Denon AH-D7000
Jul 17, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #4,501 of 7,464

Quote:
Has anyone done business with BESTSTOPDEALS on ebay?   They're in New Jersey.   At $729 shipped they appear to be best price on D7000's these days.

Headroom is $800.   

I just ordered a pair last week from HeadRoom (support the quality companies!), and got them for $649.00. Just ask the salesperson if you can get them at a lower price (than what they are advertising). Free next day delivery too.

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #4,502 of 7,464
I called Headroom and the guy said $799.   He must like you more than me. 
smile.gif

In the past I've had some D5k's modded by Mark Lawton, so I've emailed him.  It's looking like he can get me a pair, which is nice.  I like doing business with people you know and trust.

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #4,503 of 7,464
I found the HeadRooom can be wiggy on the Denons. Same experience as other postings indicate here--a pattern of less than total consistency. Always a pleasure to get their opinion on a can on assumption they might be more perceptive than us civilians much as that assumption has more holes in it than Christian theology. Last time I talked to them the individual I spoke with said go for the Denon 2000. More worth the money than for the two more expensive ones. I finally bought used pair of the Denon 5000. Depending on the recording, the excessive bass crushes the life out of the rest of the spectrum and no way to mess around with equalizing without big electronic hassle. They hang on the rack much more than I would like considering the cost. But when they do not crush the spectrum like JackintheBeanstock barbarians they are handsome devils. I love Grados but hate Senns. Listening to Senns is a sin and that so many do is confirmation there is no higher power and that indeed we blew when that naughty woman handed over the apple which is the story of my life--what the woman giveth and what the woman taketh away.

Amen.

Art

P.S. Thanks one and all for not writing in all lower case tweedledum format. You guys can run my corporations any time with a huge bonus every year as reward for your literacy levels.

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #4,504 of 7,464

Quote:
I found the HeadRooom can be wiggy on the Denons. Same experience as other postings indicate here--a pattern of less than total consistency. Always a pleasure to get their opinion on a can on assumption they might be more perceptive than us civilians much as that assumption has more holes in it than Christian theology. Last time I talked to them the individual I spoke with said go for the Denon 2000. More worth the money than for the two more expensive ones. I finally bought used pair of the Denon 5000. Depending on the recording, the excessive bass crushes the life out of the rest of the spectrum and no way to mess around with equalizing without big electronic hassle. They hang on the rack much more than I would like considering the cost. But when they do not crush the spectrum like JackintheBeanstock barbarians they are handsome devils. I love Grados but hate Senns. Listening to Senns is a sin and that so many do is confirmation there is no higher power and that indeed we blew when that naughty woman handed over the apple which is the story of my life--what the woman giveth and what the woman taketh away.

Amen.

Art

P.S. Thanks one and all for not writing in all lower case tweedledum format. You guys can run my corporations any time with a huge bonus every year as reward for your literacy levels.

Did you just mix religion with headphones ._.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #4,505 of 7,464

Quote:
I just ordered a pair last week from HeadRoom (support the quality companies!), and got them for $649.00. Just ask the salesperson if you can get them at a lower price (than what they are advertising). Free next day delivery too.

sounds like one of the old J&R deals.  That's what I paid with free shipping.  First day I called they wouldn't budge off $800.  Called 10min later and got a different rep and bingo.

too bad I missed the August of '09 deal for $549 on the D7000 from J&R...that'll never happen again.

Quote:
I love Grados but hate Senns. Listening to Senns is a sin

I felt the same way until I gave some Senn's a little amplification.  Other than the SR-80 and HF-2 I'm not a fan of the Grado line at all any more (and I've heard the 325, RS1, GS-1000). 

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #4,507 of 7,464
Total Bithead http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/amplifiers/headroom-total-bithead.php

My AH-D7000 works great with my Total Airhead.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #4,508 of 7,464

Quote:
i know there are about 10 threads on this question but i want to get an answer from other D7000 owners.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an all in one Amp/DAC combo? Having owned the audio gd Compass, I wasn't hugely impressed, although I'd be tempted to buy a similar performing amp which is much smaller, such as the NuForce HD without the preamp function. The reason why I want an all in one combo is down to space and cables. At the moment, my rig is a mess in terms of cables (mainly due to the fact that I have to connect my Cowon J3 via USB as I don't have enough space on my Laptop for my music), and getting a separate DAC and amp would mean having even more cables.

If there are suitable sized separate DACs and Amps that go well with the D7000, could you please post/link pictures of your rig to prove that it won't be inconvenient to use.
And my budget is around $400. 

upgrade to the FUN from Audio-GD

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #4,510 of 7,464

Quote:

And about the Total Bithead: does a $149 amp really rival the $349 NuForce HD?

I wouldn't know.  

I have never heard the NuForce.  

Nor did I imply that I had.

Maybe you should try it and see/hear.  

Sometimes price can be deceptive.

biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #4,511 of 7,464
The HDP is a hundred dollars more MSRP and works beautifully with my Denons.

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #4,515 of 7,464

I wouldn't want to wrap up my cable around that small a diameter.

I really need to take a close look at my cable.  I've never had any issues with it, never noticed any twisting etc... Maybe I'm just OCD about laying it out and taking care of it, or maybe I'm just not as mobile as you guys when I'm wearing my headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back