Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #781 of 4,427
For me is the 9200 the best closed by far.
The 9200 brings everything you need to EQ it - if you think you need it.
On the other hand, you cant EQ higher quality when you are tired of a bassy HP.

And ....surprised that someone said that the hd800 have same bass as the denon.
Think this is a very unique opinion.
Not the same, but very similar, the D9200 had very marginally more in one area, but across the material I tested with, right from the bassies EDM to live instruments, the presentation in that area remained relatively similar: snappy, precise, never straying over the line - even in some cases where you might want it to. That and some deviation in the upper mid-range made it more forward sounding, which by contrast limits the tolerable volume, and thus bass output for me. And both take a sophisticated approach, staying a step away, and handing you every piece of information on a silver platter as needed. Rather than, say a Fostex which will slap you in the face with it, or some warmer headphones which will lean on you and completely envelop you in a blanket of the constant hum and rumble of the music.
All I'm saying is if you were (as I was hoping for) expecting a D7000 spiritual successor, like the TH900 was, i.e. a monstrous party animal, compared to most 'hifi' headphones, it isn't that. It sounds more sophisticated, like a German headphone. Not that its a bad thing, simply something to be aware of - I certainly agree its the overall best one at the moment, or a candidate at least.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #782 of 4,427
Thank you for the information. I don't necessarily need a basshead can. I just can't stand when the bass is weak. I have 2 tower speakers and a sub that I have tuned to 50hz with moderate volume for the purpose of creating 100% of the sound that exists, nothing more and nothing less. This is what I want in a headphone as well. I just want it to sound RIGHT.
You're welcome - I feel I've minced enough words here. I'd generally agree on your approach, though I do have a bass-head streak at times, where I grab my B&W P7 for some EDM! I generally valued objective precision and control over all else, but as I got more sensitive to high frequencies due to stress, I found myself less able to tolerate the more detail focused audio devices, as they most often tend to lean towards the, well, leaner or brighter side of tuning. Even ended up preferring, Odin forbid, my Bose QuietControl 30 and B&W P7 most of the time, over all my high end headphones, simply for the warmer presentation.
This is why I was personally dubious about the D9200 presentation at first; because I was in search of something warm/full/dark, rather than reference.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #783 of 4,427
You're welcome - I feel I've minced enough words here. I'd generally agree on your approach, though I do have a bass-head streak at times, where I grab my B&W P7 for some EDM! I generally valued objective precision and control over all else, but as I got more sensitive to high frequencies due to stress, I found myself less able to tolerate the more detail focused audio devices, as they most often tend to lean towards the, well, leaner or brighter side of tuning. Even ended up preferring, Odin forbid, my Bose QuietControl 30 and B&W P7 most of the time, over all my high end headphones, simply for the warmer presentation.
This is why I was personally dubious about the D9200 presentation at first; because I was in search of something warm/full/dark, rather than reference.
I love that you say it's not really what you were looking for but still think it's the best out right now. I have a feeling I'm in for a treat.

Dec 30, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #784 of 4,427
I most certainly would not call the bass of the 9200 strong, by any measure. Directly comparing to the HD800, it only has marginally more bass, but not notably. Not in the way that a fostex TH600, 6XX or 900 has.

I'm of a really different opinion in that regard. Having both the Fostex TH-X00 and Denon 9200 here with me and having done side-by-side comparisons for several days now, I would say that the Denon 9200's bass is definitely on the hard-hitting end of the spectrum of everything I've listened to, even in light of the Fostex's capabilities. In fact, I got out both cans while writing this in order to be certain of my assessment.
There is no doubt that the Fostex biocellulose driver cans' bass is very punchy. This is emphasized by the fact that the TH-X00 (and especially the TH-900) is V-shaped, allowing you to increase the volume to the point where bass impact becomes quite extreme, without the mids reaching unlistenable levels. The D9200 has much more foreward mids, of course, but even when volume-matched, its bass hits about 90% as hard as that of the TH-X00 - and it does so with a different quality: It seems a bit dryer, hitting with more precision and no bleed into the mids. This precision is maintained on high volume and it is also maintained when EQing the bass, which means that in terms of bass impact capability, the D9200 can, in my experience, asbolutely go toe to toe with the TH-X00, if you are so inclined. But even in its original tune, the fact that you'd experience the HD800's bass as even comparable to that of the D9200 just has me very puzzled. Of course, everybody has their own perspective, but in this case your experience with the D9200 seems to differ so considerably from mine that I just had to chime in and share it. ; )

