Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #1,981 of 4,391
Denon does not get the publicity they deserve but some of the blame lies with them as well.
Sadly, this statement holds a lot of truth.

Denon is an established player with a relatively well-regarded brand. Thanks to the headphone's innate characteristics, it wouldn't be too difficult to market the AH-D9200 as a world-beater. However, they've stayed largely quiet on the personal audio front - there is little marketing involved, and non-existent hype and/or fanfare surrounding their flagship units. The AH-D9200 is easily a statement product, something that could draw masses to the brand. Sadly, they've done little to entrench themselves within the hotly-contested battlefront of the personal audiophile realm.

The AH-D9200 could easily be ranked as one of the best headphones on the contemporary market. Unfortunately, as the status quo goes, they remain a bit player in the grander scheme of things.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #1,982 of 4,391
I think its always problematic trying to condense complex products down into one number/rank/whatever: there are too many loosely related aspects, and their relative weight changes with the person doing the evaluation. Plus many things are very personal (e.g. sound and comfort), so even with identical weighting the result could be completely different. I know Crinacle is very open about this, clearly states that the ranking is *his* opinion and not some kind of global truth. He listens to a lot of headphones, and this obviously is very helpful to people sharing his overall taste. My own taste seems to be rather far off, so that ranking may not be that helpful to me (I like the old one-line characterizations though).

That being said, I'd not rate the APM over the D9200 by sound quality (or even comfort for me), yet I'm sitting here at my desk wearing the APM... because it does sound good, is wireless, comfortable, easy to handle (i.e. stops music when I take it off, takes over for an audio conference, ...) etc. I'll take to my D9200 later when I sit down to read something in my lounge chair, where my Austrian Audio Hi-X55 is also waiting.

I even used the APM yesterday while reading... because it does sound good and I was expecting interruptions. Essentially the APM was a thing I've been waiting for for a long time. It does scratch those itches, and does that very well.

I once owned an HD800S (never liked the HD800 though). Sold it long ago, just did not cut if for me. Not closed enough, still too bass shy (and I had different amps from Sennheisers own to Meier Audio, Violectric, SPL etc.). I also disliked its tendency to force details on my when I wanted to just enjoy music. Others love it -- that won't help me though.

Talking about well-loved headphones: the one to rule them all, the HD650 (or its cheaper version HD6XX). That one I really dislike, and not for being open. Its the sound signature (where's my deep bass? Where's my treble) and the comfort (I know, stretching etc... did not work out for me). Others love it -- and thats absolutely fine. Its a rather cheap model thats obviously a competent sounding headphone for many and a good entry into this field. I'd not get it again though.

I've given up trying out Focal models. All I heard so far were very far from what I like, and not even cheap. Others just love them -- and I have no intention of changing that.

Hifiman... there's many things I dislike about that one. Some still love them -- their weighting of aspects is obviously very different from mine, using a different scale most likely. Fine with me as well.

If a reviewer is very consistent, I might be able to calculate my personal offsets and relate to his/her findings: I often could translate Tylls descriptions of sound into my own domain.

Short summary: despite getting the APM I'm still very happy with the D9200. I like its balanced approach that does not forget about bass and details, its craftsmanship, its design. And, not to forget, its reasonable price. At least in relation to some other offerings.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #1,984 of 4,391
Again, as a reviewer, or more importantly as a person with a subjective opinion, always realize there is no such thing as an expert in hearing audiophile gear. Each person is an expert of their own subjective opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I can vehemently disagree with the way someone arrived at their opinion, ie. quick listens in headphone shops or noisy CanJam floors, but I can't argue with what someone says they hear. The same, no one can tell me or you what we hear, because there are too many factors that come into play.
Take it for what it is, one person's opinion, mine or anyone's hold no more or less weight.
All buyers become "reviewers".

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #1,985 of 4,391
All buyers become "reviewers".
Some last words regarding my last post: I just find it very suspicious that someone who has such a reputation and fan base for IEM as crinacle is apparently so wrong with Over Ears. If someone keeps a list with a ranking and also a database with measurements, then that has a different claim than just the opinion of an internet boy.
This is different from Z's reviews, which are just fun and subjectivity is directly recognizable.

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #1,986 of 4,391
Some last words regarding my last post: I just find it very suspicious that someone who has such a reputation and fan base for IEM as crinacle is apparently so wrong with Over Ears. If someone keeps a list with a ranking and also a database with measurements, then that has a different claim than just the opinion of an internet boy.
This is different from Z's reviews, which are just fun and subjectivity is directly recognizable.

His ranking is all over the place. He put the HD820 on the bottom. Omg... this is utterly. Reviewers should be regulated and doctors should check those ears before and after every review. I am sure the frequency range of those ears should be so much narrower than the 20hz - 20khz. it could also be that those ears are already V shape to begin with.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #1,988 of 4,391
His ranking is all over the place. He put the HD820 on the bottom. Omg... this is utterly. Reviewers should be regulated and doctors should check those ears before and after every review. I am sure the frequency range of those ears should be so much narrower than the 20hz - 20khz. it could also be that those ears are already V shape to begin with.
Well, the HD 820 has its issues, but it's technically one of the most proficient and adept headphones on the market, especially within the closed side of things.

Again, it must be stressed that his list is (mostly) subjective in nature. You are free to disagree with it; it shouldn't impact how you enjoy your headphones. :)

For context, some of the headphones that I like and/or love are ranked really low -
  • Sony MDR-Z1R C+
  • Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT C
  • Campfire Audio Cascade C
  • Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed C
  • Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow 1.1 C
  • Denon AH-D9200 C
  • Sony MDR-Z7M2 C
  • Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation) D+
  • Klipsch Heritage HP-3 D+
It has come to a point that any headphone that I have yet to audition, and has been placed in the lower-half of Crin's list is automatically added into my "Must Try" list. It seems that, by and large, he doesn't enjoy what I love, and vice versa.

