Denon AH-D7000
Dec 29, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #5,836 of 7,464
Quote:

I think the best approach is to buy the HD800s before selling the D7000s. It's really hard to know how much you're going to like a headphone until you have some serious time to spend with it. If the HD800s are all you feel the need, then you can sell the D7000s without any buyer's remorse.

I agree with others that it's very handy to have both an open and closed (or semi-closed) headphone at your disposal. Sometimes you don't want to disturb others, or want some isolation (however less than ideal the D7000s' isolation might be).

Here are some points about my own experience with the HD800s and D7000s:

1. I find that the HD800s on a good recording are the best sounding of all my headphones, clear and natural. But on a few recordings, I find them unlistenable, with buzzsaw-like treble. I know some people find the D7000s' treble a tad harsh, but it doesn't bother me. So far the HD800s are more troublesome in that regard, although like I said, just on a few recordings. As a point of comparison, my SRH940s are brighter and harsher than both on far more recordings, and I have to EQ down the treble on those just to generally listen to them.
  2. The bass on the HD800s is beautiful but not strong. So if I feel like thumping along to rap or electronic or some deep John Bonham drums, the D7000s are infinitely better. The D7000s are more fun.
  3. The D7000s are more euphonic in the midrange. There's a rounded, warm sweetness that I have difficulty describing but I find addictive. In contrast, the HD800s sound effortless and detailed, but don't have that sweetness.
  4. The HD800s have a more open sound and better soundstage. Not a surprise, I'm sure!
  5. The HD800s are incredibly comfortable to wear. The D7000s are above average for comfort, but the HD800s are considerably better. The cups are huge, the clamping force is low, and the weight is distributed so nicely around the ear. The D7000s in contrast are a little uneven in how they distribute the weight, pressing a bit more in front of my ear.

Thanks for the response and advice Dan. I probably will buy the 800's and live with them both for a while.

FWIW, I don't consider the D7000's "closed." They may appear to be closed, but they aren't.

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #5,837 of 7,464
Quote:
I owned the D7000 and sold them to fund the purchase of an LCD-2v1. Never really like the LCD-2v1, sold it and bought another D7000. I will not part with them a second time..

Vive le D7000!
beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #5,839 of 7,464
I owned the D7000 and sold them to fund the purchase of an LCD-2v1. Never really like the LCD-2v1, sold it and bought another D7000. I will not part with them a second time..

I went through the same thing, I also own a pair of AH-D7100's which I really like but I'm not parting with my D7K's.

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #5,840 of 7,464
Thanks for the response and advice Dan. I probably will buy the 800's and live with them both for a while.

No problem, I'm curious to hear what you think!

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #5,841 of 7,464
Quote:
Im almost afraid to ask this because I dont want to go down this road, but I had a chance to hear a new pair of HD 800's at the last Seattle meet plugged into my receiver and they blew me away.
For the regulars here, you know that i have loved my D7000's since I got them a year ago and the Lawton Audio mods really had me thinking the Denons would be my last pair of headphones.
Well, the Sennheisers had a warmth I don't recall them having the last time I auditioned them, with tight musical bass that went deep, and treble that was sparkly but without any hint of sibilance. Compared directly to my Denons, they sounded similar in the bass and treble, but seemed more detailed and smoother sounding.
So, I'm debating selling my D7000's and purchasing the HD 800's with the proceeds. Has anyone else compared the two or own both? Your thoughts/comments would be much appreciated. Encourage me or talk me out of it...
biggrin.gif

My thoughts in favor of HD 800:
More comfortable to wear (they feel lovely)
Better sound quality (really, to my ears they are wonderful where the D7000's have shortcomings that limit my enjoyment somewhat)
My thoughts against the HD 800:
More expensive (I figure $400 or $500 out of pocket after selling my Denons)
Harder to drive (definitely a home only headphone)
Not as pretty to display (the Denons are beautiful)
Not rare (Denons are discontinued - if I sell them theres no going back if I feel remorse)
I suppose it boils down to one question - is it just about the sound quality?

Up to you but I did not care for the HD800.  I heard them on a Dark Star so it was properly amplified.

Anyways, I say stick with the D7000.  When I want more mid range I just throw on my HD600.  90% of the performance of the HD800 at 20% of the cost.  :)

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #5,842 of 7,464
Quote:

Up to you but I did not care for the HD800.  I heard them on a Dark Star so it was properly amplified.

Anyways, I say stick with the D7000.  When I want more mid range I just throw on my HD600.  90% of the performance of the HD800 at 20% of the cost.  :)

90% of the HD 800? 

No, not really. However, the HD 600 has a more enjoyable sound. Warmer and more natural.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #5,843 of 7,464
Quote:

90% of the HD 800? 

No, not really. However, the HD 600 has a more enjoyable sound. Warmer and more natural.

well both my comment and yours is opinion so we can agree to disagree.  I find the HD800 boring and overpriced. :)

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #5,844 of 7,464
Quote:

90% of the HD 800? 

I second that. The HD800 is far superior in terms of technicalities, but the sound isn't as "enjoyable."

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #5,845 of 7,464
Anyone tried D7000 on balanced mode...? Any significant improvement? 
ph34r.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #5,847 of 7,464
first time i heard the hd 800, they sounded really dull and boring, and while they had detail and soundstage, i wasn't very impressed. i listened to them and thought to myself, like "wow, thats it?"

but i decided to buy a WA2 and decided to give the HD 800 a second chance, glad i did. 
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #5,849 of 7,464
It's funny how prices for these cans have skyrocketed since they've been discontinued, but being discontinued in the first place is what enabled me (or motivated me) to get them.

If y'all remember, once news broke that Denon would no longer make these cans, many dealers reduced prices for their remaining inventory. I got mine new for $550 shipped, which couldn't even get you a used pair now.

I absolutely love these cans, and they look beautiful (for a headphone). Even though my ears are shying away from heavy bass and leaning more toward neutral, they still get a lot of head time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back