Denon AH-D7000
Sep 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #6,766 of 7,464
And I say enjoy the D7000 stock before jumping into mods you may not even want. That and almost everyone that does these mods don't ever compare directly with a stock Denon and instead are going off memory and expectation bias. No one is gonna say that all these extra hundreds of dollars spent on modifying a can aren't worth it. They are expecting and improvement.

I'm more inclined to believe those who have compared directly, and those who say the mods kill off some of the Denon magic.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #6,767 of 7,464
Yeah, the stock pads have a slight angle but they're not the angle pads from Lawton. You can see the difference on his website.

Anyway, the TH900 for $1500 vs a D7000 for around $750 before mods. Pads $100 and the mods $100 and you're done. Just a wee bit more than a couple hundred but I get the point.
biggrin.gif
Same discussion I've had in my mind a number of times.

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #6,768 of 7,464
Yeah, the stock pads have a slight angle but they're not the angle pads from Lawton. You can see the difference on his website.

Anyway, the TH900 for $1500 vs a D7000 for around $750 before mods. Pads $100 and the mods $100 and you're done. Just a wee bit more than a couple hundred but I get the point.
biggrin.gif

I never heard LA-D7000, you are probably the expert on this, how that sound compare to stock D7000 ? is it really worth extra $200 + shipping ?

And I never really liked the angled pads, LCD/Maddog pads are really annoying giving me the frontal clamp and can get really warm/hot.

I prefer HD800 non angled pads with angled driver.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #6,769 of 7,464

biggrin.gif

I never heard LA-D7000, you are probably the expert on this, how that sound compare to stock D7000 ? is it really worth extra $200 + shipping ?

And I never really liked the angled pads, LCD/Maddog pads are really annoying giving me the frontal clamp and can get really warm/hot.

I prefer HD800 non angled pads with angled driver.

So I'm not sure I have the nomenclature right so apologize - if it has the damping mods and the angle pads I "think" it's an MD-7000, if it has aftermarket wood cups and cable change it's an LA-7000 - please correct my assumptions!

That said, the before and after from stock D7000 to MD7000 was rather a large change to me.  It tightened up the bass, hit harder and just overall sounded better.  I'm not a golden ears guy who can use all the fancy words to describe sound so I won't even try.  It just was a large enough improvement to justify the $200 to me.

The angle pads on these are not annoying in the manner you describe.  No pinch-in at the front of the ears, and since they come stock with angle pads they are intended for this. 

Honestly, my MD7000 was every bit as good as the TH600 (or should I say it the other way around).  That said, if I was faced with what jibzilla described ($800 vs 950) I'd go TH600 just because of the $ saved.  The TH600 was a clone of my MD7000 so it would be a win-win situation. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #6,770 of 7,464
So I'm not sure I have the nomenclature right so apologize - if it has the damping mods and the angle pads I "think" it's an MD-7000, if it has aftermarket wood cups and cable change it's an LA-7000 - please correct my assumptions!

That said, the before and after from stock D7000 to MD7000 was rather a large change to me.  It tightened up the bass, hit harder and just overall sounded better.  I'm not a golden ears guy who can use all the fancy words to describe sound so I won't even try.  It just was a large enough improvement to justify the $200 to me.

The angle pads on these are not annoying in the manner you describe.  No pinch-in at the front of the ears, and since they come stock with angle pads they are intended for this. 

Honestly, my MD7000 was every bit as good as the TH600 (or should I say it the other way around).  That said, if I was faced with what jibzilla described ($800 vs 950) I'd go TH600 just because of the $ saved.  The TH600 was a clone of my MD7000 so it would be a win-win situation. 

