Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #241 of 4,413
It's been some time I tested the TH900, so going off memory. Compared to the TH900, the 9200 is more neutral and less V-shaped (everything is relative). TH900 highs are even more prominent and sibilant. Soundstage is bigger on the 9200. But maybe I am the wrong person to ask: The TH900 IMO is the most un-neutral headphone I have heard. To my ears, the TH900 is a pure torture instrument. I literally ripped it off my head when I tested it.
Wow, I have seven th900s, and well I like it a lot. Guess my ears like it or I found a way to eq it with the correct source, amp, dac, eq. Then this headphone should have much less treble, but I found the 7200s treble to muffed. Also I love bass, sub bass rumble is what I need. Guess Im a audiophile basshead.

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #243 of 4,413
It's been some time I tested the TH900, so going off memory. Compared to the TH900, the 9200 is more neutral and less V-shaped (everything is relative). TH900 highs are even more prominent and sibilant.

Pretty accurate, I agree.

Soundstage is bigger on the 9200.

I think the stock TH900 sound stage is bigger (wider and somewhat taller) than on the D9200, but perhaps less deep (or similar). I had the impression the TH900 had bigger sound stage.

But maybe I am the wrong person to ask: The TH900 IMO is the most un-neutral headphone I have heard. To my ears, the TH900 is a pure torture instrument. I literally ripped it off my head when I tested it.

That's why I started modding the TH900... could not entirely fix its 500-600 Hz notch and 9 kHz ridge so it's still too colored, but now the sound stage is the biggest among all closed headphones, including the HD820, and many open headphones as well...
Bass impact is highest among all headphones I know... clean, physical, brutal, which makes it the best gaming and movies headphone I know (this side of the best e-stats and Smyth Realizer stuff). The modded D7200 comes close in bass impact and sound stage size, but the TH900 is slightly more sensitive and apparently slightly more dynamic.
The stock D7200 indeed sounds muffled compared to the TH900. However, with the right pads and cup damping mods it's finally linear and musical with better treble and resolution, which is no small feat considering it's closed.

I still sustain the D9200 is the best closed headphone at the moment overall (despite being on the bright side, since that's its only fault IMHO and not nearly as hot as the TH900). Just don't pair it with bright upstream. I agree the stock and modded TH900 sounds too colored next to it (in fact, also the HD820).

For those who consider the D9200 bright, I recommend the D7200 with the Stax 009 pads (check the D7200 thread), still almost twice cheaper than the D9200 and treble-sensitive people will certainly find it better. If you want even better, mod the 009 ear pads as described there.

Mar 1, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #244 of 4,413
I find the search for a top notch closed headphone really frustrating TBH. It's like an eternal quest. I owned or extensively tested these ones so far (in order of personal preference)

Focal Elegia: My favorite closed headphone to date. For closed back, large soundstage. Very neutral, but mids can be a bit metallic and the whole experience a bit lifeless sometimes.
MrSpeakers AFC: One of the best I have heard, but low end can be a bit shy.
Denon AH-D 9200: Had my money on this. Alas. Unexpectedly, very different from the 7200. Very bright. High resolution and neutral, except for the hot trebles.
Denon AH-D 7200: Also a good one. Slight tonal imbalance / highs roll off and the arrival of the 9200 made me sell it.
Beyerdynamic T5p Gen2: Pretty good headphone, quite neutral, except annoying mid bass bump (why I sold it).
Sennheiser HD820: Versus the huge expectations, this was a bit disappointing. Quite mid-bassy (which I hate).
Sony Z1R: Impressive build and bass, but far from neutral, veiled.
Audeze LCD XC: Mwah, does not excel at anything. You need strong neck muscles to keep up the weight.
Denon AH-D7000: Honorable mention, due to its age. This was cutting edge at the time, but nothing special today.
B&W P7: This might surprise, but especially for the price, not bad. Quite neutral. Much better than the P9.
Sony Z7: Little brother to Z1r, similar sound signature, but on a lower level. Bath-tub syndrome.
Fostex TH-X00: "Fun" headphone, flabby bass bleeds into mids and highs can be sibilant.
Fostex TH-900: Even funnier. Earth shattering bass, but the tonal balance, what were they thinking....

No closed headphone that I was completely sold on yet. So what now? Focal Stellia (waiting for price to drop)? Waiting for a MrSpeakers Ether 2 C if that ever comes out? Waiting for a closed Hifiman (lol)? M1060c?

Any other contenders i have missed?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #245 of 4,413
I find the search for a top notch closed headphone really frustrating TBH. It's like an eternal quest. I owned or extensively tested these ones so far (in order of personal preference)

Focal Elegia: My favorite closed headphone to date. For closed back, large soundstage. Very neutral, but mids can be a bit metallic and the whole experience a bit lifeless sometimes.
MrSpeakers AFO: One of the best I have heard, but low end can be a bit shy.
Denon AH-D 9200: Had my money on this. Alas. Unexpectedly, very different from the 7200. Very bright. High resolution and neutral, except for the hot trebles.
Denon AH-D 7200: Also a good one. Slight tonal imbalance / highs roll off and the arrival of the 9200 made me sell it.
Beyerdynamic T5p Gen2: Pretty good headphone, quite neutral, except annoying mid bass bump (why I sold it).
Sennheiser HD820: Versus the huge expectations, this was a bit disappointing. Quite mid-bassy (which I hate).
Audeze LCD XC: Mwah, does not excel at anything. You need strong neck muscles to keep up the weight.
Denon AH-D7000: Honorable mention, due to its age. This was cutting edge at the time, but nothing special today.
B&W P7: This might surprise, but especially for the price, not bad. Quite neutral. Much better than the P9.
Sony Z7: Little brother to Z1r, similar sound signature, but on a lower level. Bath-tub syndrome.
Fostex TH-X00: "Fun" headphone, flabby bass bleeds into mids and highs can be sibilant.
Fostex TH-900: Even funnier. Earth shattering bass, but the tonal balance, what were they thinking....

