Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #751 of 4,412
Not sure if all tube amps will mellow the sound.
YMMV (and can be disputed) so I say with quiet voice, but I would not use tubes for small signal amplification, even if it's easier to build good sounding amps with them: IMHO MOSFET or LD-MOS can be better.
For start, try any of these:
JDS Labs Atom, Schiit Magni (IMHO better than Valhalla), JDS O2, Topping DX7, Pro-Ject Pre S2 Digital, Metrum (e.g. Amethyst), RME ADI-2, Matrix Audio products, etc.
Also take a look at others' lists, for instance https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-headphone-amps
Disclaimer, I don't use any of these any more. For dynamic headphones I use a custom built amp with Panasonic LDMOS (not commercially available).

IMHO the slight brightness of the D9200 mainly comes from the stock cables. I tried 4 types of copper cables with the D9200, brightness was gone with all of them (even though there've been sound differences).
Trade the D9200 cables with D7200 cables and both parties will benefit :). Or use any copper cable (except the short D9200 cable which is quite bad).

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #752 of 4,412
Thanks for the tips!
This is starting to look like an even bigger rabbit hole than picking the actual headphones (which took long enough). I guess I should probably take to the help forum before I derail this thread any further.

In any case, it's day 3 of testing the D9200 and I still think I might have finally found a set of cans I'll keep. The mid-base is more impactful and yet faster and clearer than on the Eikon and Atticus - kind of like a noticably dryer Fostex base that doesn't impact the mids as much as on the X00. I also enjoy the more forward mids and treble compared to my X00, but i do think they sound a bit cold and flat when compared to the Eikon. There's some plasticity missing. I wonder if that's something the right amp pairing could help with, because my X7 DAC/amp combo is rather cold to begin with.

I'll also look into the cable swap. There's so many custom cable shops. Any proven ones in Europe?

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #753 of 4,412
cosmic-cables.co.uk have a massive range, I purchased a cable from the planet collection and build quality was excellent and
the cable tamed the 6k spike of my hd800, I am currently building my own cable for my D9200 and Focal clear all parts
also purchased from them.

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #754 of 4,412
can anyone compare oppo pm1 to the 9200. i'm trying to figure out if it's worth selling my pm1 to fund a 9200 as i can't really afford both. i need a solid increase in performance to justify it. if someone could comment on the following two points too it would be great.

1) 9200 and it's ability to scale up with high end amps/dacs such as chord dave for example. i.e. audible difference going from a dap with average performance to high end headphone amplifiers.

2) soundstage and imaging bearing in mind this is a closed back can.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #756 of 4,412
Ah, it's just sharing enthusiasm, I'd say. And comparisons for information. I like Kennerton headphones a lot too (own four pairs), and some of us feel they are one of those "best-kept secret" kind of headphone companies (being from Russia probably doesn't help on that front). Not perfect, of course, but they offer a level of quality and craftsmanship that is pretty special, from my perspective at least. But anyway, yes-- Denon! I'm still loving both my recently acquired 9200 and 7200. (And I'm still keeping my 7000). I'm actually also interested in acquiring the Sony MDR Z1R, just because I like to have some different flavours.

Speaking of, anybody have thoughts about the Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV (a.k.a. "Japan")? I used to have a pair and liked them a lot-- often went back and forth between them and the D7000. I would still be enjoying them, but sadly they were part of collateral damage of my divorce. Still likely held hostage at my ex's. Maybe time for a SWAT team rescue...
I'm sorry WHAT? This makes no sense to me. Go get your damn headphones man...I mean just like knock on the damn door and get them...like today or now..

Dec 21, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #757 of 4,412
I'm sorry WHAT? This makes no sense to me. Go get your damn headphones man...I mean just like knock on the damn door and get them...like today or now..

Ha. She claims she cannot find them. Maybe I'll get them back as a 'Christmas gift.' Thanks for the concern. In any event, back to the Denons...The 9200 or the PM1? I had the Oppo's for a while-- didn't really cut it for me. Too polite. I find the tonality/delivery of the 9200 better, for my tastes at least.

Dec 21, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #758 of 4,412
4281ECF4-B9ED-4003-8623-CC5844CC51B4.jpeg
Just arrived!
Wonderful, promising sound right out of the box....
With the SPKM I don’t hear that brightness people talk about... balanced, airy, wonderful bass!
Now the burning begins

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #759 of 4,412
SNIP.....
I have bought cheap, but good quality copper cable from the Scientific Wire Company UK (0.45 mm solid core copper, double cotton insulation and made headphone cable using again cheap connectors (copper is best) and cotton sleeves (2.5 mm and 4 mm thick).
It's no-schiit, plain (utterly non-UPOCC) 2x2 single-core copper wires in cotton sleeves, with plain cotton (not yak-hair) insulation, nothing special here.
SNIP

Great information. Will wait a bit after my new to me D9200 cans are here (this week) before I try a mod like this.

Quick question - with daily use as headphone cable, how long does solid core copper wire last prior to cracking/breaking from brittle fracture? Obviously have to avoid kinking it. Just try to guage how often the can leads will need to be repaired/replaced.

Thanks

Dec 25, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #761 of 4,412
Just arrived!
Wonderful, promising sound right out of the box....
With the SPKM I don’t hear that brightness people talk about... balanced, airy, wonderful bass!
Now the burning begins
one of the best headphones i own

Dec 25, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #762 of 4,412
Quick question - with daily use as headphone cable, how long does solid core copper wire last prior to cracking/breaking from brittle fracture? Obviously have to avoid kinking it. Just try to guage how often the can leads will need to be repaired/replaced.
Thanks

Time will tell, but this cable seems quite OK. The solidity of connectors matters more, since with stiffer cables there is a lot more stress on the connectors, and most connectors are crap (from mechanical point of view).
BTW it's very hard to find soft enough copper cables. Annealing helps, but in general copper becomes more stiff the more it's bent and used, so time and usage will affect them. That is true for all diameters.
On the other hand, stiffer cables will bend much less often and to lesser extent than thin strands.

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #763 of 4,412
5 watts the 9200 seems to want.
20191226_135146.jpg
20191226_135159.jpg

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #764 of 4,412
Well! My beauty combo...
image.jpg

After 110+ hour burn, I just wanted to thank all the guys here!!
The clarity, balance, and sheer beauty of the sound are pure joy...

Only one thing... the experts were right in saying that the cable can be improved.
Now my question for the experts is:
Silver or hybrid for the balanced cable??

My ears tell me they want more of the detail these beauties produce... just how much is the question...

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #765 of 4,412
Could someone please tell me the width of the stock 3.5mm connectors at the headphone end, I bought another cable from cosmic cables but made
the mistake of not specifying that it was for the Denons and received the connectors for the focal instead which are wider, Ian at cosmic has very kindly
offered to change them for me if I send it back but I also want to order some more parts to make my own cable but I'm away at the moment and don't
have access to the stock cable, your help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back