The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 3, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #1,381 of 6,351
I have posted this in the T 1.3 thread. I'm using the AH-D9200 and although I like very much it's bass I miss the impact with the T 1.3 with Metallica, Stratovarius or Nightwish. When I first tried the AH-D9200 I thought: "ok, very good bass, very clean, but I miss power here, am I a basshead? :wink: :relieved:)

---

Do you know other headphones that have a similar bass like the T 1.3? Preferably closed (maybe the Z1R?)

I don't know if a DT 1990 Pro mod with foam pads (the same as inside the T 1.3) will make the bass similar to T 1.3. I love and miss the T 1.3 bass for some of my metal music collection.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #1,382 of 6,351
Bought in 2020
Nothing particularly notable, as I recall
Except a set of Beyer T1.2. They have yet to really "grab" me, though,.
and I am thinking of selling them soon.
Also bought Philips Fidelio X3 (they're OK, will probably keep them); Sony Monitors (CD900ST Made in Japan).
Got these recently, and I'm liking them. Very nicely made (no surprise there), comfortable, light in weight,
and put out a surprisingly open sound for closed headphones. I definitely like them more than the
sub $500. closed Audio Technica's I've heard.

Bought in 2020 (audio gear other than headphones):

JDS Labs Atom
JDS Labs El Amp II
Schitt Asgard 3
Google 4a 5th Gen
- is it only a phone? Is it also a decent PMP?
We'll find out ---

Also dropped some coin on a HiBy R3 Pro, and a HiBy R5.
I like the sound of the R5, though I wish they'd clean up the UI.
The new(er) R6 and R8 look interesting, but those seem to be
(priced) in Astell & Kern territory. And I think I'd rather have an A&K
than another HiBy.

I don't (yet) have a favorite headphone of 2020.
Regrets re purchasing? None. If I don't like what i've bought, I return it (a very rare occurrence since I
really don't like returning goods if they're "as described".
Or I sell them.

Hoping to buy in 2021: Grado RS1e. I've read about their issues, but they seem to have eased or
been corrected entirely. I'm starting to become slightly bored with my RS1i's after 5 years...
Nice, that's quite a lot of gear that you've purchased.

It seems that the Year of the COVID has only exacerbated some of our buying habits. Being stuck at home and all... :wink:

By the way, how would you describe the differences between the EL Amp II and the Asgard 3; I am interested in both, actually. Thus, a comparison would be mighty helpful. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #1,383 of 6,351
  1. What's your favorite headphone of 2020? Audio Technica ATH-AWAS. The more headphones that come and go, the more I appreciate what the AWAS does.
Hey, I'm glad that the ATH-AWAS has ended up being a winner for you. Any comfort-related issues with the headphone? :)

1. What are you hoping to buy in 2020? (could be a new or rumored product)
    • There's not much left on my list, I would like to get the Denon 9200 and also complete my Audio-Technica collection with the ADX5000 (tho, not closed-back). I'm also keen to get the forthcoming Cayin C9 tube amp.
Well, despite my obvious penchant for closed-backs, the ATH-ADX5000 is actually one of my favorite open-backs on the market. That and the LCD-4. These 2 headphones don't sound alike at all, but they each bring something special to the table, IMO. If I would ever grab an open-back, I'd get either one of these 2. 3rd in line would be a Utopia.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #1,384 of 6,351
2020 marks my return to the Headphone game after a 10 year hiatus.
  1. What have you bought in 2020? - Denon 9200-->Topping A50/D50s/P50 --> Focal Arche--> FORZA NOIR HPC MK2
  2. What's your favorite headphone of 2020? -Denon 9200. I listened to quite a few products before I bought this one.
  3. What do you regret purchasing in 2020? - Mixed feelings here but I do have a bit of regret regarding my Topping Stack.
  4. What are you hoping to buy in 2021? (could be a new or rumored product) - I am looking at a pair of Focal headphones. Not sure which yet.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #1,385 of 6,351
I have posted this in the T 1.3 thread. I'm using the AH-D9200 and although I like very much it's bass I miss the impact with the T 1.3 with Metallica, Stratovarius or Nightwish. When I first tried the AH-D9200 I thought: "ok, very good bass, very clean, but I miss power here, am I a basshead? :wink: :relieved:)

---

Do you know other headphones that have a similar bass like the T 1.3? Preferably closed (maybe the Z1R?)

