Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #271 of 4,391
Tonality: IMO the 9200 is much more neutral, even though it can still be called V-shaped versus other high end headphones. But the TH-X00 to me is VERY V-shaped and actually too much. Some people call it "fun" headphone, but for me it's where the fun stops. Or when "fun" gets just funny.... But that's just me, I lean towards very neutral headphones.

Technically, they are not even in the same ballpark. The THX00 has a strong, but flabby bass that bleeds into mids. The 9200 also has a strong bass, but it's very clean. Less mid bass, more sub bass.

Mids in the 9200 are slightly recessed, but not as much as with the THX00.

Highs are technically much better in the 9200, also they are a bit too elevated for me around 9k, which results in a slightly "bright" character, which is my only criticism of the 9200. Highs in the THX00 are also elevated, but starting earlier in the frequency range. Also they are much less refined.

The 9200 is highly resolving, the THX00 is not.

IMHO, the THX00 is an anachronism. This headphone has been built in one form or another for ages, with only few tweaks to the drivers. Yes, Fostex's bio-cell drivers were groundbreaking decades ago and they are the predecessor of many drivers of today (like the 9200's), but technology has advanced and I do not find them competitive anymore.
Thank you very much for your input. I suppose the elevated highs could be trimmed somewhat with some foam or felt layer inserts.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #273 of 4,391
trying these out. I've had them on for 15 minutes and I've got a hot spot on the top of my head that's driving me crazy.
This only happened with this light as paper headphone ?

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #274 of 4,391
trying these out. I've had them on for 15 minutes and I've got a hot spot on the top of my head that's driving me crazy.
I got that too when they were new, and it was a nuisance, though maybe not to the degree you're describing. After a few days of "break in" or something, it stopped being a problem, though I can't say I explain why. In other words, it may be something that you'll find will get better over the course of some time.

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #276 of 4,391
I will say that the bass on the 9200 seems bigger and tighter than the stellia.

Also, my coworker next to me said she could hear what I was listening to with the Stellia, but not the 9200

after a few hours of listening (from a Dave), the 9200 is definitely much more v shaped than the Stellia. It's very noticeable on the treble on live tracks, where the crowd sounds very tinny due to the boosted highs

But that being said, I don't know which one I enjoy more. It might be the Denon. This low end is tight

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #277 of 4,391
I will say that the bass on the 9200 seems bigger and tighter than the stellia.

Also, my coworker next to me said she could hear what I was listening to with the Stellia, but not the 9200

after a few hours of listening (from a Dave), the 9200 is definitely much more v shaped than the Stellia. It's very noticeable on the treble on live tracks, where the crowd sounds very tinny due to the boosted highs

But that being said, I don't know which one I enjoy more. It might be the Denon. This low end is tight

I have put paper tissue inside the cups, it takes the edge off the trebles. Not sure if this is the best result, but experimenting with some other material might be worth it.

20190308_135759.jpg

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #278 of 4,391
I have put paper tissue inside the cups, it takes the edge off the trebles. Not sure if this is the best result, but experimenting with some other material might be worth it.

tenor-2.gif

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #279 of 4,391
Got one in my hands now! It is a keeper for sure. :) IMG_20190306_163321.jpg

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #280 of 4,391
This thing does so many things great! And everything else, very well. (sorry to sound a little like the POTUS). I really cannot imagine a better portable right now. And it's no slouch to any headphone below 3K. Seriously! This is not new toy syndrome too because I have been primarily listening to my open back home headphones recently and when I put these guys back on, I don't feel like I am missing out on much with the exception of the openness that comes out of the K1000 on the desktop system.

So happy with these. :)

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #281 of 4,391
This thing does so many things great! And everything else, very well. (sorry to sound a little like the POTUS). I really cannot imagine a better portable right now. And it's no slouch to any headphone below 3K. Seriously! This is not new toy syndrome too because I have been primarily listening to my open back home headphones recently and when I put these guys back on, I don't feel like I am missing out on much with the exception of the openness that comes out of the K1000 on the desktop system.

So happy with these. :)
How do you find the top? Is it bright as hell as some others are saying?

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #282 of 4,391
How do you find the top? Is it bright as hell as some others are saying?
I guess this is dependent to the person. In my case, I do not have any issues with the HD800 but many would say that it is a problem. Generally those with an issue will speak up more often than those that do not have a problem with whatever the issue is. And if I were to say anything about that, I would say that the brightness of the HD800 is noticeably more than anything on the D9200, and I'm still a fan of the HD800. And the bass on the D9200 is more than enough and it has that sub-bass ready to go when the song calls for it.

When I got home, I listened to some songs with vocals and it does that very well too. It's not an area that I focused on much before but since getting the K1000, my music selection has opened up like it never has before. And it's allowed me to see how well the D9200 does across different genres.

For some, a short listen with the D9200 may not 'blow them away' to say "Wow, these are amazing!" But you will get a sense from early listening that it will be able to do many things well, and some very very well. But for a closed HP, I don't see many out there getting this good in so many ways. Closed HPs usually can only do limited things well and usually it does not include things that open HPs are known for. This one can do some of those things.

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #283 of 4,391
Thanks for this info!

I have similar listening tastes/tolerances (am fine with my HD800) and am looking to get a high-end closed headphone. How does it compare to your TH900, other closed flagship-ish cans that you've heard?

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #284 of 4,391
Thanks for this info!

I have similar listening tastes/tolerances (am fine with my HD800) and am looking to get a high-end closed headphone. How does it compare to your TH900, other closed flagship-ish cans that you've heard?
To me, slightly less intense th900 treble , the 9200 has very good treble, but it has more mids than the th900. So the 9200 os less V Shaped sounding. The 9200 has very good bass but not constant over powering sub bass as the th900. I actually enjoy both headphones.

Mar 10, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #285 of 4,391
To me, slightly less intense th900 treble , the 9200 has very good treble, but it has more mids than the th900. So the 9200 os less V Shaped sounding. The 9200 has very good bass but not constant over powering sub bass as the th900. I actually enjoy both headphones.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back