Denon AH-D7000
Dec 19, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #5,808 of 7,457
Quote:
Quote:

with getting a review sample or buying one with my own money?

Either, but moreso the buying with your own money.

LOL, not even to audition?  BTW, did you hear Jude's D7100 at the L.A. meet?  I just ask because I first heard it there.  But the pair that I'm listening to now sounds different (IMO better).  Anyway, not to start anything about anything.  Just saying that units appear to vary in signature with this model.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #5,809 of 7,457
Quote:

LOL, not even to audition?  BTW, did you hear Jude's D7100 at the L.A. meet?  I just ask because I first heard it there.  But the pair that I'm listening to now sounds different (IMO better).  Anyway, not to start anything about anything.  Just saying that units appear to vary in signature with this model.

Interesting, I heard that pair and then another pair later on that a friend purchased. That pair that was purchased sounded identical and was promptly returned.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #5,810 of 7,457
Quote:
Interesting, I heard that pair and then another pair later on that a friend purchased. That pair that was purchased sounded identical and was promptly returned.

Interesting for me as well.  From what I've heard, it seems that there are widely varying opinions of this unit - and that not all of those variances can be attributed to personal signature preferences.

I must admit, I was not thrilled about Jude's pair.  But when I got these in, I found them to sound very different.  After about 160 hours of burn-in (120 hours of which was continuous pink noise @ -15dB in a closet), they've changed even more.  I'm not foolish enough to say that acclimation is not a factor, but only about 12~16 out of those 160 hours has been on-ear time.

They are now fairly smooth in the mids, with much better detail and separation than I originally thought.  Up top, they border on being bright at times but never cross the line.  The low end is a bit wet, and somewhat emphasized to be sure, but it's definitely not the weird mix of boomyness, dullness and bleed that I heard at the meet.

Do I feel it worth the current asking price?  I'm going to have to do some thinking (and comparing) before I can answer that.  I'll probably address that question in my full review when it's done.  I've arranged to borrow a few higher priced cans just to do my comparisons for this.

But ATM, I'm finding that what I'm listening to now is making me (rather embarrassingly) swallow some of my previous thoughts (based on what I heard at the meet).

Anyway, I'm just mentioning that maybe he might not want to dismiss it right away if he's curious... that was all. 
smile.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #5,812 of 7,457
just recently fitted some angle pads to my d7000.
would imagine this has been discussed already in this thread, so just wanted to say what a great company Lawton audio are to deal with.
pads are better quality than originals and i am certain they have improved the soundstage too.

Dec 24, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #5,814 of 7,457
The question gets asked and answered almost daily over at the TH-900 thread... check it out... 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/2745#post_8985705

Quote:
OK...how about the Fostex TH-900? How do the D-7000's stack up? I'm asking only because I'm looking forward to a possible successor to the D-7000.

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #5,815 of 7,457
Time to see what these D7100's can do, I got a deal I could not pass up and grabbed a pair.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #5,818 of 7,457
Since I know you love your D7000, I can't wait for you to make the D7100 do work!

I definitely enjoy the Denon sound signature, I'm gonna hit 'em with some Detroit Techno and old school Jazz.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #5,819 of 7,457
Im almost afraid to ask this because I dont want to go down this road, but I had a chance to hear a new pair of HD 800's at the last Seattle meet plugged into my receiver and they blew me away.

For the regulars here, you know that i have loved my D7000's since I got them a year ago and the Lawton Audio mods really had me thinking the Denons would be my last pair of headphones.

Well, the Sennheisers had a warmth I don't recall them having the last time I auditioned them, with tight musical bass that went deep, and treble that was sparkly but without any hint of sibilance. Compared directly to my Denons, they sounded similar in the bass and treble, but seemed more detailed and smoother sounding.

So, I'm debating selling my D7000's and purchasing the HD 800's with the proceeds. Has anyone else compared the two or own both? Your thoughts/comments would be much appreciated. Encourage me or talk me out of it... :D

My thoughts in favor of HD 800:

More comfortable to wear (they feel lovely)
Better sound quality (really, to my ears they are wonderful where the D7000's have shortcomings that limit my enjoyment somewhat)

My thoughts against the HD 800:

More expensive (I figure $400 or $500 out of pocket after selling my Denons)
Harder to drive (definitely a home only headphone)
Not as pretty to display (the Denons are beautiful)
Not rare (Denons are discontinued - if I sell them theres no going back if I feel remorse)

I suppose it boils down to one question - is it just about the sound quality?

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #5,820 of 7,457
its all up to you. ideally you should keep the denons and get the senns.

also how did you find the denon and hd 800s treble/bass similar? it seems they're quite different to me, the hd 800 being more extended on the treble with a cleaner sound and the bass being of higher quality, while the  denons tend to have much more bass, with plenty of weight and fullness even down to the sub-bass.

anyways, the hd 800s are the overall better headphone, but the d7000 are very fun to listen to, and more forgiving of poor recordings. thats why they're my go-to headphone when it comes to rap and alot of mainstream/top 40 stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back