Denon AH-D7000
Jul 11, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #4,471 of 7,464
Anyone near tampa, fl that has these cans? Was talking to this big grado guy that gave props to the d7000 for being bang for the buck at its lower price range and similar attributes to one of my fav headphones(ps1). This has made me super interested in the d7000 and feeling crazy enough to want to drop the money despite saying I have no need to spend over 300 on headphones.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #4,472 of 7,464

I would think something with a little less current and designed for lower gain spectrum would work better.  Something like the M stage or M3, or a Dynalo.

Quote:
Any thoughts on the Schiit Asgard with the Denons? I'm thinking of upgrading from the E9 even though its great, I want to get a different solid state, I was thinking either the M stage or the Asgard, but mostly the Asgard with a 5 year warranty made right here in the US and I love the Schiit Audio company. Anyone use the Asgard with the denons?

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #4,473 of 7,464
Anyone near tampa, fl that has these cans? Was talking to this big grado guy that gave props to the d7000 for being bang for the buck at its lower price range and similar attributes to one of my fav headphones(ps1). This has made me super interested in the d7000 and feeling crazy enough to want to drop the money despite saying I have no need to spend over 300 on headphones.

I've never heard the PS1 but I've never thought of my 7k's having a similar sound to any of my Grados (G-1000, HF-2, SR-80) I love 'em both, but for different reasons.

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #4,474 of 7,464

Originally Posted by auhafezi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, i dont know whether the cables in my FUN are melting, but after using the amp for around a half hour, i can smell burning plastic and the amp becomes very warm.
i opened the amp up,the smell intensified and it did look like some of the plastic inside had melted.

on top of this, every time i used the FUN as a dac, the audio cuts off after about 1/3 volume?
has anyone else had this problem?

Your FUN is going to need repair. I suggest you contact Audio-GD or the distributor (e.g. Pacific Valve) where you purchased it.

But for the edification of the rest of here on Head-Fi, can you post a picture showing where the plastic melted?

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #4,475 of 7,464
although i have yet to play my MD7000s through my desktop properly, i have to say i'm a little disappointed. at the moment, i am simply feeding my cowon j3 to my amp with a mini/rca cable, and i havent experienced any of the extraordinary results that have been posted on this forum. as a listener who has never heard a headphone above $200, i was expecting to be blown away by the MD7000s yet I haven't been.

i know that as the cowon j3 does not have a line out, the SQ is a lot worse than when using just a computer, but i can't imagine that the difference would be that huge.

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #4,476 of 7,464
I figured I'd share this little story this morning.  One of my seniors at my job wanted to hear one of my headphones so we were on consecutive shifts so I brought in the D7000 for him to demo this morning on my way out.  In a pinch I just threw them in my iPhone (not the best source but they sound pretty decent out of them).  He was totally impressed by them and such.  Although it was kind of funny when one of the other people there at work asked me if "they're as good as those Bose headphones". 
tongue.gif

I just simply said the Denon's are in another league (as I don't know if he owns any Bose and didn't want to get on a side rant and/or insult him). 

Anyways it was kind of neat to introduce someone else to higher end audio.  That person who commented on the Bose headphones refused to put them on because he said if he did he may have to buy them
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #4,477 of 7,464
It may sound crazy, but the more I listen to my balanced D7000s with a tube amp I find them to be a tossup in terms of sheer enjoyability between those & my R10s (bass lights).
There is NO fatigue that comes from digital-source shrieking on vocals or brass or strings and there is nice resolution and solid, tuneful, well-integrated bass (NOT boomy car-stereo subwoofer-disconnected bass).
These are not analytical phones but not mid-fi details-missing-in-action phones either.

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #4,478 of 7,464
^^ Doesn't sound crazy to me. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #4,479 of 7,464
Based just off sheer price and value, It sounds crazy as hell to me. But I have learned that you can't always go my price with head-fi.

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #4,480 of 7,464

Quote:
It may sound crazy, but the more I listen to my balanced D7000s with a tube amp I find them to be a tossup in terms of sheer enjoyability between those & my R10s (bass lights).
There is NO fatigue that comes from digital-source shrieking on vocals or brass or strings and there is nice resolution and solid, tuneful, well-integrated bass (NOT boomy car-stereo subwoofer-disconnected bass).
These are not analytical phones but not mid-fi details-missing-in-action phones either.

At the July 2009 Colorado meet I had a pair of review sample LA7000 that were only slightly behind Ray Samuels's bass heavy R10 in performance.  The R10 has slightly tighter bass that was stronger, a little bit richer sounding midrange, and a little deeper soundstage.  But I liked the LA7000 so much that I bought the demo pair right after the meet (good deal if you can find a used pair).  Both phones even sounded great out of a P-51 portable amp, not just with the big guys.  I liked the R10 enough that I might put $3K on a credit card for a pair, but no way would I spend $5-6K on a pair of R10 when these are so close.  I don't miss my previous stock or re-cabled Edition 9 at all since I have these, although I'd like to compare them to an Edition 8 one of these days (based on Skylab gushing about them so much).

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #4,481 of 7,464
Anyone know how to sort out the D7000s cable? Although it is claimed to be 'untangleable', my cable is always in a mess. However what annoys me the most is how the cable twists, particularly near the part where the two cables become one. Does anyone have a way to manage the unnecessarily long cable (i know some people have uses for it but i don't) and how to stop it from twisting and tangling. I don't own a headphone stand, and I don't plan on buying one, so every time after using my D7000s I have to pack it away in the box and wrap the cable up.

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #4,482 of 7,464

Quote:
Anyone know how to sort out the D7000s cable? Although it is claimed to be 'untangleable', my cable is always in a mess. However what annoys me the most is how the cable twists, particularly near the part where the two cables become one. Does anyone have a way to manage the unnecessarily long cable (i know some people have uses for it but i don't) and how to stop it from twisting and tangling. I don't own a headphone stand, and I don't plan on buying one, so every time after using my D7000s I have to pack it away in the box and wrap the cable up.

Try twisting the headphones themselves around a bit.  If you don't one of the cables going from the cup to the junction will continue to become twisted.

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #4,483 of 7,464

Try twisting the headphones themselves around a bit.  If you don't one of the cables going from the cup to the junction will continue to become twisted.

The joints in the D7000 don't allow the earcups to twist all the way around (unlike, say Grados, where the cups spin freely.) In fact, the range of motion on the D7000 cups is very limited. So the only way the cable could be twisted is by manipulating the cable itself. If the twisting gets really bad, one could unscrew the earcups, then twist around the piece where the cable attaches.

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #4,484 of 7,464
Is the twist above or below the split? If above, try taking the wire the knot and wrap it above the headphones to the other side, etc. My D5000 came with a seemingly permanent twist on the left side above the split until I played around with it. It's hard to explain since I don't remember how I fixed it, but after experimenting it's now perfectly straight.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #4,485 of 7,464
I had the same issue. So, I removed one cup by taking out the fastening screws. I was then able to untwist the cable. However... this was a fairly touchy procedure, and I don't recommend it for fumblefingers. The screws can strip very easily... things are not all that robust in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back