The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #1,366 of 6,351
  1. What have you bought in 2020? Plenty, I seem to have an audio addiction! But the highlights are the ZMF Auteur Ambrosia Maple (b stock), Hifi-man He-500 (which I promptly modded with fuzzor and Zmf pads), Moondrop Blessing 2. I also got some new cups for my closed back Emu-teak, and sold my modded bottlehead crack to buy a Crackatwoa!
  2. What's your favorite headphone of 2020? A lot of my new gear came towards the end of the year as I stabilized from Covid, so the SDR HD800 got the most head time this year.
  3. What do you regret purchasing in 2020? Why can I never seem to resist MrSpeakers? Their headphones look beautiful, but I always regret it and end up selling.
  4. What are you hoping to buy in 2020? (could be a new or rumored product) Tubes and capacitors for the Crackatwoa! I'd also like to try a Borealis at some point. The lure of e-stats is also beginning to itch a bit. I'm beginning to reach about as high as I'm going to go, however; I've tried most of the things I wanted to try in my price range (under 2k). Perhaps a complimentary ZMF headphone during NEXT years November sale?
I actually enjoy Dan Clark Audio's headphones a lot - I own the AEON 2 Closed, and the Ether C Flow 1.1 has been a permanent member of my "Should I Buy?" list for quite some time now. You're right, though, their headphones are really good looking!

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #1,367 of 6,351
I haven't had the chance to try the 2 or the retuned. The original aeon closed is a great headphone, super comfy and really great looking, just not the sound signature that motivates me.

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #1,368 of 6,351
I haven't had the chance to try the 2 or the retuned. The original aeon closed is a great headphone, super comfy and really great looking, just not the sound signature that motivates me.
I have not heard the RT version either, but I didn't really enjoy the AEON Flow Closed (the original); it felt a little bland and lackluster, IMO. The AEON 2 Closed fixes some of its shortcomings, providing greater warmth and a more textured, stronger bass response to produce a greater kick to your music.

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #1,369 of 6,351
I have not heard the RT version either, but I didn't really enjoy the AEON Flow Closed (the original); it felt a little bland and lackluster, IMO. The AEON 2 Closed fixes some of its shortcomings, providing greater warmth and a more textured, stronger bass response to produce a greater kick to your music.

I will have to try it, because that’s exactly my impression with both the aeon and ether CX.

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #1,370 of 6,351
I don't want to be guilty of being "that guy", but if you enjoy the LCD-XC, the upcoming Rögnir from Kennerton might pique your interest. In many respects, it can be seen as a contemporary to the LCD-XC; the Rögnir is also closed-back, uses planar magnetic drivers, and features (beautiful) wood cups. It's certainly on my "must-try" list for 2021. I'm enjoying my LCD-XC a lot more these days, but I'm also interested in seeing the ways companies advance and improve upon the (high) performance bars set by top-level closed planars such as the LCD-XC and the Ether C Flow 1.1. Certainly, good times ahead. :)
Thanks for the tip!
I’m curious to see what the Norne Drausk does for the XCs once the cable is burned in. If it does what I hope, I will be at end game status for closed backs.
If the pandemic ends later this year, I may invest in Focal Elears with good copper upgrade cables (again). I was so happy with the Elears, but could not afford to keep them with the XC purchase. I would love to have another pair- and the Black Dragon Premiums brought them to an elite level.

Jan 2, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #1,372 of 6,351
@Malevolent do you think you will have an opportunity to try the Hifiman HE-R10? I would like to see your opinion of them.
Yeah, I have access to all (or most) of the HiFiMan headphones here (Susvara, Arya, Ananda, HE1000V2, etc.). However, the HE-R10 has yet to arrive on our shores; I think the company has not released this globally? I'll be sure to test them out once they arrive, though. I am quite intrigued at the prospect of a MDR-R10 clone "homage" with planar drivers. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #1,373 of 6,351
Happy new year everyone!
  1. What have you bought in 2020? Avantone Planar, Sennheiser HD600, Fiio FA1, Fiio K5 pro, Meizu hifi dac.
  2. What's your favorite headphone of 2020? My main headphone was the Quad Era-1 and I've been very happy with it. It's a bit early to say but I think I'm even happier with the Avantone because of the improved neutrality.
  3. What do you regret purchasing in 2020? Nothing in particular, I'm trying to make reasonable and well-thought purchases. Even if the HD600 didn't get as much use as the others, it was still very useful as a benchmark tool versus planars.
  4. What are you hoping to buy in 2020? (could be a new or rumored product) I've been curious about closed-back planars for a while and might try to grab an Audeze Sine. Planar is definitely my kind of sound (until I hear something better besides dynamics and electrostats) but I also l find a good closed back soundstage very appealing.