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #785 of 4,427
I'm of a really different opinion in that regard. Having both the Fostex TH-X00 and Denon 9200 here with me and having done side-by-side comparisons for several days now, I would say that the Denon 9200's bass is definitely on the hard-hitting end of the spectrum of everything I've listened to, even in light of the Fostex's capabilities. In fact, I got out both cans while writing this in order to be certain of my assessment.
There is no doubt that the Fostex biocellulose driver cans' bass is very punchy. This is emphasized by the fact that the TH-X00 (and especially the TH-900) is V-shaped, allowing you to increase the volume to the point where bass impact becomes quite extreme, without the mids reaching unlistenable levels. The D9200 has much more foreward mids, of course, but even when volume-matched, its bass hits about 90% as hard as that of the TH-X00 - and it does so with a different quality: It seems a bit dryer, hitting with more precision and no bleed into the mids. This precision is maintained on high volume and it is also maintained when EQing the bass, which means that in terms of bass impact capability, the D9200 can, in my experience, asbolutely go toe to toe with the TH-X00, if you are so inclined. But even in its original tune, the fact that you'd experience the HD800's bass as even comparable to that of the D9200 just has me very puzzled. ^^
Maybe he lacked MWs ?

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #786 of 4,427
What about true hi end gear eg chord. Does it play noticeably different to the average dap? The ability to truly scale upwards is what i'm truly interested in.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #788 of 4,427
This precision is maintained on high volume and it is also maintained when EQing the bass, which means that in terms of bass impact capability, the D9200 can, in my experience, asbolutely go toe to toe with the TH-X00, if you are so inclined.

To be fair, the TH-X00 is also the most toned down version of the fostex, since they actively tried to bring out the mids more, making it more reference. I've got the TH-600 as well as X00 (which is true, its closer to the 9200) on hand, and used to have the 900 (treble was bloody murder). Even so, looking at measurements, the Fostex TH600/900 has an about +10dB increase around 50-100hz, compared to the peaks of the rest of its response. The 9200 is basically in line all the way (almost planar like response on some measurements), much like the HD800, the main difference there being that the HD800 has a bigger dip pre-4kHz and rolls off slightly earlier in the bass, which the 9200 doesn't, which is why the 9200 sounds less "distant".
The TH-X00 only has a +3-5dB increase, nowhere near as pronounced, so it is much closer to being flat, like the Denon - closer to the D7000 in some ways actually.

Anyway, it is what it is, whether its something you notice or not; its not a relevant difference for most music, mostly just for specifically listening to bass heavy electronic music, or some metal where you might want a bit more punch. For this sort of music, every bit counts to me; the TH-600 has a bit more heft (though still sharp high) and the P7 is even more suitable, as it has a similar quantity of bass (also about +10dB or more), but with less aggressive highs.
If you're satisfied with its low en, more power to ya!
Sadly I suspect my hunt might go on... There just aren't really any other good options at the moment, which I haven't explored, other than ZMF, but his headphones tend to look a tad too wonky on your head for portable use :)

