Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #136 of 4,398
Nov 19, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #137 of 4,398
So I've just bought another D7200, but now the 9200 looks really interesting. I had a chance to do a side by side with my 7200 and a demo 5200 and found the 7200 to just have more punch in the bass and better refinement up top. Otherwise they both clearly sounded similar. I wonder if this small jump in quality is true from the 7200 to the 9200? The 9200 is almost 3 times the price of 7200, whereas the 7200 is maybe 20% more expensive than the 5200. I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this!

Also, the D7200 came with a very disappointing box. Does the 9200 come in a more premium package?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #138 of 4,398
For German speakers:

There is a comparison slide inside this video, it was very informative.
Screenshot from 2018-11-19 14-48-39.png

So, in essence the D9200 driver seems to be "almost" the same as the D7200 driver - the membrane seems to be similar, eventually the magnetic circuit might be different, I don't know what they mean by a new iteration. The cups are certainly different, the cables too, with the D9200 one gets two cables, and it's made in Japan.

Even if they made a minor tweak on the driver, it might affect the sound just in the right direction and amount to make it worth upgrading. Let's see, but certainly there is less difference between the D9200 and D7200 than between the Fostex TH900 and TH610 (and Massdrop iterations using the TH610 drivers). To start with, I am not sure the Bamboo cups "sound" better than walnut. Maybe it's the cables that make most of the difference. Will see soon, hopefully.

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #139 of 4,398
So I've just bought another D7200, but now the 9200 looks really interesting. I had a chance to do a side by side with my 7200 and a demo 5200 and found the 7200 to just have more punch in the bass and better refinement up top. Otherwise they both clearly sounded similar. I wonder if this small jump in quality is true from the 7200 to the 9200? The 9200 is almost 3 times the price of 7200, whereas the 7200 is maybe 20% more expensive than the 5200. I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this!

Also, the D7200 came with a very disappointing box. Does the 9200 come in a more premium package?

I haven't heard the D7200, but as has been discussed earlier in this thread, diminishing returns are very strong at this price range, and I wouldn't be surprised if the quality jump isn't huge.

That said, earlier in this thread I linked to a Dutch review which they do compare the two directly and say the D9200 is a clear winner. They also go into some of the detail about the technical differences between the two, such as the drivers and cups. Denon clearly considers Bamboo to be the superior acoustic housing for this driver, which makes sense to me, even if a lot of people here thing for some reason it's less premium that the other woods. I think it's pretty obvious the company would choose the best material for it's most expensive headphones.

"In the AH-D9200 an even finer structure is used for the paper driver. Yoshi Fukushima showed the differences in texture and indeed the driver of the 7200 shows a coarser pattern than the driver in the 9200. In the stroboscopic analysis, we also see the difference between material and the Free Edge suspension (similar to a speaker cone and the Mylar driver used in many headphones), the result, response and speed are visibly greater."

https://www.alpha-audio.nl/review/review-denon-ah-d9200-over-ear-hoofdtelefoon/2/

The only thing I can say is that after using them for nearly a month is that they are very much competitive with other high end headphones. I will happily take these over the Elegia, Utopia, and HD820, HD800S. A lot of that is just my sound signature preference, but I also think they resolve better than just about everything else except maybe the Utopia, at least out of my gear.

Dont care about packaging - in fact, I quite dislike unecessarily bulky boxes - but the D9200 doesn't come in a more premium package, sorry. There is a "Thank you" tag along with your unit's serial number which feels very personal and reminds you it's handmade.

I'll try to see if I can get my hands on a D7200 to compare myself ...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #140 of 4,398
That said, earlier in this thread I linked to a Dutch review which they do compare the two directly and say the D9200 is a clear winner. They also go into some of the detail about the technical differences between the two, such as the drivers and cups. Denon clearly considers Bamboo to be the superior acoustic housing for this driver, which makes sense to me, even if a lot of people here thing for some reason it's less premium that the other woods.

"In the AH-D9200 an even finer structure is used for the paper driver. Yoshi Fukushima showed the differences in texture and indeed the driver of the 7200 shows a coarser pattern than the driver in the 9200."

https://www.alpha-audio.nl/review/review-denon-ah-d9200-over-ear-hoofdtelefoon/2/

From the video I can tell the D9200 pads are similar to the D5200 pads, slightly thinner and softer than the D7200 pads, which is good. Bamboo is lighter, which is good again, as I preferred the sound of lighter wood for the TH900 cups replacements (the best being the original Urushi cups IMHO). Also, while only the magnetic circuit was more powerful with the TH900 driver vs the TH600 driver, the sound difference was quite obvious to me. It's funny the price difference between the TH900 and TH610 is very similar to that of between the D9200 and D7200, while IMHO the D7200 is better than the TH610/TH-X00. So the D9200 should be very good then :).

