Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #2,057 of 4,398
After the science of graphs, it may be more important to know about the Headphone's tone, timbre, resolution, clarity transparency and so on....none of which can be seen from a graph. I listen to music with my ears, not my eyes.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #2,058 of 4,398
After the science of graphs, it may be more important to know about the Headphone's tone, timbre, resolution, clarity transparency and so on....none of which can be seen from a graph. I listen to music with my ears, not my eyes.
I also find it silly to judge headphones only by graph watching. For example, speed and precision are ignored from this at all.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #2,059 of 4,398
True, I once used the correction curve to compensate for the AH-D9200 fr. It sucked all the life out of the music. I like the AH-D9200 the way it is.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #2,060 of 4,398
True, I once used the correction curve to compensate for the AH-D9200 fr. It sucked all the life out of the music. I like the AH-D9200 the way it is.
I also tried the PEQ settings of Auto EQ and it was the same to me. Everything that makes the D9200 unique was gone. But with only the two frequencies round 2.5khz and 7khz it seems to work fine.

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #2,061 of 4,398
Bc TRS is more common, i guess.
Plus based on my logic, you can use the TRS for TS and TRS sockets w/o any damage, which isn't possible with TS into TRS socket bc of the pins inside?! ❓

May someone with better knowledge shed some light on. :)

i get that,

what im trying to get at is. you can put a 3.5 TS plug into a3.5 TRS socket yes.

and people buy 400$ balanced cables with 2x 3.5 TRS going into the headphones and like a 4.4m TRRS connector. if the headphone only supports just TS, then one wire in the TRS is unused so you have 2 wires unused in the TRRS, which only makes it a TS, which makes it not balanced, even though its balanced?

thats what im trying to get it?

Jan 3, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #2,062 of 4,398
i get that,

what im trying to get at is. you can put a 3.5 TS plug into a3.5 TRS socket yes.

and people buy 400$ balanced cables with 2x 3.5 TRS going into the headphones and like a 4.4m TRRS connector. if the headphone only supports just TS, then one wire in the TRS is unused so you have 2 wires unused in the TRRS, which only makes it a TS, which makes it not balanced, even though its balanced?

thats what im trying to get it?
No.
That's a misconception.

Bc you have 2 TS on the opposite side, which means 4 conductors.
So on a 4.4 TRRRS the sleeve is unused mostly while the others are wired.

Typical scheme is

T= left +
R1= left -
R2= right +
R3= right -
S = ground/ unused

Otherwise i misread your post, than i'm sorry. :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #2,063 of 4,398
Bismillah

Who here has a reliable frequency graph of the 9200? I have seen conflicting measurements - some indicate a more V shaped signature while the crinnacle one shows a more mid centric signature. When I listen to the 9200 I hear a more V shape. What say you all? Thanks.
The V-sahped measurements are done from DIY rigs without pinna gain, which is why it looks like that. I would go with Crinnacle's since it's more accurate due to standardized equipment used that has the pinna (which is why you are seeing the mids rise, our ears). I would take better accurate compared to questionable rig.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #2,065 of 4,398
The V-sahped measurements are done from DIY rigs without pinna gain, which is why it looks like that. I would go with Crinnacle's since it's more accurate due to standardized equipment used that has the pinna. I would take better accurate compared to questionable rig.

I always considered the 9200 to be V shaped now I’m wondering what a real V shaped headphone sounds like. Can you recommend a good classic my V shaped headphone? Maybe Ultrasone or Fostex

Jan 3, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #2,066 of 4,398
I always considered the 9200 to be V shaped now I’m wondering what a real V shaped headphone sounds like. Can you recommend a good classic my V shaped headphone? Maybe Ultrasone or Fostex
V-shaped would be when the upper-mids are hardly present with treble and bass emphasis. The D9200 is halfway there with the bass, but not the treble. It doesn't have such a strong treble. If the headphone was like HD800 on the treble and D9200 on the bass, it would be V-shaped. HD800 is just on the lean side below the treble.

In regards to treble, Beyers are kinda almost there for V-shaped, but some of them have some thickness in the lower-mids, so it's not completely v-shaped.

Meze 99s are for sure V-shaped.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #2,067 of 4,398
V-shaped would be when the upper-mids are hardly present with treble and bass emphasis. The D9200 is halfway there with the bass, but not the treble. It doesn't have such a strong treble. If the headphone was like HD800 on the treble and D9200 on the bass, it would be V-shaped. HD800 is just on the lean side below the treble.

In regards to treble, Beyers are kinda almost there for V-shaped, but some of them have some thickness in the lower-mids, so it's not completely v-shaped.

Meze 99s are for sure V-shaped.
Point is, no one cares who graph it is, it is a graph. Incomplete story, a graph is limited in revealing sonics.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #2,068 of 4,398
Point is, no one cares who graph it is, it is a graph. Incomplete story, a graph is limited in revealing sonics.
I don't know what you are talking about. We were talking about rigs and tonal charactetistics and you're going into something else. Your philosophy on things. No relavence. Go to the science section if you feel like a debate. I'm sure they will be open to discussing with you on your topic you brought up. You can also go to Jude's measurement blog as well.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #2,069 of 4,398
I don't know what you are talking about. We were talking about rigs and tonal charactetistics and you're going into something else. Your philosophy on things. No relavence. Go to the science section if you feel like a debate.
I have an idea, Read previous posts. You cannot hear anything from a graph. If you don't like what I say ignore my posts, they have given guys just like you the opportunity to do by including an ignore button. Go shill for Cribacle elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back