Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #601 of 4,412
Compared to utopia for eg the 9200 is in the middle price category so its natural to wonder how it compares to top end highest price headphones.

Nov 16, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #602 of 4,412
They are more different than similar. D9200 more reference and bright, can be a bit fatigue depending on your preferred signature. Z1R, warm bassy low end and depending on music can be boomy. Z1R is for me a more relaxed listening experience. D9200 more subbass less midbass and faster. I think the majority would pick the D9200 over the Z1R, the Z1R is very often love or hate. I've had mine for 3 years and still love it. But if I should be objective I would say that the D9200 is the better headphone and definitely up there amongst the best closed back for "only" 1500 USD :)

You always have a very polite way of expressing yourself :). And to be clear I don't mind it but some does!
I should add some soft words but I was too lazy.

Nov 16, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #603 of 4,412
I'm also interested in finding out if the denon really does scale up with hi end gear as many are just using daps here. i have a tt2 and mscaler so if i bought the denon i need to know it can extract everything my chord stack has to offer.

Nov 16, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #604 of 4,412
I'm also interested in finding out if the denon really does scale up with hi end gear as many are just using daps here. i have a tt2 and mscaler so if i bought the denon i need to know it can extract everything my chord stack has to offer.
Ive heard the 9200 on the TT2 , DAVE + Mscaler and ofcourse it sounded great. I also used the N8 with a Mass Kobo amp and it scaled.

Nov 16, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #605 of 4,412
good news gives one the confidence to take a step closer..:thumbsup:could you hear a difference from tt2 to dave? also i see you sold your sony.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #606 of 4,412
i can only confirm what the others have written.

i've had the lcd-4 and the z1r. lcd-4 is slow and the z1r has colored midrange compared to the d9200. don't let the price tag fool you. to me, the d9200 is not only hi end but endgame.

it's also true that the d9200 has a neutral and not explicitly warm sound signature. adding a bit of warmth by choosing good matching gear can be beneficial. i get a very nice overall sound from the ta-zh1es through moon audio black dragon v2 (balanced) into the d9200.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #607 of 4,412
I agree, the Sony show huge potential, but all fail to reach any reference level.

I bought a Sony z7, because for the money, it is leader in mid-tier cans, and that says alot about Sony.
I would pick the sony over any closed with exception of this 9200, because Sony can also easily be moded.
But 9200 (IMO), is THE top closed can.
It sounds equal to my Utopia in many ways (mids).
I had brief listening with closed focal cans, which did have great technicalities, but did not have the low end performance, or naturalness of the Denon.

But aside from that, the Sony resolve potential is higher than most all other closed cans.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #608 of 4,412
Still loving the 9200 here. I had the Focal Utopia for a while, but for my tastes, I'd take the Denon every time. And fortunately, the 9200 is not as bright/fatiguing as I was fearing. As someone described it, it's "good treble." For my ears at least, yes it has all the treble information you could want, but it's not spikey or harsh or clinical. Rather, it's more sparkly and clean. Extended, but still gentle. Overall, I love the Denon tonality/timbre. Such a great, inviting sound. Totally happy with both the 7200 and 9200.

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #609 of 4,412
So I've had a pair of the Denon AH-D9200's for a few days now and I must say I am extremely impressed with them. As many people have already said here, these headphones have an amazing balance of bass, mids, and treble. It just feels like every part of the frequency spectrum is evenly represented. These are also THE most resolving headphones I've ever listened to and I'm coming from a pair of ZMF Aeolus. I thought that those were incredibly clear and detailed but they sound absolutely veiled compared to the Denon. The bass, soundstage, and treble are noticeably better than that of the Aeolus, but the Aeolus still has the more natural timbre if only by something like 3-4% difference (mostly in the upper-mids and treble).

At first I was experiencing discomfort with treble that was ever so slightly just a bit too hot, and I'm not sure if this has already been discussed here, but that infamous AH-D9200 treble hotness is 100% caused by using the longer 3 meter cable. The shorter cable is made of OFC while the 3 meter cable has a silver coated OFC cable. I know how this sounds, because I've always thought that a cable is a cable is a cable, but I'm guessing that the AH-D9200's are so sensitive that the silver coating actually does change the sound. The shorter OFC cable does not exhibit the treble hotness that the longer silver coated cable does, but you do trade a bit of that insane resolution for the less energetic treble.

Overall, I'm still getting accustomed to the Denon's but it's seeming like they might replace the Aeolus for good. I always felt like the Aeolus had a surprisingly undynamic sound to them, and it was an aspect of them that I just couldn't ignore despite how amazingly natural and accurate the tonality of the Aeolus is.

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #610 of 4,412
Just did A B testing with another pair i have of AKG N90Q, both connected at the same time to Hugo2.
The AKG surprisingly became so good in the lower and mid after few listening months so assuming t will happen with the Denon, but, the AKG does sound better in some of the elements, especially in the lower freq.

I would continue to listen to both before deciding which one will stay, it's just the Denon might give me too much feelings of being in the front of the stage with sound coming so close, while the N90Q feels more surrounding and 'easy' on the type of music i'm listening to (Rock and Electronics).

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #611 of 4,412
Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #612 of 4,412
Hi boys and girls (girls here????) I am just alienating the hugo2 for the sabaj d5 .... yes yes I know it seems strange. And I wonder if this d9200 is so great. I suppose it is considering that the japanese budget on marketing should be really low so low expenses on reviewers.... I actually own or owned k812, k712, AeonC, r70x, hd600, mrs7, mrs7b, dt880, rs2e flares gold and pro. I obviously (as you all also are doing the same) try to find the perfect audio solution. More I read more I think the d9200 could be .... I normally listen to classical (k812 rules) and power metal (Aeon and R70x are great. Flares gold are always great but I am looking for headphone. Could be this Denon be the graal??
Thank you and sorry for my english, I live in Italy

Nov 17, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #613 of 4,412
Still loving the 9200 here. I had the Focal Utopia for a while, but for my tastes, I'd take the Denon every time. And fortunately, the 9200 is not as bright/fatiguing as I was fearing. As someone described it, it's "good treble." For my ears at least, yes it has all the treble information you could want, but it's not spikey or harsh or clinical. Rather, it's more sparkly and clean. Extended, but still gentle. Overall, I love the Denon tonality/timbre. Such a great, inviting sound. Totally happy with both the 7200 and 9200.
What about a comparison between the 7200 and the 9200? Do you evaluate the latter a real upgrade?

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #614 of 4,412

How much do the 9200 differ to the 7200 in term of bass quantity vs the rest of the spectrum? 7200 has a massive boost in the bass have they really tuned 9200 to be more flat and neutral? Or is it just small difference in balance and just better magnets or whatever then having a completly differently tonal balance?

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #615 of 4,412
How much do the 9200 differ to the 7200 in term of bass quantity vs the rest of the spectrum? 7200 has a massive boost in the bass have they really tuned 9200 to be more flat and neutral? Or is it just small difference in balance and just better magnets or whatever then having a completly differently tonal balance?

not compareable - the real nobrainer is the 9200 - best headphone i ever had! (yes the 7200er i had too - but this is only a fun-headphone)
they look very similar - the sounddiff erences are huge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back