Thus, in a way, his list is actually rather useful. It's just an inverse list, of sorts.

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #1,989 of 4,391
Just one page before all this toxicity:

Looks like that was a lie.

I would be grateful if you can clarify what was toxic about my post.
I still posit that your rating of said headphone does not impact me or my enjoyment of the 9200.
I get it, you need to attract attention and get the ball running.
It is part of today's approach to present opinions.
Nothing against that.
Your contribution is making us engage and interact.
If I caused any offence, it was not my point.

Furthermore, when I joined headfi, pitchforks were sharpened on a daily basis against anyone who would not love the HD650 or flat sound.
You'd get shot on sight for even suggesting an EQ on a song.
This thread is miles off how it was in the past.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #1,990 of 4,391
I would be grateful if you can clarify what was toxic about my post.
I still posit that your rating of said headphone does not impact me or my enjoyment of the 9200.
I get it, you need to attract attention and get the ball running.
It is part of today's approach to present opinions.
Nothing against that.
Your contribution is making us engage and interact.
If I caused any offence, it was not my point.

Furthermore, when I joined headfi, pitchforks were sharpened on a daily basis against anyone who would not love the HD650 or flat sound.
You'd get shot on sight for even suggesting an EQ on a song.
This thread is miles off how it was in the past.

I was not referring to you. I was referring to the disparity between your post, which affirmed the positivity and acknowledgement of subjective opinion in the hobby, with posts #1,985 and #1,986.

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #1,991 of 4,391
I was not referring to you. I was referring to the disparity between your post, which affirmed the positivity and acknowledgement of subjective opinion in the hobby, with posts #1,985 and #1,986.

Thanks for taking the time. Better to clarify than lead to a misunderstanding.
Sadly, some are a bit more vocal than others when it comes to this passion.

I want to thank you for posting that ranking.
I can imagine it took some work and gives people something to digest.
You also gave the 9200 a bit if buzz because people now are curious how it sounds.
Keep up the good work!

/E

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #1,992 of 4,391
Well, the HD 820 has its issues, but it's technically one of the most proficient and adept headphones on the market, especially within the closed side of things.

Again, it must be stressed that his list is (mostly) subjective in nature. You are free to disagree with it; it shouldn't impact how you enjoy your headphones. :)

For context, some of the headphones that I like and/or love are ranked really low -
  • Sony MDR-Z1R C+
  • Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT C
  • Campfire Audio Cascade C
  • Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed C
  • Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow 1.1 C
  • Denon AH-D9200 C
  • Sony MDR-Z7M2 C
  • Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation) D+
  • Klipsch Heritage HP-3 D+
It has come to a point that any headphone that I have yet to audition, and has been placed in the lower-half of Crin's list is automatically added into my "Must Try" list. It seems that, by and large, he doesn't enjoy what I love, and vice versa.

Thus, in a way, his list is actually rather useful. It's just an inverse list, of sorts.
Great post!

People 'hear' differently (both physically and mentally). I'm sure my audiology report would be different than many other Head-Fiers. Beyond the physical hearing differences, people have different sound signature preferences and like different music. When these factors are combined, it should be easy to see why others tastes may vary from our own.

It's hard to understand why folks get so invested in 'being right' in this very personal hobby. :beerchug:

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #1,993 of 4,391

While I can see how your ranking might be polarizing (some things just don't follow the majority), I think nobody should be hurt to hear/read an opinion differing from his/her own. Great discussions do not come from people with the same opinion, but from talking about differences, different views, needs, wants. As I said before, we obviously don't share preferences (I'm more with @Malevolent on that) I appreciate the work you put into this listing. The internet tends to be a rough place, with anonymity leading to insults that most people would never think about when talking in person. This is unfortunate, and maybe due to the feeling of limited impact.

Another problem might be that people with differing opinions are often much more vocal about that than people supporting one. Maybe those should also speak up more often.

Overall, thank you for your contributions. Looking forward to future discussions!

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #1,994 of 4,391
Again, as a reviewer, or more importantly as a person with a subjective opinion, always realize there is no such thing as an expert in hearing audiophile gear. Each person is an expert of their own subjective opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I can vehemently disagree with the way someone arrived at their opinion, ie. quick listens in headphone shops or noisy CanJam floors, but I can't argue with what someone says they hear. The same, no one can tell me or you what we hear, because there are too many factors that come into play.
Take it for what it is, one person's opinion, mine or anyone's hold no more or less weight.
It is also sad that many feel they need validation from some random guy on the internet to enjoy their gear. If you enjoy it, you enjoy it. Who cares what anyone thinks? My opinion or anyone else that publishes a subjective opinion shouldn't have an impact on what you enjoy.

Negative reviews, harsh opinions attract far more attention that going with the flow. Some folks earn money from their sites, not that there is anything wrong with that, and some self fund and refuse to go down that path.

Different ways of getting an opinion out there.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,995 of 4,391
Please excuse me if my formulations have gone wrong. I think that your site is a really good institution on the web and would like to thank you for your work. I have absolute respect for it! However, I disagree with some of your results and had announced this here in the forum - which I think is OK in a forum. This was not done to make your work bad or that I saw myself discredited with my opinion or to hope for confirmation of my purchases. Audio is indeed a very subjective hobby and that's the charm of it. If you expose your opinion on the net, there will always be discussions about it - that's why I can't understand why people here get so upset about such a discussion or expressions of opinion. Be it as it is - I wish you continued success with your passion for headphones and will now turn on my personal S-grade headphones :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back