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #1,374 of 6,351
Hi everyone, Happy New Year.!
  1. What have you bought in 2020? Hiby R6 Pro, Hiby R3 Pro, Hiby R2, Hiby R8, ATH msr7b, T5P 2nd*, HD660s*, Focal Elegia*, AP2000ti*, AWKT*, WP900*, Z7m2*, D9200*, Mdr-Z1r, TH900 mk2, Sony Kimber Cable 4.4mm, Silver Dragon Cable 4.4mm, HDC114A.
    (*) Ended selling or returning them.
  2. What's your favorite headphone of 2020? Mdr-Z1r
  3. What do you regret purchasing in 2020? None, I wouldn't know my destiny if I hadn't tried every item.
  4. What are you hoping to buy in 2020? (could be a new or rumored product) Maybe some custom pads and cases for the Z1r and the TH900 mk2 (expecting to try them next week). Also, if there's a Z1r Mk2 I would definitely go for them.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #1,375 of 6,351
You're on the money here. I haven't heard the AEON Flow Closed non-RT but I did previously own the RT version for a short while before I ended up returning them. They weren't bad but the highs could be a bit harsh (regardless of the tuning filter) and the sound felt a bit too boxed in for my liking. I currently own the AEON 2 Closed and, like yourself, I enjoy them quite a bit, especially as my portable pair. I think it was smart to make them so portable. This feature has earned then a permanent spot in my collection as they are my go to pair for when I work from a coffee shop or when I do some gaming in my living room and I can't use my surround sound because I need to use a microphone or some other reason. I have pairs that I enjoy more at home such as my Verite Closed but I'm not taking those monsters to a coffee shop with me nor am I sticking a ModMic magnet mount on them. The A2C fill this role quite nicely.

Jan 2, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #1,376 of 6,351
Happy new year everyone!
  1. What have you bought in 2020? Avantone Planar, Sennheiser HD600, Fiio FA1, Fiio K5 pro, Meizu hifi dac.
  2. What's your favorite headphone of 2020? My main headphone was the Quad Era-1 and I've been very happy with it. It's a bit early to say but I think I'm even happier with the Avantone because of the improved neutrality.
  3. What do you regret purchasing in 2020? Nothing in particular, I'm trying to make reasonable and well-thought purchases. Even if the HD600 didn't get as much use as the others, it was still very useful as a benchmark tool versus planars.
  4. What are you hoping to buy in 2020? (could be a new or rumored product) I've been curious about closed-back planars for a while and might try to grab an Audeze Sine. Planar is definitely my kind of sound (until I hear something better besides dynamics and electrostats) but I also l find a good closed back soundstage very appealing.
Happy New Year to you, too!

Closed-back planars? You've come to the right place. :wink: There are a wealth of options on the market, and if you're willing to stretch your budget, the Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back and the Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed are fantastic options.

Jan 2, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #1,377 of 6,351
Hi everyone, Happy New Year.!
  1. What have you bought in 2020? Hiby R6 Pro, Hiby R3 Pro, Hiby R2, Hiby R8, ATH msr7b, T5P 2nd*, HD660s*, Focal Elegia*, AP2000ti*, AWKT*, WP900*, Z7m2*, D9200*, Mdr-Z1r, TH900 mk2, Sony Kimber Cable 4.4mm, Silver Dragon Cable 4.4mm, HDC114A.
    (*) Ended selling or returning them.
  2. What's your favorite headphone of 2020? Mdr-Z1r
  3. What do you regret purchasing in 2020? None, I wouldn't know my destiny if I hadn't tried every item.
  4. What are you hoping to buy in 2020? (could be a new or rumored product) Maybe some custom pads and cases for the Z1r and the TH900 mk2 (expecting to try them next week). Also, if there's a Z1r Mk2 I would definitely go for them.
Happy New Year!

Wow, that's a lot of stuff that you've bought in 2020. I've purchased my fair share, too, and it's the continuous Work From Home environment that has left me with little to do but endlessly digest literature and info on a host of different audio gear. Argh!