That's a great explanation, thanks ! Maybe I will get TH600 for my collection, :)

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #6,771 of 7,464
Now that ill soon have the D7000 i wanna make sure im doing stuff right. So another question. I currently listen to most of my music (and play games) on my pc. I have Asus Phoebus soundcard wich has a built in headphone amp. I currently use it to power my 250 Ohm Dt 990 and its performing great with Dolby Home Theatre. Now i was wondering if that would be enough to power the D7000 or would you guys advice an external amp or dac to refine the sound. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #6,772 of 7,464
  Now that ill soon have the D7000 i wanna make sure im doing stuff right. So another question. I currently listen to most of my music (and play games) on my pc. I have Asus Phoebus soundcard wich has a built in headphone amp. I currently use it to power my 250 Ohm Dt 990 and its performing great with Dolby Home Theatre. Now i was wondering if that would be enough to power the D7000 or would you guys advice an external amp or dac to refine the sound. 

Power wise you should be absolutely gravy. Sound quality wise, it is totally up to the individual. Personally, I find amps with finesse to sound the best. A good budget amplifier would a Matrix M-Stage,Schiit Asgard, or JDS O2... past that point the sky is the limit...

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #6,773 of 7,464
 It tightened up the bass, hit harder and just overall sounded better.  I'm not a golden ears guy who can use all the fancy words to describe sound 

these are no ******** words that i buy.....good enuf for me.
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #6,774 of 7,464
I like my angle pads solely becuase they are more comfortable. The stock pads are excellent with the exception that the front edges are convex which concentrates the pressure on a smaller area - I'm pretty sensitive to pressure in that area. The angle pads have a basically flat profile around the whole circumference. I like em' lots.

Soundwise ... meh, I'm happy with either stock or angle. I don't get the shrill high thing that many complain about.

Grats on the D7ks. Love em to bits.

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #6,775 of 7,464
Pudu, how much difference does the angle pads change the sound vs stock?

Bear in mind, I wouldn't want the sound to change much.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #6,776 of 7,464
Pudu, how much difference does the angle pads change the sound vs stock?

Bear in mind, I wouldn't want the sound to change much.

Curious about that aswell, cause i like the sound of them being really comfortable. 

Also, i was thinking of maybe getting one of those Lawton Audio lvl 1 DIY kits in the future but has anyone had any experience with putting the padding into the cups or would you guys advice against that yourself.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #6,777 of 7,464

Curious about that aswell, cause i like the sound of them being really comfortable. 

Also, i was thinking of maybe getting one of those Lawton Audio lvl 1 DIY kits in the future but has anyone had any experience with putting the padding into the cups or would you guys advice against that yourself.

Though I had Mark do my D7000, I've had my D2000 apart to check out the difficulty level and it is really pretty simple once you get the pads off (or better yet the rings that snap into place off holding the pads).  That's the only tricky part!  Lawton's website shows how to do it - you'll have the tendency to not twist hard enough, thinking you'll be messing it up.   After that it's really pretty simple, and reinstalling the Alpha pads is what I did at that point.  Good to check all the small screw/nut combo tightness while you have it apart as these models are known for loosening over time.  I'd take on a DIY damping kit again if I needed to. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #6,778 of 7,464
I didn't really notice a difference (at all) ... but I tend to be far less critical than a lot of folks around here.

If you like, I'll dig out my original pads over the weekend and do a little testing.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #6,779 of 7,464

It's not too hard. You can save a little money and just buy some Dynamat. You have to cut it out, but that doesn't take long.

Am I correct in saying Mark doesn't put dynamat on the D7000 baffle anymore? (The bit with all the holes). If so, a Lawton level 1 mod should be pretty easy to do yourself.

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #6,780 of 7,464
Thanks for all the advice guys you have been amazingly helpful. I picked it up yesterday and i have to say i am loving the full bodied sound these headphones produce. The seller was a real fanatic and had a crazy set up to test them on so i got to hear how good they CAN sound.

*not sure this still belongs here, please tell me if i need to start a thread somewhere else*

Problem is now im spoiled and i wanna get more out of it. Just listening to these through the headphone amp on my computer(Asus Phoebus) or my low end receiver ( Denon avr-x1000) is just not the same. The seller said that getting a Amity headphone amp would be really good for these, but advised me to maybe get a combined dac/amp to get started (Burson/CEC). These are all quite out of my price range and was wondering if there are any good low budget dac/amp combinations that would work well for these. Greed advised these: Matrix M-Stage,Schiit Asgard, or JDS O2, but those are just amps as far as i can tell. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back