Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #796 of 4,427
Jan 2, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #798 of 4,427
Interesting, thanks for that, let me read through that thread. Appreciate it.
That is the Orpheus thread but they started talking about the 820 and I read an interesting comment on it by Protoss so I chimed in only in regards to his comment.

My experience with the 820 was only from a couple of not so long auditions but from what I recall, it never gave me any "wow" moments in that it did not do anything to make me say, "hey I think I might get one of these".

If I get another chance, I'll try to do a comparison.

Good luck and let us know how your decision goes.

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #799 of 4,427
That is the Orpheus thread but they started talking about the 820 and I read an interesting comment on it by Protoss so I chimed in only in regards to his comment.
And can one use the 820 on the go ? I heard noises when usung it.

My experience with the 820 was only from a couple of not so long auditions but from what I recall, it never gave me any "wow" moments in that it did not do anything to make me say, "hey I think I might get one of these".

If I get another chance, I'll try to do a comparison.

Good luck and let us know how your decision goes.

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #800 of 4,427
I about to make a purchase, but can anyone compare the D9200 to the HD820 closed. These two are my two targets at about the same price range.

Thanks
i felt like the hd820 sounded "disengaged" and flat in direct comparison with the d9200. the latter has an utterly dynamic and energetic sound profile whereas the former never kicked into high gear. also i thought the mids sounded somewhat colored with the hd820. ymmv.

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #801 of 4,427
Got my ah-d9200's in today. I just started listening to them a few minutes ago but first impressions are more or less in line with what this thread has told me. Extremely clear and detailed. Like, every little noise you can imagine is now hearable. It's pretty crazy and something I've never experienced before. The bass is definitely present but I wouldn't call it super powerful. It's snappy and it's there but you don't feel it in your chest like with the d7000's. I think it would be fair to call it balanced. Songs with big drums do reverberate through your head but it's super tight and neat. The treble doesn't hurt or anything but there's more. Still have much more music to listen to.

edit: the quality on this track almost made me cry (not really you know what I mean). Bass sounds fantastic. All of it does to be honest. The cd version must be ridiculous.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #802 of 4,427
I take it back. They can definitely slam when they're supposed to. Likeing them more every minute. I do see that a side effect of detailed highs can be slightly harsh cymbals in certain songs. Most of the time it's fine but every once in awhile you come across a hot recording and you hear it for what it is. They sound amazing with metal so far. Distorted guitars have have the snarl and crunch I was hoping for. Acoustic guitars and drums are out of this world.

Only peeve so far is the same braided sheath on the outside of the cable that the d7000 has that makes noise in the ear cups when they rub your leg as you turn your head or move around. I'd rather have a smooth silent cable.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #803 of 4,427
I take it back. They can definitely slam when they're supposed to. Likeing them more every minute. I do see that a side effect of detailed highs can be slightly harsh cymbals in certain songs. Most of the time it's fine but every once in awhile you come across a hot recording and you hear it for what it is. They sound amazing with metal so far. Distorted guitars have have the snarl and crunch I was hoping for. Acoustic guitars and drums are out of this world.

My impression exactly, now that I’m at 200+ hours!...
Musicality, precise imaging, with badass bass and sub bass. Drums and cymbals sound insane...
I miss nothing from the Atlas experience, which are considered musical bass monsters.

Jan 3, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #804 of 4,427
My impression exactly, now that I’m at 200+ hours!...
Musicality, precise imaging, with badass bass and sub bass. Drums and cymbals sound insane...
I miss nothing from the Atlas experience, which are considered musical bass monsters.
Th900 are king bass monsters

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #805 of 4,427
Nice descriptions but all on frequency response and signature.

Absolutely nothing clearly noted about the resolve or realism.

If you have a quality source higher than mid-grade, like yggy quality with good amp, then you will notice that none of those cans mentioned (with exception of the hd800, 9200, or ZMF), are any higher than mid-tier Headphones quality in resolve.

The Fostex were great sounding cans, with even great details, but the level realism of HD800 just wasn't there.

On the other hand, the Denon is at HD800 level realism, without the diffuse stage. It sounding more like a biocelulouse version of a focal Utopia, with more bass lows, and treble air.
I ended up reaching for the 9200 more than my Utopia, so I sold my Utopia...

Thank you.
Absolutely nothing is clearly noted about resolve and realism, because that was not what was being discussed.
And I have owned/heard enough 'higher than mid-grade' gear to know it should never be used as an excuse or pretence of authority, to make condescending comments about such things. For one thing, unless you're dealing with hard-to-drive planars, assuming you're not using a flip-phone from the early 2000's, you can tell most differences between headphones even out of an iPod - they simply may in some cases become more obvious with better gear. And obviously headphones costing 3 times as much, or more, will usually outperform in detail and precision, this was again, never the focus of the conversation.

Rant aside, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it! :)
Its a shame the D9200 seems to have been overlooked largely by the community...

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #807 of 4,427
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #808 of 4,427
I'm curious what sort of music you guys are listening to with your D9200's? It would be interesting to see if that has something to do with the differing experience in terms of bass quantity/perception and overall presentation? Some genres may be more prone to provoke certain 'issues' in a headphone, than others.

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #809 of 4,427
Got my ah-d9200's in today. I just started listening to them a few minutes ago but first impressions are more or less in line with what this thread has told me. Extremely clear and detailed. Like, every little noise you can imagine is now hearable. It's pretty crazy and something I've never experienced before. The bass is definitely present but I wouldn't call it super powerful. It's snappy and it's there but you don't feel it in your chest like with the d7000's. I think it would be fair to call it balanced. Songs with big drums do reverberate through your head but it's super tight and neat. The treble doesn't hurt or anything but there's more. Still have much more music to listen to.

Well, at least I'm not completely alone or off my rocker for making that assessment then - glad to hear you like them. :)

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #810 of 4,427
Rant aside, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it! :)
Its a shame the D9200 seems to have been overlooked largely by the community...
Yes I consider them the best closed headphones so far in terms of resolve and tonality..
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back