albums that I find hard to forget... I didn't like them with this genre in my first listenings wich was disappointed for me because I want them to be a genre-master cans... I will give them another chance with other metal genres and albums, but I'm thinking in buying again the Beyer DT 1990 Pro that are amazing for metal music (even with the truly bad studio productions).

Then, I tried one album that I really loved with the 1990 Pro: Pink Floyd "Dark side of the moon" and althought I liked the sound and found really balanced, I missed the soundstage that with the DT 1990 Pro is fantastic in that concrete album (pure magic). I tried other symphonic rock songs (from Supertramp or other Pink Floyd albums) but they didn't give me nothing new that Sony Z7 or HD 800 gave to me (maybe I wanted to find that "wow" factor that surprise you when you try a new headphones: for example, for me was bass and the abilities to play games with the T 1.3 or multigenre capabilities and not so open design with DT 1990 Pro).

Ok, now writing about my (today) experiencies with them (like I said at first, only with OSTs) and the orgasms are starting to appear (I'm going to awake my wife and she will think that I'm watching something forbidden in my PC :relieved::wink:).

- Willow OST: I love this film from the 80's, totally underrated in my opinion, and it's James Horner OST is so wonderful. I had a lot of goosebumps when I listened with my HD 800 and is an "always try album" when I have a new headphones. Although I miss the orchestra concept with the 9200s like I have with the HD 800 (due to their big soundstage), the sound have a lot of impact and are so direct: you have all the details presented as with the HD 800, but some of them remain at the back of the song and are not as forward as with the HD 800. That circunstance makes the music more coherent, although I also enjoy to listen all the details with the HD 800 (I also felt goosebumps with 9200s :relaxed:)

- Ghostbusters OST: here the bass appears when is required and, like with Willow OST, the sound is visceral and have a lot of impact. I liked a lot this OST with the Z7s, but I'm enjoying more with the 9200s.

I have now passed 2,5 hours now with them (some of that time writing here... Remember where I from :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:... Althought if I had written this in spanish you had not so impressions, that's the good part) and no problems at all regarding to comfort and the orgasms and the goosebumps continue... I'm noticing that the 9200s are headphones that you can put and let the music flow, they don't distract you if you are doing other things (like, for example, some people say about Focal Clear).

Jazz at the Pawnshop... Incredible... The little soundstage is better for jazz, IMO.

By the way, about EDM... I'm starting to get intrigued about that genre and there are a lot of followers here... I don't know if for example the OST of Wipeout PSX games (Future sound of London, Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy...) are included in that genre. I liked a lot when I was playing to these games. I'm going yo listen with the 9200 and see what happens :L3000:
Sounds like the AH-D9200 is slowly growing on you. And that's the magic of the AH-D9200, IMO.

It's not a headphone that is immediately impressive because of one particularly enhanced region of its signature - it doesn't have the cleanest, clearest sound, nor does it have an accentuated bass or treble region. It isn't a mid-forward headphone either. All of these aspects will usually capture one's attention within the first few minutes of an audition - the headphone is too bassy, or conversely, too anemic; the treble is too bright, or it is too dark; it is lacking in resolution, or it is a masterclass with detail.

The Denon is neither of the aforementioned - rather, it treads the fine line between these positive attributes, and comes out sounding like a winner. :)

I play a lot of Wip3out myself. I've been a PlayStation guy since the original, and I've owned Wip3out on every single Sony console since. It's one of my 2 favorite racers, the other being Burnout. Anyway, the games have always featured EDM-heavy soundtracks; they fit like a glove with the aesthetics and the style of the series. If you're dipping your toes into the world of EDM, and you enjoy the music in Wip3out, you can try the following dance tracks on the AH-D9200; they sound fantastic! -
  • Daft Punk - Around the World
  • Members of Mayday - Sonic Empire
  • Orbital - Technologicque Park
  • Pulser - Cloudwalking (Beatpusher Remix)
  • The Prodigy - No Good (Start the Dance)

