Denon AH-D7000
Dec 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #5,776 of 7,457
if only they isolated just a bit better........

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #5,778 of 7,457
Quote:
...only a bit better? I considered them virtually open headphones in that regard. 

ha yeah i know what you mean.
i guess if they did isolate better, SQ would suffer?

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #5,779 of 7,457
Quote:

Pretty much. People who have closed off the areas in which they leak have recorded a pretty sizable dip in sound quality. Part of that is because being part-open helps, part of it is because the headphones weren't designed to be closed.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #5,780 of 7,457
Quote:

Maybe. But my W3000ANVs sound fantastic and isolate very well. So it is possible to make superior isolating closed headphones AND have great sound quality too. Sadly the TH-900s are no better in that regard as well.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #5,781 of 7,457
Quote:
Maybe. But my W3000ANVs sound fantastic and isolate very well. So it is possible to make superior isolating closed headphones AND have great sound quality too. Sadly the TH-900s are no better in that regard as well.

I'm not sure I can agree with you that the TH900 has poor isolation. One of the reasons I bought the TH900 was because it was a closed headphone. Back when I used to listen to music mostly with my LCD-2, my family would barge into my room at times and yell at me to lower the godd*mn volume. Now that I'm listening the TH900 (at the same volume), that doesn't happen anymore. So nowadays I can listen to music in peace.

I guess you're saying that the TH900 doesn't isolate as well as other closed headphones. But it is still a closed headphone, and it definitely isolates much better than open headphones like the LCD-2/3. The fact that the rest of my family, all of whom are quite sensitive to noise, doesn't pick a bone with my listening sessions anymore proves this point.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #5,782 of 7,457
Quote:

I'm not sure I can agree with you that the TH900 has poor isolation. One of the reasons I bought the TH900 was because it was a closed headphone. Back when I used to listen to music mostly with my LCD-2, my family would barge into my room at times and yell at me to lower the godd*mn volume. Now that I'm listening the TH900 (at the same volume), that doesn't happen anymore. So nowadays I can listen to music in peace.

I guess you're saying that the TH900 doesn't isolate as well as other closed headphones. But it is still a closed headphone, and it definitely isolates much better than open headphones like the LCD-2/3. The fact that the rest of my family, all of whom are quite sensitive to noise, doesn't pick a bone with my listening sessions anymore proves this point.

Have you heard say the DT770, W3000ANV, Ed.8? All smoked the TH-900s in regards to isolation. I found them about the same as the D7000s...that's to say functionally open. Sorry, I like how they sound and think that are "fixed" D7000s (which I really did like too), but isolation is not their strength.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #5,784 of 7,457
Quote:
I would call that series semi-open. It isn't quite an open headphone, but it isn't a closed one either.

Semi open is kinda like semi-pregnant. 
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #5,785 of 7,457
Quote:
I would call that series semi-open. It isn't quite an open headphone, but it isn't a closed one either.

Quote:
Semi open is kinda like semi-pregnant. 
tongue.gif

Or calling having a semi-truck 
tongue.gif

But seriously, I think many people (myself included) are mislead by these being "closed headphones" because they really don't provide much of a seal. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #5,786 of 7,457
For me, it will still make an interesting read as to why the two companies are no longer in bed dating. A scandalous novel awaits!

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #5,788 of 7,457
Quote:

+1

btw, what do you guys think of d7000 vs. he-500? i was thinking about it earlier.

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #5,789 of 7,457
I still consider the D7000 closed. Closed in that they keep the sound IN. They do not disturb others in the same room. Yes, isolation from external noise isnt good, but I feel its more important for closed headphones to not disturb tbose around you. The D7000 does just fine for that purpose.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #5,790 of 7,457
Quote:

i used to own a pair of ath-a900 which share same design as your w3000 (regarding headband/clamping force) i do not remember them isolating any better than my d7000.
never had them at same time, so maybe my memory is lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back