Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #302 of 4,391
I didn't find the 9200 to be neutral at all. It's definitely boosted down low and up high significantly compared to the Stellia

Yes, probably they are, but not as much as it has been with other closed headphones. I find the D9200 bass [near] reference level (taking the head transfer functions into account). It's not boomy, not muffled, not darkened, but has nice, soft, well formed bass lines. We don't want a straight line measurement in headphone bass but one slightly downwards tilting. Anyway, see the measurements a few pages back.

The D9200 treble spike is more like a spike, not really as strong as the HD800 used to be. I think this is the most dividing aspect of the D9200. I am somewhat bothered by it, others are more, yet others are less. Good to know about it and check it personally.

The Stellia's slight metallic tendency (compared to the D9200, D7200 etc) is actually bothering me more than the D9200 bass boost or treble spike, but this is highly personal, dependent on preferences, age, prior headphone experiences. It might be that there are optimal pairings that will alleviate this tendency. I would be fine with the Stellia, despite metallic tendency is a show-stopper for me (as it was with the Utopia and Z1R). But the price...

The fact that the D9200 is competing well for a lot of people at half the price of the Stellia is already telling a lot. For the difference one could get a HD800 and cover (almost) all corners. Just my 2 cents. I can fully understand people buying the Stellia, as I said it's a class act.

Mar 19, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #303 of 4,391
I didn't find the 9200 to be neutral at all. It's definitely boosted down low and up high significantly compared to the Stellia
I'm out then.

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #304 of 4,391
To me, the treble spike is quite extreme, which ruined my otherwise fantastic impression of these cans. So much, that I sold them.

In it's place, the Ether CX is auditioning on my head as I type this. Not burned in yet, but already sounds very nice too me. It remedies the shortcomings I felt the AFC had (lack of bass and 8k spike). Compared to the 9200, it is much more neutral, without being boring (slightly warmer than other MrSpeakers offerings). Maybe a touch less resolving, but there is a brightness - resolution trade-off that the 9200 takes too far. Other than being more neutral, there's the typical planar bass of the CX versus the dynamic driver bass of the 9200. The latter is a bit more mid bass focused, whereas the CX goes deeper.

Bottomline, I prefer the much cheaper CX. More neutral and better price/performance. I can understand that some say the 9200 is the better headphone and I might agree - except for that brightness which is a dealbreaker for me.

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #305 of 4,391
To me, the treble spike is quite extreme, which ruined my otherwise fantastic impression of these cans. So much, that I sold them.

In it's place, the Ether CX is auditioning on my head as I type this. Not burned in yet, but already sounds very nice too me. It remedies the shortcomings I felt the AFC had (lack of bass and 8k spike). Compared to the 9200, it is much more neutral, without being boring (slightly warmer than other MrSpeakers offerings). Maybe a touch less resolving, but there is a brightness - resolution trade-off that the 9200 takes too far. Other than being more neutral, there's the typical planar bass of the CX versus the dynamic driver bass of the 9200. The latter is a bit more mid bass focused, whereas the CX goes deeper.

Bottomline, I prefer the much cheaper CX. More neutral and better price/performance. I can understand that some say the 9200 is the better headphone and I might agree - except for that brightness which is a dealbreaker for me.
Thanks for your brief time with the 9200 and all of your input about it. Good luck in your headphone journey. Hope you enjoy your CX.

Mar 20, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #306 of 4,391
Thanks mate. And what a journey it is, at least at the closed-end side of this hobby. Seems like never-ending :wink:

The 2 top end headphones I still have to tick off my list are the Eikon/Atticus and the Stellia. And really afraid that I will like them, especially the latter (financial crisis on the horizon). Lol.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #307 of 4,391
Eikon/Atticus and the Stellia. And really afraid that I will like them, especially the latter (financial crisis on the horizon). Lol.
Yep. I sell stuff to pay off the credit card and with one or two purchases, I'm back where I started. It's insane.

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #308 of 4,391

The way you describe the CX it comes off as a better headphone. Definitely something to check out. Thanks for the tip!

The FR of the Massdrop Ether CX looks almost exactly like that of my modded D7200... except the D7200 doesn't have such a dip at 10 kHz and looks more even in the treble. Nevertheless, I will check the CX out.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #309 of 4,391
Bought the 9200 to join the TH900 gang.

20190326_184400.jpg
20190326_184410.jpg

Mar 26, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #311 of 4,391
And it destroys all of them :dt880smile: No but seriously, what's the point of so many red TH900s? Why not get at least one of each color variants? Emerald, Sapphire, Ruby...
Ha, TH900 still my fav. Two of the TH900s have upgrade cables and ear cups do alter the sound. The 9200 is a side upgrade.

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #312 of 4,391
And it destroys all of them :dt880smile: No but seriously, what's the point of so many red TH900s? Why not get at least one of each color variants? Emerald, Sapphire, Ruby...
Shhhhhh.... He's a bass head audiophile. :wink:

The 9200 will grow on him. But it will take time, those TH900 can be addictive as you can see. He is a different breed. :)

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #315 of 4,391
Does it really? How so? Was it discussed a few pages back already?
I consider it to be a mature and more controlled TH900 with a little better isolation. I use mine as a portable and I am very happy with its sound. No regrets and it will be a keeper. I even use it at home when I need a little isolation. First time I've been willing to forgo an open back at home. I don't feel I'm giving up much in doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back