Anyway, like you, I'm also waiting on the v2 of the MDR-Z1R. That's 1 of the 2 headphones that I'm eagerly awaiting in 2021! :)

Jan 3, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #1,378 of 6,351
What have you bought in 2020?
  1. What's your favorite headphone of 2020?
  2. What do you regret purchasing in 2020?
  3. What are you hoping to buy in 2020? (could be a new or rumored product)
  4. [/QUOTE]

Bought in 2020
Nothing particularly notable, as I recall
Except a set of Beyer T1.2. They have yet to really "grab" me, though,.
and I am thinking of selling them soon.
Also bought Philips Fidelio X3 (they're OK, will probably keep them); Sony Monitors (CD900ST Made in Japan).
Got these recently, and I'm liking them. Very nicely made (no surprise there), comfortable, light in weight,
and put out a surprisingly open sound for closed headphones. I definitely like them more than the
sub $500. closed Audio Technica's I've heard, for example..

Bought in 2020 (audio gear other than headphones):

JDS Labs Atom
JDS Labs El Amp II
Schitt Asgard 3
Google 4a 5th Gen
- is it only a phone? Is it also a decent PMP?
We'll find out ---

Also dropped some coin on a HiBy R3 Pro, and a HiBy R5.
I like the sound of the R5, though I wish they'd clean up the UI.
The new(er) R6 and R8 look interesting, but those seem to be
(priced) in Astell & Kern territory. And I think I'd rather have an A&K
than another HiBy.

I don't (yet) have a favorite headphone of 2020.
Regrets re purchasing? None. If I don't like what i've bought, I return it (a very rare occurrence since I
really don't like returning goods if they're "as described".)
Or I sell them.

Hoping to buy in 2021: Grado RS1e. I've read about their issues, but they seem to have eased or
been corrected entirely. I'm starting to become slightly bored with my RS1i's after 5 years...

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #1,379 of 6,351
2020 was the year I revived my headphone passion. I ended up selling a bunch of things from another hobby to help fund my audio purchases.
  1. What have you bought in 2020? iFi hip dac*, iFi Zen Can*, Arcam rHead, Denafrips Ares II, Audioquest NightOwl*, Sennheiser Momentum 3*, Audio Technica ATH-WP00*, Denon D7200*, Sony WH-1000XM4*, Sony WH-1000XM3, Technica ATH-AWAS, ZMF Aeolus Cocobolo LTD
    (*) Sold or returned.
  2. What's your favorite headphone of 2020? Audio Technica ATH-AWAS. The more headphones that come and go, the more I appreciate what the AWAS does.
  3. What do you regret purchasing in 2020? iFi Zen Can. Not that it was bad but the retail experience sucked. EFLC made it impossible to return it so I took quite a loss on the secondary market.
  4. What are you hoping to buy in 2020? (could be a new or rumored product) I have a Grado Hemp incoming. There's always headphones I'd like to try but I will likely be looking more towards amp and cable upgrades this year.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #1,380 of 6,351
Well, what do you think about the past year, and the year ahead, in terms of headphones, both closed and open?
  1. What have you bought in 2020?
  2. What's your favorite headphone of 2020?
  3. What do you regret purchasing in 2020?
  4. What are you hoping to buy in 2020? (could be a new or rumored product)
Let's see those responses! It would be interesting; a recap of the year, of sorts. :)
Nice idea. here's mine:
  1. What have you bought in 2020?
    • Lots. Pretty much everything in my signature was bought in 2020: Audio-Technica AWKT/AWAS/2000Ti/WP900, ZMF Vérité Closed - alongside a Hugo 2, Lotoo Paw 6000, Sparkos Aries, Romi BX2 Plus, too many cables to mention. I blame all this spending on Covid.
  2. What's your favorite headphone of 2020?
    • Hard to make a choice between the Audio-Technica AWKT and the ZMF VC (and also the WP900 and even the MSR7B). Pushed, I'd probably say the ZMF VC as being the best all-rounders.
  3. What do you regret purchasing in 2020?
    • I wouldn't say regret because I ended up selling them both, but both the Focal Clear and the Campfire Ara left me cold.
  4. What are you hoping to buy in 2020? (could be a new or rumored product)
    • There's not much left on my list, I would like to get the Denon 9200 and also complete my Audio-Technica collection with the ADX5000 (tho, not closed-back). I'm also keen to get the forthcoming Cayin C9 tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back