No closed headphone that I was completely sold on yet. So what now? Focal Stellia (waiting for price to drop)? Waiting for a MrSpeakers Ether 2 C if that ever comes out? Waiting for a closed Hifiman (lol)? M1060c?

TH900 old snd still Da Bestus.

Mar 1, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #246 of 4,413

Same here, I have given up to find a closed headphone that can get even close to what I hear from the best e-stats, I am content if they just approximate them with more bass/sub-bass impact.
I can call myself fortunate since I could live with the D9200 treble with my sources & amps, and definitely enjoy both the modded D7200 for office and TH900 for movies. It's sad they need mods to reach there...
I could also find a good matching system for the HD820, but too expensive and not better IMHO than the above.

The short description of each headphone is pretty close to my perception as well.

As for the future, the design used by Fostex, Denon, Sony (R10), Massdrop etc is IMHO the best for closed headphones. I expect more exigent tuning of drivers + cups + damping in the future.
I would be interested what a 50-90 mm carbon or graphene reinforced paper/pulp/biocellulose cone driver could do in a properly matched enclosure (as long as it's not bigger than the Audeze XC and HD820).

BTW did you know what the world's largest headphones are?
(Dunlavy SC-VI speakers :) and they are closed design :D and they can reproduce a square wave...)

Mar 1, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #248 of 4,413

I still believe that Mr. Speaker's Alpha Prime is their best headphone to date. I did an A/B comparison with the Ether Flow Closed and much preferred the Alpha Prime. If you can get your hands on one then it's definitely worth a try.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #249 of 4,413

Maybe try Pioneer SE-MONITOR5, ZMF Eikon and Atticus, and the MrSpeakers Ether CX (massdrop ver.) that just got shipped? Would like to hear your thoughts on those.

Also, did you mean the MrSpeakers AFC? I read the AFO is warm and bassy. Been looking into a warm headphone myself, and the AFO and LCD2C were on my list to try. Possibly the Aeolus too.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #250 of 4,413
Maybe try Pioneer SE-MONITOR5, ZMF Eikon and Atticus, and the MrSpeakers Ether CX (massdrop ver.) that just got shipped? Would like to hear your thoughts on those.

Also, did you mean the MrSpeakers AFC? I read the AFO is warm and bassy. Been looking into a warm headphone myself, and the AFO and LCD2C were on my list to try. Possibly the Aeolus too.

Yes, you are right, I meant the AFC, have corrected that by now, thanks.

I would love for the Ether CX to reappear at Massdrop, not sure what the chances are.

Unfortunately, I do not have the chance to listen to ZMF headphones where I am. And TBH, I was always turned off by the unrefined looks of ZMF headphones. Which should not matter of course....

Regarding your comments about AFO vs LCD 2C: I have never heard the AFO, but did own the LCD 2C. I really liked that headphone, especially for the price. It was very complementary to my Clear. Less tonally correct and less resolving but warmer and more relaxed. Sometimes you just want to lean back and chill, and for that, it is perfect. Bass is great, reaches very deep and has slam. The reason I parted with it is that I found that the LCD X does everything that the 2C does, but better (obviously at a higher price tag).

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #251 of 4,413
Yes, you are right, I meant the AFC, have corrected that by now, thanks.

I would love for the Ether CX to reappear at Massdrop, not sure what the chances are.

Unfortunately, I do not have the chance to listen to ZMF headphones where I am. And TBH, I was always turned off by the unrefined looks of ZMF headphones. Which should not matter of course....

Regarding your comments about AFO vs LCD 2C: I have never heard the AFO, but did own the LCD 2C. I really liked that headphone, especially for the price. It was very complementary to my Clear. Less tonally correct and less resolving but warmer and more relaxed. Sometimes you just want to lean back and chill, and for that, it is perfect. Bass is great, reaches very deep and has slam. The reason I parted with it is that I found that the LCD X does everything that the 2C does, but better (obviously at a higher price tag).

According to the thread, Dan plans to have the Ether CX available after the shipment.

I would love to try the LCD-X, but I'm the odd one with ears large enough to touch the fazors to the point that it hurts. The weight doesn't even bother me either... It's the only reason I'm considering the LCD2C, because of the lack of fazors.

Also, is the Denon AH-D9200 treble peak in the upper or lower treble region? I have little tolerance for the latter.

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #252 of 4,413
Also, is the Denon AH-D9200 treble peak in the upper or lower treble region? I have little tolerance for the latter.

I get the most pleasing results when EQ'ing 1 or 2 db down all the way through the higher frequencies, starting at 7k.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #253 of 4,413

Measurements show the former, also subjectively I perceived it hotter in the former (upper) region when compared to the TH900, i.e. less disturbing.
The CSD and spectrogram are missing there, and headphone measurements in the treble region cannot be fully trusted, so I can't tell if and how big a ridge there is, but certainly there is treble excess in that region.

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #254 of 4,413

MrSpeakers AFC: One of the best I have heard, but low end can be a bit shy.

Great summary, thanks!

I'm also on the never ending search for that '(never) end game closed portable'. Personally, nothing beats the form factor, comfort and sleekness of the ED8, which is my current go to portable (at least until I get some head time on the TH900. But since it doesn't stay locked on my head very well, it is limited for on the go).

Is the D9200 your current go to for portable use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back