Denon AH-D7000
Jul 7, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #4,456 of 7,462

the audio-gd fun is pretty well priced. any experiences with this particular headphone? would you say the dac section is "future-proof" meaning if i want to upgrade headphones/amp later i can still depend on the dac sounding great? i know about the m-stage and have heard nothing but great things about it, especially with the d7000.

I don't have the D7000, but I'm using an Audio-GD Fun with my heavily modded Denon D2000. The combination sounds fantastic. However, for the best sound, I highly recommend "rolling" the Fun's stock opamp to one of the higher grade audio opamps on the market, such as two AD797BRZ op-amps  on a Brown Dog adapter.

As for the DAC section being "future-proof", there is no such thing as a future-proof digital technology. The Audio-GD Fun does use a modular DAC board, so if Kingwa were to keep releasing new DAC modules as technology advances, you could keep it up to date. There's no guarantee that DAC upgrade modules will be available for it in the future, but at least the modular design allows for the possibility, which most products don't. Irrespective, five years from now the DAC will continue to sound as good as it does right now. It just might not sound quite as good as the latest-and-greatest five years from now.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #4,457 of 7,462

Quote:
the audio-gd fun is pretty well priced. any experiences with this particular headphone? would you say the dac section is "future-proof" meaning if i want to upgrade headphones/amp later i can still depend on the dac sounding great? i know about the m-stage and have heard nothing but great things about it, especially with the d7000.

I run the setup of the Denon AH-D7000 and the Audio-GD FUN (Earth OPAMP).

Phenomenal sounding.  Has boat loads of juice to power both the Denon's and the Sennheiser's.  Can't go wrong with it.  I like it better than the NuForce Icon HDP everyone raves about in this thread as the Audio-GD Fun has more power.

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #4,458 of 7,462
Any thoughts on the Schiit Asgard with the Denons? I'm thinking of upgrading from the E9 even though its great, I want to get a different solid state, I was thinking either the M stage or the Asgard, but mostly the Asgard with a 5 year warranty made right here in the US and I love the Schiit Audio company. Anyone use the Asgard with the denons?

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #4,459 of 7,462

Quote:
Any thoughts on the Schiit Asgard with the Denons? I'm thinking of upgrading from the E9 even though its great, I want to get a different solid state, I was thinking either the M stage or the Asgard, but mostly the Asgard with a 5 year warranty made right here in the US and I love the Schiit Audio company. Anyone use the Asgard with the denons?

The matrix is much much better do a search I did a comparison. wwhat good is a 5yr warranty if the product will not sound good with the d7000

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #4,460 of 7,462

Quote:
I run the setup of the Denon AH-D7000 and the Audio-GD FUN (Earth OPAMP).

Phenomenal sounding.  Has boat loads of juice to power both the Denon's and the Sennheiser's.  Can't go wrong with it.  I like it better than the NuForce Icon HDP everyone raves about in this thread as the Audio-GD Fun has more power.

The FUN is pretty beast looking too.  Makes it look like you're working with some serious equipment haha

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #4,461 of 7,462

Quote:
The matrix is much much better do a search I did a comparison. wwhat good is a 5yr warranty if the product will not sound good with the d7000

Thats why I asked. You have the m stage I'm assuming?

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #4,462 of 7,462
Quote:
The FUN is pretty beast looking too.  Makes it look like you're working with some serious equipment haha

Yea man it's big.  As you can see compared to the Denon's it's hefty (and has a lot of depth).

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #4,464 of 7,462

Quote:
Thats why I asked. You have the m stage I'm assuming?

I had the M Stage for over a year and it was a great match for the D7000. My Taboo is an 1100.00 amp is what ended up replacing the M Stage. I had the Asgard for two days. My reviews are in this thread. I only have a vintage Pioneer SX650 for  solid state as I use tube amps and have 2400 invested in my Decware amps. The SX650 is better than any solid state headphone amp I owned and if you have the room for a silverface Pioneer that is the way to go IMO. I paid 35.00 for my SX650

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #4,465 of 7,462

Quote:
I had the M Stage for over a year and it was a great match for the D7000. My Taboo is an 1100.00 amp is what ended up replacing the M Stage. I had the Asgard for two days. My reviews are in this thread. I only have a vintage Pioneer SX650 for  solid state as I use tube amps and have 2400 invested in my Decware amps. The SX650 is better than any solid state headphone amp I owned and if you have the room for a silverface Pioneer that is the way to go IMO. I paid 35.00 for my SX650

Room is a big part of my nightstand rig, thats why I have a MSII+ dac and a fiio e9, so room is at a premium. The M stage is as big as I want it to be. But I don't know if I'm going to upgrade soon I want to upgrade my interconnects and maybe get an aftermarket cable for my LCD 2 first. Just figured I'd ask which solid state you guys go with.

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #4,467 of 7,462

Quote:
i have the fun as well, and i think it is way too big. for me, its just too impractical to have an amp that big, so is there a dac and amp which performs similarly for under $300?
for reference, the m stage would be considered too big, whilst the nuforce hd would be considered perfect size (if not a bit small).

The NFB-12 is pretty small, it's not as small as the HDP but at least it's only like $230 shipped.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #4,469 of 7,462

Quote:
Originally Posted by auhafezi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

on top of this, every time i used the FUN as a dac, the audio cuts off after about 1/3 volume?
has anyone else had this problem?

no

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #4,470 of 7,462

Quote:
also, i dont know whether the cables in my FUN are melting, but after using the amp for around a half hour, i can smell burning plastic and the amp becomes very warm.
i opened the amp up,the smell intensified and it did look like some of the plastic inside had melted.

on top of this, every time i used the FUN as a dac, the audio cuts off after about 1/3 volume?
has anyone else had this problem?

You need to let your amp cool for a while, that's dangerous.  Maybe clean it out and put in a spot that's better ventilated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back