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #789 of 4,427
What about true hi end gear eg chord. Does it play noticeably different to the average dap? The ability to truly scale upwards is what i'm truly interested in.
Like I said, since its easy to drive, the jump isn't 'that' notable, you'll only hear the qualitative difference/or tonality of different gear. It's not like an Ether C or HE-6 which will very notably gain more detail, control and low end, simply as a result of needing more power to run properly.
The Ether's sounded good through my AK240, great though a Mojo and slightly better still through the Hugo... But less so on some other high end amps: it was mainly a matter of power, fidelity was a secondary factor. The Denons sound great with most gear, only being sensitive to more minute changes in quality, as the power isn't an issue - but you'll hear the minute change in presentation if swapping between sufficiently different gear.
So I'd say unless you're actively looking for an inconvenient and picky headphone, which requires you to spend money on a bigger amp (as fun as the process of discovering its potential may be, if you have the time and money), this should be regarded as a good thing, since for one thing, it makes it more easily portable :)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #790 of 4,427
My experience with the 9200 has been great. Everything sounds great it scales with power.
I'm burning them these 2 week but so far this are exceptional headphones, 2,3 friends like us heard them and were very impressed too

Dec 31, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #791 of 4,427
For me is the 9200 the best closed by far.
The 9200 brings everything you need to EQ it - if you think you need it.
On the other hand, you cant EQ higher quality when you are tired of a bassy HP.

And ....surprised that someone said that the hd800 have same bass as the denon.
Think this is a very unique opinion.

Nothing in common between the bass of these 2 cans whatsoever

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #792 of 4,427
To be fair, the TH-X00 is also the most toned down version of the fostex, since they actively tried to bring out the mids more, making it more reference. I've got the TH-600 as well as X00 (which is true, its closer to the 9200) on hand, and used to have the 900 (treble was bloody murder). Even so, looking at measurements, the Fostex TH600/900 has an about +10dB increase around 50-100hz, compared to the peaks of the rest of its response. The 9200 is basically in line all the way (almost planar like response on some measurements), much like the HD800, the main difference there being that the HD800 has a bigger dip pre-4kHz and rolls off slightly earlier in the bass, which the 9200 doesn't, which is why the 9200 sounds less "distant".
The TH-X00 only has a +3-5dB increase, nowhere near as pronounced, so it is much closer to being flat, like the Denon - closer to the D7000 in some ways actually.

Anyway, it is what it is, whether its something you notice or not; its not a relevant difference for most music, mostly just for specifically listening to bass heavy electronic music, or some metal where you might want a bit more punch. For this sort of music, every bit counts to me; the TH-600 has a bit more heft (though still sharp high) and the P7 is even more suitable, as it has a similar quantity of bass (also about +10dB or more), but with less aggressive highs.
If you're satisfied with its low en, more power to ya!
Sadly I suspect my hunt might go on... There just aren't really any other good options at the moment, which I haven't explored, other than ZMF, but his headphones tend to look a tad too wonky on your head for portable use :)
Nice descriptions but all on frequency response and signature.

Absolutely nothing clearly noted about the resolve or realism.

If you have a quality source higher than mid-grade, like yggy quality with good amp, then you will notice that none of those cans mentioned (with exception of the hd800, 9200, or ZMF), are any higher than mid-tier Headphones quality in resolve.

The Fostex were great sounding cans, with even great details, but the level realism of HD800 just wasn't there.

On the other hand, the Denon is at HD800 level realism, without the diffuse stage. It sounding more like a biocelulouse version of a focal Utopia, with more bass lows, and treble air.
I ended up reaching for the 9200 more than my Utopia, so I sold my Utopia...
Screenshot_20191231-090611__01.jpg

Nothing in common between the bass of these 2 cans whatsoever
I haven't been around to read any comments, but the only thing that could be the most different of these two very different Headphones, is the bass.
Denon bass is closer to planar type.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #794 of 4,427
Why do you have a 4 pin mini xlr in your HD800
Because I made a custom wire which kept breaking.
Aftermarket DIY plugs for HD 800 suck..
Plus old models use needle thin wire inside.
So I went ahead and change the socket instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back