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #1,339 of 6,351
I look forward to hearing when the Rognir would be available
Well, Valentin and his crew are yet to publicly comment on this salient point, but judging from Kennerton's latest reply, the headphone is probably in the final stages of prototyping. If so, we might see this headphone in a few months' time? :)

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #1,340 of 6,351
What a beaut, i love this cable, unfortunately it doesn't fit the T5s, so id have to get another one, but, hey, when it's that good.. It completely elevated the 9200 20201230_105451.jpg

Dec 30, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #1,341 of 6,351
How are the 1540's for some leakage with those pads?
I don't own the SRH1540, but I have auditioned it on numerous occasions. With that being said, I haven't had any issues with leakage or noise isolation, thus far. However, there are fellow Head-Fiers (and Closed-Back fans) who own this headphone. @waveSounds is one of them. Perhaps he could chime in with his opinions on this matter? They are certainly more pertinent than mine. :)

I might try the new t5 3rd generation in the meantime....
If you're a fan of a bass-heavy, dark, full-bodied signature, the T5 (3rd Generation) has few competitors. The AudioQuest NightOwl is (was) one of them, but they've been discontinued, so they are quite difficult to get a hold of these days.

Dec 30, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #1,342 of 6,351
What a beaut, i love this cable, unfortunately it doesn't fit the T5s, so id have to get another one, but, hey, when it's that good.. It completely elevated the 920020201230_105451.jpg
I should have a Fusion series Arctic Cable coming, it is the next step up from Cuprum. I will post some thoughts on it whenever USPS decides they want to start delivering packages again

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #1,343 of 6,351
You remember me my situation yesterday... When I was unpacking the AH-D9200 my wife was doing things in the same room and I said to her: "Oh, look at my new headphones that you know I have waited for a long time... they are made of bamboo, look..." and she said: how much? 1000 € sure? and looked angrily at me"... Then, my strategy (certainly, so bad): ok... ok... I'm not going to tell you how much are them (she got angry when I bought the DT 1990 Pro for 300 €), I bought them with the money of the T 1.3 that I returned (she also didn't know how much were the T 1.3, she only knew that I bought with the money from my returned Amiron's and my sold DT 1990's)... I continued saying: I had that money reserved for them... and the conversation ended... Hope will not be continued :sweat:

Ok, some briefly initial impressions, but I have not passed a lot time with them (just a little time yesterday afternoon -1 hour- and at night -2 or 3 hours- listening to some different songs from different genres and right now I have listened to "Willow OST" and a few songs of "The Mission OST","Ghostbusters OST", some songs of "Edward Scissorhands OST" and now - while I'm cheking my post - I'm starting with the mytical "Jazz at the Pawnshop"):

- Aesthetically, they are so pretty, like all the owners know. I though that the bamboo was of a lighter brown tone when I saw the pics of them, maybe there are variations in the brown tone from one unit to other. The construction is superb and so similar of the Sony Z7s (even the box is similar). What I really don't like is see them in the Sieveking Omega stand, because of the flat headband, they are so ugly there (tomorrow I will take a pic for you to see that).

- Comfort: the main worry I had about them. Yesterday, I put them adjusted at six position and after two hours I noticed a very little discomfort on a central point the headband area, then I moved the Hps a little to the front of my head and the discomfort totally disappeared. Today, I decided to put at 7, but I suppose that the pad of the headband will adjust naturally with time. The clamp of the side pads also annoyed very little after two hours of use, but, like the headband, I suppose they will mold with time. Thankfully my ears don't touch the interior mesh and the pads don't pinch my ears... I will post more impressions about comfort when I can pass more time with them (4 or 5 hours or more).

- Sound: (yesterday) ok, at first I started with metal -the genre I know better- (some trash Metallica, melodic death Children of Bodom, heavy Iron Maiden, gothic Tristania-Epica, symphonic Therion... and so more but just listened one or two songs of each) and I though they were bass lite (because I mentally compared with the T 1.3 that has an incredible bass with, for example, Metallica albums that I find hard to forget... I didn't like them with this genre in my first listenings wich was disappointed for me because I want them to be a genre-master cans... I will give them another chance with other metal genres and albums, but I'm thinking in buying again the Beyer DT 1990 Pro that are amazing for metal music (even with the truly bad studio productions).