Bigger sound stage, more neutral measurements, better bass extension and less distortion are improvements that I could also make on the D7200 myself. Of course the stock D9200 might bring those and even more - to be seen. I am pleased Denon fine-tuned the D7200 design and tried to maximize the achievable sound quality.

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #141 of 4,398
Finally I could have a short listen to the new (out of the box) D9200, from a HDV820 and playing jazz/acoustic/pop from Tidal.

The housing looks _exactly_ like the D7200 - bad news for those who hoped for better head bands. Pads seem to be the same as on the D7200, too. The long cable seemed to be identical from the outside, too, but perhaps inside it's different.

Compared to the stock D7200, the stock D9200 sounds much better - it is what the D7200 should have been. More open, better bass, more treble, even more musical, no audible honkiness or ringing or FR issues (except perhaps in the treble, more about that later).

Compared to the D9200, my D7200 + my modified D7200 pads has a bit more bass impact, otherwise they sound very much alike. Perhaps I prefer the modded D7200 a little bit.

I tried my modded D7200 pads on the D9200 and sounded bigger, yet I am not sure if the change was so much worth than with the D7200, which got significantly better. Also, since the D9200 has more treble than the D7200 (sounds similar like the Fostex TH900 in this respect, slightly better though), when I put on the modded pads, treble just crossed the threshold of being too prominent for my taste (others might actually like it that way).

I have also tried the D5200 pads on both the D7200 and D9200. It makes more change on the D9200, changing it to a more fun signature. I suggest D9200 owners try out the D5200 pads, or more shallow after-market pads from ebay - you might like the end result very much.

A short summary (based on very short listening):
- Drivers and cups appearing to make the main difference, the stock D9200 is clearly better than the stock D7200 IMHO, but watch out if the treble is fine for you (pair it well, and burn-in might help).
- Funny that it sounded even better from my Sony ZX2 DAP than from the Senn HDV820. It was a very nice match. Looks like there is no problem driving it from portable sources.
- Price should not be more than 1200 euros. If the 1600 euros price is too big for you and you already have the D7200, I advise trying the D7200 pads mod described in the D7200 thread; that gets very (1-2%) close to the D9200, with some differences remaining (perhaps a bit more clarity on the D9200 and more treble).
- I suggest trying more pads on the D9200: it reacts much better to new pads than the D7200, it will sound different but without major issues (unlike the D7200, which tolerated only a few pads).

I could not measure the D9200, but based on comparison with my modded D7200 which I know very well and measures near-linear, I would say the D9200 should measure even better.

The Denon D9200 seems to be the first closed headphone ever that in my books earns the "reference" accolade even in stock form.

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #142 of 4,398
Finally I could have a short listen to the new (out of the box) D9200, from a HDV820 and playing jazz/acoustic/pop from Tidal.

The housing looks _exactly_ like the D7200 - bad news for those who hoped for better head bands. Pads seem to be the same as on the D7200, too. The long cable seemed to be identical from the outside, too, but perhaps inside it's different.

Compared to the stock D7200, the stock D9200 sounds much better - it is what the D7200 should have been. More open, better bass, more treble, even more musical, no audible honkiness or ringing or FR issues (except perhaps in the treble, more about that later).

Compared to the D9200, my D7200 + my modified D7200 pads has a bit more bass impact, otherwise they sound very much alike. Perhaps I prefer the modded D7200 a little bit.

I tried my modded D7200 pads on the D9200 and sounded bigger, yet I am not sure if the change was so much worth than with the D7200, which got significantly better. Also, since the D9200 has more treble than the D7200 (sounds similar like the Fostex TH900 in this respect, slightly better though), when I put on the modded pads, treble just crossed the threshold of being too prominent for my taste (others might actually like it that way).

I have also tried the D5200 pads on both the D7200 and D9200. It makes more change on the D9200, changing it to a more fun signature. I suggest D9200 owners try out the D5200 pads, or more shallow after-market pads from ebay - you might like the end result very much.

- Drivers and cups appearing to make the main difference, the stock D9200 is clearly better than the stock D7200 IMHO, but watch out if the treble is fine for you (pair it well, and burn-in might help).
- Funny that it sounded even better from my Sony ZX2 DAP than from the Senn HDV820. It was a very nice match. Looks like there is no problem driving it from portable sources.
- Price should not be more than 1200 euros. If the 1600 euros price is too big for you and you already have the D7200, I advise trying the D7200 pads mod described in the D7200 thread; that gets very (1-2%) close to the D9200, with some differences remaining (perhaps a bit more clarity on the D9200 and more treble).
- I suggest trying more pads on the D9200: it reacts much better to new pads than the D7200, it will sound different but without major issues (unlike the D7200, which tolerated only a few pads).

