Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #573 of 4,427
Oct 31, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #575 of 4,427
I'm about to demo them. I've loved Focal sound so far so I imagine they'll get it done for me. I have the Focal Clears and had Elegias. The cables never bothered me.
Cool enjoy.

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #576 of 4,427
I like the Stellia quite a bit and kind of want one in addition to the D9200.

I've listened to it on two occasions but both times they were fresh out of the box and not burned in. Bass was the main watch-out to me, as it sounded not-amazing and bled into the mids a bit. This is apparently supposed to clear up after burning in. Sure hope that's the case.

Mids and highs have that Focal sound (as alluded to above), which to me means lots of separation, speed, articulation, clarity, etc.

Overall tonality to me is very agreeable and comfortable (whereas the Utopia can be, let's say, a "challenging" listen), so that's a big draw to me. Mids are not "weird", which is how I hear the Elegia, for instance.

Overall sound signature is different enough from the D9200 to make it worth considering as a complement to the D9200 and not just as a direct replacement/side-grade. The fact that they can share cables is also kind of a plus.

Because I like the D9200 so much, I'd like to keep it at home permanently, which would mean needing something else to use at work, which is where the Stellia would come in. I just hate how a used Stellia still costs more than a used Utopia. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #577 of 4,427
2019-11-01_11-38-27.jpg

Does D7200 and D9200 have a different plug? Just looked at Kimber Axios cable for AH-D7200.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #578 of 4,427

Does D7200 and D9200 have a different plug? Just looked at Kimber Axios cable for AH-D7200.
It looks like correct plugs, but also looks a bit big, heavy, bulky & ugly. Also no strain relief(heatshrink) on those huge black connectors...

IMO, Good Cables need good insulation, not pretty, see-thru plastic.
Check out MIT cables or Wireworld cables.
Read there how much importance the insulation is, NOT the dumb braided litz style winding.

I have heard 1k-2k beautiful braided cables having a certain sound and not being as transparent because of this issue.

I have heard pure silver cables beaten by copper in some instances(not all) Because of this issue.
Pretty or big looking cables are a visual selling point only.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #579 of 4,427
I think that you'll find that the sound of a wire is most affected by the size of the cross section and bigger is always considered better
which is why most people are getting away from stock cables because they are made with tiny delicate wires.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #580 of 4,427
I think that you'll find that the sound of a wire is most affected by the size of the cross section and bigger is always considered better
which is why most people are getting away from stock cables because they are made with tiny delicate wires.
While it's probably true many aftermarket cables are better than stock, but I seen big cables not so good, (like stock Utopia cable), and many aftermarket IEM cables are very tiny and better than stock.

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #581 of 4,427
I believe it‘s a bit more complex than that.

There‘s the skin effect, for instance. This is why for instance a silver coated copper cable sounds different than solid silber or a solid copper cable. Also the question whether a Litz or a solid core is better has to consider this element - which of the two ultimately has more skin surface?

Then there‘s capacitance - if a cable‘s capacitance is dependent on frequency then it has an influence on frequency response.

Also, I believe isolation can have an effect on frequency response.

I believe cable design is indeed both an art and a science - and rather complex at that.

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #582 of 4,427

Actually, the opposite is true, especially where high current capacity is not an issue such as with headphone and line level interconnects as opposed to speaker cables. Also, less dielectric (insulation) will always sound better, all else being equal, especially if the dielectric is not the best material. Heavy PVC insulation, for instance, is a step in a very wrong direction, though, it pleases the thicker is better assumption. Litz serves many purposes well, though I'm not saying it is the best way to go.

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #583 of 4,427
It looks like correct plugs, but also looks a bit big, heavy, bulky & ugly. Also no strain relief(heatshrink) on those huge black connectors...

IMO, Good Cables need good insulation, not pretty, see-thru plastic.
Check out MIT cables or Wireworld cables.
Read there how much importance the insulation is, NOT the dumb braided litz style winding.

I have heard 1k-2k beautiful braided cables having a certain sound and not being as transparent because of this issue.

I have heard pure silver cables beaten by copper in some instances(not all) Because of this issue.
Pretty or big looking cables are a visual selling point only.

Looks like AH-D9200 use a different plug.

denon-ah-d9200-lieferumfang.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back