Then, I tried one album that I really loved with the 1990 Pro: Pink Floyd "Dark side of the moon" and althought I liked the sound and found really balanced, I missed the soundstage that with the DT 1990 Pro is fantastic in that concrete album (pure magic). I tried other symphonic rock songs (from Supertramp or other Pink Floyd albums) but they didn't give me nothing new that Sony Z7 or HD 800 gave to me (maybe I wanted to find that "wow" factor that surprise you when you try a new headphones: for example, for me was bass and the abilities to play games with the T 1.3 or multigenre capabilities and not so open design with DT 1990 Pro).

Ok, now writing about my (today) experiencies with them (like I said at first, only with OSTs) and the orgasms are starting to appear (I'm going to awake my wife and she will think that I'm watching something forbidden in my PC :relieved::wink:).

- Willow OST: I love this film from the 80's, totally underrated in my opinion, and it's James Horner OST is so wonderful. I had a lot of goosebumps when I listened with my HD 800 and is an "always try album" when I have a new headphones. Although I miss the orchestra concept with the 9200s like I have with the HD 800 (due to their big soundstage), the sound have a lot of impact and are so direct: you have all the details presented as with the HD 800, but some of them remain at the back of the song and are not as forward as with the HD 800. That circunstance makes the music more coherent, although I also enjoy to listen all the details with the HD 800 (I also felt goosebumps with 9200s :relaxed:)

- Ghostbusters OST: here the bass appears when is required and, like with Willow OST, the sound is visceral and have a lot of impact. I liked a lot this OST with the Z7s, but I'm enjoying more with the 9200s.

I have now passed 2,5 hours now with them (some of that time writing here... Remember where I from :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:... Althought if I had written this in spanish you had not so impressions, that's the good part) and no problems at all regarding to comfort and the orgasms and the goosebumps continue... I'm noticing that the 9200s are headphones that you can put and let the music flow, they don't distract you if you are doing other things (like, for example, some people say about Focal Clear).

Jazz at the Pawnshop... Incredible... The little soundstage is better for jazz, IMO.

By the way, about EDM... I'm starting to get intrigued about that genre and there are a lot of followers here... I don't know if for example the OST of Wipeout PSX games (Future sound of London, Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy...) are included in that genre. I liked a lot when I was playing to these games. I'm going yo listen with the 9200 and see what happens :L3000:
This is such an honest and well-balanced post. I enjoyed that immensely, thanks man😊
Judging by your previous cans I can certainly understand why the new Denon will need a little time before you settle in on the sound signature, as it really is quite a unique one. I ever so slightly prefer the D7200 over it but it’s close and the two actually share a very similar tuning. The D9200 is the more ‘mature’ and ‘refined’ if you will whereas the little brother feels altogether more ‘meaty’ and ‘rambunctious’. Both cans though sound highly detailed..though not in the manner most folks are used to having ‘detail’ presented to them ie via raised treble. Nahh with these Denons it’s more of a midrange shelf tilting slightly downwards giving off a certain dynamic whiff to the proceedings as if all sounds somehow become ‘naturally enhanced’. I really dig that about both of these headphones.

Dec 30, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #1,344 of 6,351
I should have a Fusion series Arctic Cable coming, it is the next step up from Cuprum. I will post some thoughts on it whenever USPS decides they want to start delivering packages again
Oh, that's gonna be great, this it is my first one from Arctic and I'm mightily impressed, top quality.
I have a limit when it comes to sending on cables, but i bet the Fusion is worth it.
Now wondering if their iem ones are as good..