I could not measure the D9200, but based on comparison with my modded D7200 which I know very well and measures near-linear, I would say the D9200 should measure even better.

The Denon D9200 seems to be the first closed headphone ever that in my books earns the "reference" accolade even in stock form.
Thanks a lot for this review !!!!
I wish you made a short video showing us the best way to remove the pads on the 7200...

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #143 of 4,398

Just came across this thread.

Do you have any more detailed comparisons with the TH-900? Since the TH-909 has been getting fairly mixed reviews, this headphone has caught my interest. I've never heard a Denon headphone before though.

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #144 of 4,398

I'm glad to hear other impressions confirming my own! My only comment on the price is that I do think it's justified relative to other closed backs on the market - especially when you consider the additional manual labor hours in Japan as opposed to demon's other factories. That manual aspect will contribute to the consistency of the sound, even if the end result isn't that much better than a modded D7200. Besides, you could argue the D7200 is a bargain given current prices...

Good news, to my ears the treble does tame with burn in - the spike seems to even out a bit. Wish I had the measurement gear - I plan to, soon - but that one spike definitely seems less harsh than it was originally. Don't think it's just a mental thing as I've been listening to much warmer sounding cans and switching back to he Denon isn't as jarring as it was before. I also hear more resolution in things like cymbals than I did before - less splashy. I can distinctly hear individual bounces more clearly than I did out of the box with tracks I'm very familiar with. Could even just be the pads getting softer with use, but whatever it is, these sound even better than they did out of the box.

These are still my favorite closed backs at the moment. Still need to try the ZMFs and some of the planar closed, but to my ears these resolve better than some TOTL open backs. The one competitor I've actually been surprised with is Sony's Z7M2. Not had enough time to burn them in, but it has quite a pleasant FR that's rather different from the Denons. Right now not as resolving, but I'll give them some time.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #146 of 4,398
Do you have any more detailed comparisons with the TH-900? Since the TH-909 has been getting fairly mixed reviews, this headphone has caught my interest. I've never heard a Denon headphone before though.

The TH900 is very colored in comparison, but has slightly bigger bass slam and slightly more treble spike, perhaps bigger stage as well. However, stage, bass slam etc are different on the D9200 with various pads (and so are with the TH900), so this can be personalized. I would say the TH900 likes EDM and pop more, the D9200 sounds good with every genre.

How's the isolation/bleed? Could I use these at work with people sitting 4 feet to my right and left?

Not worse than other headphones and I've been using the TH900, TX00, D7200 and other closed cans in an open office without any comments received. My neighbors have their own headphones anyway :).

I have also tried the Senn HD820, and made a quite positive impression, especially with the huge sound stage, clear and dynamic sound. If it wasn't for its honky mid-bass, and relative lack of openness since bass reflections were masking the mids, I'd say it plays better in the closed/fun league than all other headphones, including the D9200. But it feels unfinished, and the D9200 is here, well done and near-perfect.

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #147 of 4,398
I think if your office isn't completely quiet and you don't listen too loud, it should be fine. They do well at low volumes too.

They do leak more than some closed backs, but it's not too bad. I guess it depends on your standards though. My girlfriend doesn't wake up when I'm listening with them late at night a few feet away.

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #149 of 4,398
The TH900 is very colored in comparison, but has slightly bigger bass slam and slightly more treble spike, perhaps bigger stage as well. However, stage, bass slam etc are different on the D9200 with various pads (and so are with the TH900), so this can be personalized. I would say the TH900 likes EDM and pop more, the D9200 sounds good with every genre.

Not worse than other headphones and I've been using the TH900, TX00, D7200 and other closed cans in an open office without any comments received. My neighbors have their own headphones anyway :).

I have also tried the Senn HD820, and made a quite positive impression, especially with the huge sound stage, clear and dynamic sound. If it wasn't for its honky mid-bass, and relative lack of openness since bass reflections were masking the mids, I'd say it plays better in the closed/fun league than all other headphones, including the D9200. But it feels unfinished, and the D9200 is here, well done and near-perfect.

Pretty much echo my thoughts about the HD820. It's impressive on a technical level and throws out sound further than any closed back I've tried, but the low mids are weird and they sound kind of distant as a result. I actually prefer the HD820 to their open sibling because the bass presence means they're much more pleasant for modern music, but the D9200 just feels impeccably tuned in a way that I can't help but admire. They're on a similar plane in terms of overall resolution to my ear, but I just prefer the tuning on the Denons.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #150 of 4,398

TH900 does well with : Rock, Metal, Synths, Indie music aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back