I don't know if a DT 1990 Pro mod with foam pads (the same as inside the T 1.3) will make the bass similar to T 1.3. I love and miss the T 1.3 bass for some of my metal music collection.
The T1 (3rd Gen) actually has a rich, heavy bass region, despite its open-back design. It is almost similar to the revised T5 in the way the lower registers are handled; there is decent layering in the bass notes, with good texture and potency involved. Unfortunately, it also comes across as a little boomy, and the upper bass does have a tendency to bleed into the mids. That's my take from my cursory audition of the T1 (3rd Gen).

Nevertheless, most of my listening time with the new Beyerdynamic flagships was spent with the T5 (3rd Gen), so my impressions are most pertinent to the closed-back variant.

Hence, in comparison to the new T5, the MDR-Z1R has a more nuanced presentation, at least in terms of the amount of mid-bass that is boosted. However, it is superior in every other aspect, with fantastic detail and layering and a great sense of structure and coherence throughout the entire low-end section. Sub-bass extension is fantastic, with good rumble on display. You won't get the obvious "big bass" feel that is apparent on the T5 (3rd Gen), but the Sony does a remarkable job of producing some of the most textured lows around.

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #1,386 of 6,351
Hey, I'm glad that the ATH-AWAS has ended up being a winner for you. Any comfort-related issues with the headphone? :)
In regards to my TMJ, I haven't had an issues. I did have some issues with hotspots on the top of my head but I've added two Dekoni Nuggets to the sides of the headband and a headband pad that goes between. They almost disappear now.

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #1,387 of 6,351
In regards to my TMJ, I haven't had an issues. I did have some issues with hotspots on the top of my head but I've added two Dekoni Nuggets to the sides of the headband and a headband pad that goes between. They almost disappear now.
Interesting, never heard of these nuggets.

I'll definitely consider them next time I have a headband comfort issue.!

Jan 4, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,388 of 6,351
1 - What have you bought in 2020? Aiwa HP-X1000, Sony MDR-CD1700, Sennheiser M2 AEBT, Sony MDR-XB500, Denon SH-90
This year I had the goal of selling off as many headphones as possible, and actually sold about 55, so I wanted to also make as few purchases as possible, only focusing on either high-end, rare/vintage or functional... the XB500 was just for fun. And it is fun.

2 - What's your favorite headphone of 2020? Sony MDR-CD1700
I'm SO glad I took a chance on this glorious vintage. Absolutely the 'sweetest' sounding headphone I own and a totally underrated closed-back. I have seen the graphs from other variants that were absolutely horrible, so it's going to be a gamble purchasing another if this one ever dies.

3 - What do you regret purchasing in 2020?
Cheap rum. Gotta have some more self-respect. :sweat_smile:

4 - What are you hoping to buy in 2021? (could be a new or rumored product)
Nothing.
I hope that I can be completely happy and content with what I currently own.

Jan 5, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #1,389 of 6,351
2 - What's your favorite headphone of 2020? Sony MDR-CD1700
I'm SO glad I took a chance on this glorious vintage. Absolutely the 'sweetest' sounding headphone I own and a totally underrated closed-back. I have seen the graphs from other variants that were absolutely horrible, so it's going to be a gamble purchasing another if this one ever dies.

There's a blast from the past! I have very fond memories of the CD1700. I'd snag one again if I ever saw one come up for sale at a reasonable price.

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #1,390 of 6,351
Jumping on the bandwagon here!