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #1,345 of 6,351
Oh, that's gonna be great, this it is my first one from Arctic and I'm mightily impressed, top quality.
I have a limit when it comes to sending on cables, but i bet the Fusion is worth it.
Now wondering if their iem ones are as good..
They have only begun producing IEM cables. I too have a limit on cables, as they are the last tweak in the chain to be made. I will let you know how the Fusion is.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,346 of 6,351
I don't own the SRH1540, but I have auditioned it on numerous occasions. With that being said, I haven't had any issues with leakage or noise isolation, thus far. However, there are fellow Head-Fiers (and Closed-Back fans) who own this headphone. @waveSounds is one of them. Perhaps he could chime in with his opinions on this matter? They are certainly more pertinent than mine. :)

@P007 Couldn't quite work out if you wanted to know how the 1540 leaks with its OEM pads specifically, or how the 1540 pads are for leakage in general? Either way, the result is the same; they're fairly good at isolation and keeping sounds in, but not the best for it. I found the Brainwavz sheepskin leather pads to be better in this respect, and had them on my 1540 for a while, and then seconded them for use on the NightOwl, where they now permanently reside. That being said, I've found little else that offers the same level of comfort and feeling of comfort. It's like someone's gently massaging the sides of your heads with pillows covered in an opulent velour.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #1,347 of 6,351
@Terriero you've given me a playlist I should try out now.

The AH-D9200 is a miracle machine in my eyes. It was the first headphones (and only one so far) I didn't dislike anything about. It seems to sound great on whatever source I connect it to as well.

Soundstage seems very amp dependent, on my Fairphone, it is all within 20cm of my head, on my office Focal Arche within 2m, and on my bedroom iFi Zen Dac+Can about 6m. Not the most soundstage of my headphones but still quite impressive for closed backs. What amp are you on @Terriero?

The AH-D9200 have made me believe that closed backs might be able to give me what open backs never could. Don't get me wrong, I love my open backs, but there is something here which is just insanely amazing. I haven't singled out any killer feature, it just envelops me with music and joy.

:flag_us: For the US peeps here, 20cm is about a Focal Arche width, 2m is like your 6ft headphone cable and 6m is about one Ford F250 long. :flag_us:
My DAC/AMP is an entry level one, Asus Xonar Essence One. I will start soon to saving for another DAC and AMP and maybe I will buy mid-budget headphones during the saving process (like the 1990 Pro I said in the post). Anyway, I have to be strong and resist the temptation of the new Rögnir (also, the Sony Z1R tempts me, but can resist because I have the Z7s :wink: :L3000:).

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #1,348 of 6,351
Sounds like the AH-D9200 is slowly growing on you. And that's the magic of the AH-D9200, IMO.

It's not a headphone that is immediately impressive because of one particularly enhanced region of its signature - it doesn't have the cleanest, clearest sound, nor does it have an accentuated bass or treble region. It isn't a mid-forward headphone either. All of these aspects will usually capture one's attention within the first few minutes of an audition - the headphone is too bassy, or conversely, too anemic; the treble is too bright, or it is too dark; it is lacking in resolution, or it is a masterclass with detail.

The Denon is neither of the aforementioned - rather, it treads the fine line between these positive attributes, and comes out sounding like a winner. :)

I play a lot of Wip3out myself. I've been a PlayStation guy since the original, and I've owned Wip3out on every single Sony console since. It's one of my 2 favorite racers, the other being Burnout. Anyway, the games have always featured EDM-heavy soundtracks; they fit like a glove with the aesthetics and the style of the series. If you're dipping your toes into the world of EDM, and you enjoy the music in Wip3out, you can try the following dance tracks on the AH-D9200; they sound fantastic! -
  • Daft Punk - Around the World
  • Members of Mayday - Sonic Empire
  • Orbital - Technologicque Park
  • Pulser - Cloudwalking (Beatpusher Remix)
  • The Prodigy - No Good (Start the Dance)
Ok, last night at 2:30 AM (I was so so impressed and excited that couldn't stop to re-discover more of my FLAC library with the Denons...) I tried some songs of the first Wipeout and Wipeout 2097 (like Afro Ride or Firestarter) and I loved them with the Denons, I was shaking my head and tapping my toes... Then I realized why you don't like the Senn HD 800 with your preferred genre, because I have listened those songs with them and didn't like at all, with the Denons is a totally different story...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back