Denon AH-D7000
Jul 4, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #4,441 of 7,457

Quote:
Ah! Yes... I forgot about mood. Great point. There is always that.
wink_face.gif

I'll get back on the Denon's tomorrow but I'm getting kind of sad I'm enjoying them more than my Denon's...maybe it's just because they're new.  With a semi-powerful amp and boosting the low end it basically is the 7000s bass without a recessed midrange.  Dunno whether to think
gs1000.gif
or
frown.gif
.  For one, I'm very surprised.

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #4,442 of 7,457
you're gonna tempt me to order a pair just to see.

I sent the 650's back because they were good but I found the D7000s better for most of my applications...but maybe the 600s would do better for me.

where did you order yours from?

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #4,443 of 7,457
i was gonna pick up a 650 to see how i liked them to my d7000

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #4,445 of 7,457
decisions, decisions. going to be picking up an amp/dac for these very soon. any recommendations? would prefer a combo to save some space, but if i can get great sound from separate pieces for a great price that'd be nice. price is obviously a concern, i do not want to exceed $400. i was looking at a used yulong d100; figured if i go that route i'd be getting a GREAT dac and a sufficient amp for the d7000's for now. if i get new headphones or just want to upgrade the amp i can do that (won't be for a while though). at the same time, i do want to save money wherever i can so perhaps i'd be better off with the ol' e7/e9 combo? bah, i don't know :p.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #4,446 of 7,457
dont get the E7/E9, think about the matrix m stage ($250) and the udac 2 ($150). I know this goes against what you want as the m stage is an amazing amp and the udac is an average DAC, but it is a great setup.
also think about the audio gd fun which is great value and is both an amp and a dac.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #4,447 of 7,457

Quote:
you're gonna tempt me to order a pair just to see.

I sent the 650's back because they were good but I found the D7000s better for most of my applications...but maybe the 600s would do better for me.

where did you order yours from?

I got mine for $230 shipped from Audiogon (think of it as an ebay for audio stuff online) and came with the HD650 cable (which I hear is a must simple / cheap upgrade).

I've had heavy listening sessions with the HD650 (and upgraded cabling) and still like the HD600 much more.  I for one hate neutral cans (AKG 701 for example) but despite the HD600 being "neutral" it's a freaking awesome headphone if properly driven.  My amp's got plenty of "oomph" to drive them. 

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #4,449 of 7,457

Quote:
dont get the E7/E9, think about the matrix m stage ($250) and the udac 2 ($150). I know this goes against what you want as the m stage is an amazing amp and the udac is an average DAC, but it is a great setup.
also think about the audio gd fun which is great value and is both an amp and a dac.

Since you're recommending the uDAC-2, I assume you're not aware of all the controversy regarding serious issues that unit has. Steer away from that DAC as far as possible.

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #4,451 of 7,457

Quote:
even before the controversy, i bought it due to recommendations and sold it real fast. it wasnt very good.  after that i started to take recommendations here with a pound of salt. 

Hmm... what issues uDac-2 has? i'm curious...

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #4,452 of 7,457
Jul 5, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #4,453 of 7,457
the audio-gd fun is pretty well priced. any experiences with this particular headphone? would you say the dac section is "future-proof" meaning if i want to upgrade headphones/amp later i can still depend on the dac sounding great? i know about the m-stage and have heard nothing but great things about it, especially with the d7000.

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #4,454 of 7,457

I recently purchased a set of D7000 w/ J$ pads, and find they go excellently with my M^3 desktop amp, and Gamma-1 DAC (both by head-fi'er MisterX) .  The combo should run you under your $400 cap, and the DAC is small enough that it can just dangle off the back of your desk on its cords with no problem.

Quote:
decisions, decisions. going to be picking up an amp/dac for these very soon. any recommendations? would prefer a combo to save some space, but if i can get great sound from separate pieces for a great price that'd be nice. price is obviously a concern, i do not want to exceed $400. i was looking at a used yulong d100; figured if i go that route i'd be getting a GREAT dac and a sufficient amp for the d7000's for now. if i get new headphones or just want to upgrade the amp i can do that (won't be for a while though). at the same time, i do want to save money wherever i can so perhaps i'd be better off with the ol' e7/e9 combo? bah, i don't know :p.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #4,455 of 7,457
waiting for my MD7000s in the post. i got them in the for sale section here on head-fi for just $770 including JMoney pads in a like new condition. Once I sell either the markl modded stock pads or the JMoney pads (depending on what I prefer) for about $70, and the stock cups for around $100 (I have custom cups), the unit would have cost me just $600 including shipping and paypal fees. The classified had been up for over 2 weeks, so I couldnt believe my luck when they were still available.
Hoping to compare the MD7000s with the HE500s when I receive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back