What have you bought in 2020?
Neither fit the title of this thread, but I started the year with the Powerbeats Pro, and ended the year by ordering the Hyland Jupiter One shortly after Christmas. I won't be able to actually hear the Jupiter One until later this month, or early next month.

What's your favorite headphone of 2020?
Probably the Powerbeats Pro. It's brighter than my Solo3 and my ears are far more breathable.

What do you regret purchasing in 2020?
Nothing. The PBP fulfill the roles I want them to fulfill with aplomb, and I can't listen to the Hylands yet.

What are you hoping to buy in 2021? (could be a new or rumored product)
I am hoping to trial the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 sometime soon. I still want to pick up one pair of quality closed-back over-ears to complement the incoming open-back Jupiter One. I know having both on display would be a great contrast of aesthetics - the wood and stainless steel alongside the carbon fiber. Sound impressions SEEM to line up with what I want, but that can be confirmed or refuted only with my own ears.

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #1,391 of 6,351
1 - What have you bought in 2020? Aiwa HP-X1000, Sony MDR-CD1700, Sennheiser M2 AEBT, Sony MDR-XB500, Denon SH-90
This year I had the goal of selling off as many headphones as possible, and actually sold about 55, so I wanted to also make as few purchases as possible, only focusing on either high-end, rare/vintage or functional... the XB500 was just for fun. And it is fun.
Nice, an MDR-XB500, a veritable basshead classic! I have the full range of original "XB" cans from yesteryear, from the diminutive MDR-XB300 to the massive MDR-XB1000. The phrase, "lots of bass", doesn't accurately describe the sheer amount of low-end response these cans produce. A really fun experience, IMO. :)

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #1,392 of 6,351
What are you hoping to buy in 2021? (could be a new or rumored product)
I am hoping to trial the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 sometime soon. I still want to pick up one pair of quality closed-back over-ears to complement the incoming open-back Jupiter One. I know having both on display would be a great contrast of aesthetics - the wood and stainless steel alongside the carbon fiber. Sound impressions SEEM to line up with what I want, but that can be confirmed or refuted only with my own ears.
Besides the AEON 2 Closed (and the new T5), are there any other closed-backs that have caught your attention? :)

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #1,393 of 6,351
Besides the AEON 2 Closed (and the new T5), are there any other closed-backs that have caught your attention? :)
In order from more to less interest (relatively speaking), I would say: the Aeon 2 Closed, T5 3rd gen., Shure SRH1540, Denon D7200.

And while I did read the reviews and find that these may not agree with my ears, I'm definitely open to trying the Campfire Cascade! If I can find them anywhere locally, that is...

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #1,394 of 6,351
Nice, that's quite a lot of gear that you've purchased.

It seems that the Year of the COVID has only exacerbated some of our buying habits. Being stuck at home and all... :wink:

By the way, how would you describe the differences between the EL Amp II and the Asgard 3; I am interested in both, actually. Thus, a comparison would be mighty helpful. Thanks in advance!
I'm not interested in buying more right away. my A7 Mini was broke on the left side and I can't get a refund... past the time, and they wanted a lame video, which I don't have time for... to e-mail. I don't even know how to make a video small enough for them to see for warranty. I wanted to use Youtube but China can't see that...

I have a feeling I was sent a busted pair... on purpose? I've ordered 40 earphones from China and never had this problem. :frowning2: Bad sound, yes. :wink:

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #1,395 of 6,351
I'm not interested in buying more right away. my A7 Mini was broke on the left side and I can't get a refund... past the time, and they wanted a lame video, which I don't have time for... to e-mail. I don't even know how to make a video small enough for them to see for warranty. I wanted to use Youtube but China can't see that...

I have a feeling I was sent a busted pair... on purpose? I've ordered 40 earphones from China and never had this problem. :frowning2: Bad sound, yes. :wink:
Why not use a file sharing/locker service like Dropbox, Mediafire, OneDrive, etc.? Or are all those blocked in China?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back