Denon AH-D7000
Jul 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #4,426 of 7,462
how do you delete a post while we are at it, i can't find anything in search.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #4,427 of 7,462
sorri ...a noob question, the thicker part of the earpad is supposed to be at the front or the back of the cup?
confused.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #4,428 of 7,462

Quote:
sorri ...a noob question, the thicker part of the earpad is supposed to be at the front or the back of the cup?
confused.gif

technically the back, but i put mine in front cause im gangsta

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #4,429 of 7,462
ya...i actually had the thicker part infront..since i gotten the cans...tot the bass sounded firmer.
gs1000.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #4,430 of 7,462
^^ - how come you have the LD as well as the NuForce HD? Doesn't the Nuforce have a good amp and a great DAC, meaning that the Little Dot is not needed?

and i think the wood is east indian rosewood, i dont know what baracuda wood looks like

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #4,431 of 7,462
Well I compared the Denon's to the HD600 I just picked up.  Feel free to read it and comment.  I took some time to write it out.  There were some surprises to me...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/561108/denon-ah-d7000-vs-sennheiser-hd-600-comparison#post_7582410

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #4,432 of 7,462
[size=10pt]Yeah NOs... it's a nice write-up.[/size]
[size=10pt]I only have one very minor difference of opinion, and it's not about the two cans. It's a philosophical and practical matter. (Since it wasn't germane to the topic, I didn't post this in that thread).[/size]

[size=10pt]You state: “[/size][size=10pt]If you had to pick one though, it really depends on the genre of music that suits you most.[/size][size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt]Yeah, that’s not how I pick my cans, and I know this differs from many people. I would say a majority of folks on HF work this way... for Rock, dubstep, etc., I’ll pick these cans, and for Jazz I’ll pick these, and for vocals I’ll pick these. For me, the pick is determined by the use. For sitting and just listening I’ll pick these, for editing I’ll pick these, for the gym I’ll pick these.[/size]

[size=10pt]My choice of cans are those that produce the sound I like... in general. This particular sound works with (mostly) everything I listen to. So I don’t have to change my cans if I change the music. Once I’m in a particular activity, the headphones are chosen, and I’m good to go regardless of tracks. I can change genre and it's no problem.[/size]

[size=10pt]So that’s all... just pointing out that not everyone listens to or uses their cans in the same way.[/size]
[size=10pt]Again... nice comparison review.
beerchug.gif
[/size]

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #4,433 of 7,462
you have a good point of view.  I'm personally listening to the HD600 right now but I'm not being picky to switch them between tracks and am probably more like you.  Personally I'm just going to use whichever headphone I'm in the mood for at the moment. 

I only mentioned based on genre because in general certain headphones excel at certain types more than others.  I did "cheat' with the HD600 giving it a little bass boost in the EQ as I mentioned there.  Applying that boost to the Denon's is just flat out sick...almost too much bass (which to me typically there's no such thing as too much bass lol).

If you use foobar load up the EQ and the last two sliders move up the 2nd to last one 4 notches and the far left up 7 notches.  Then click auto-level so nothing is set too high to cause clipping and distortion and voila.  Like I said in my review I'm not a fan of EQ'ing things but it made a night and day difference on the HD600.  The Denon's bass goes ballistic at that level... :D

Quote:
[size=10pt]Yeah NOs... it's a nice write-up.[/size]
[size=10pt]I only have one very minor difference of opinion, and it's not about the two cans. It's a philosophical and practical matter. (Since it wasn't germane to the topic, I didn't post this in that thread).[/size]

[size=10pt]You state: “[/size][size=10pt]If you had to pick one though, it really depends on the genre of music that suits you most.[/size][size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt]Yeah, that’s not how I pick my cans, and I know this differs from many people. I would say a majority of folks on HF work this way... for Rock, dubstep, etc., I’ll pick these cans, and for Jazz I’ll pick these, and for vocals I’ll pick these. For me, the pick is determined by the use. For sitting and just listening I’ll pick these, for editing I’ll pick these, for the gym I’ll pick these.[/size]

[size=10pt]My choice of cans are those that produce the sound I like... in general. This particular sound works with (mostly) everything I listen to. So I don’t have to change my cans if I change the music. Once I’m in a particular activity, the headphones are chosen, and I’m good to go regardless of tracks. I can change genre and it's no problem.[/size]

[size=10pt]So that’s all... just pointing out that not everyone listens to or uses their cans in the same way.[/size]
[size=10pt]Again... nice comparison review.
beerchug.gif
[/size]

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #4,434 of 7,462

Quote:
DO NOT BUY FROM DAKMART.

Having corresponded with them, they are very unprofessional and are not proficient in speaking English. They do not accept Paypal, despite stating on their website that they do. You have to pay through Western Union, which is a company notorious for its use by scammers. Whilst you may get a Denon warranty, I understand that is just for broken parts and not something like an off centre cup. If you do want to return an item, they charge up to 20% extra as a stocking fee, and you have to pay the return shipping. I have heard from many people who say that Dakmart claimed not to receive the return package, and so a refund was not given. 
After questioning all of this through my correspondence they said this:

[size=12pt] [size=11pt]You have exact profile of scammer.[/size][/size]

[size=12pt] [size=11pt]We happy we will not have further communication of you.[/size][/size]

[size=12pt] [size=11pt]Only concern to be warn other retailers of his intentions[/size][/size]

[size=12pt]  [/size]

[size=12pt] Does this sound like a Denon authorised retailer? I have contacted Denon about this but they are yet to reply. My suspicion is that the company is based in China, and are selling stolen/fake items as well as some damaged customer returns. [/size]

Having seen their ebay and amazon feedback profiles, it is clear that this company must not be trusted. Whilst you hear on this forum about people who have bought from dakmart and are satisfied, it is not worth gambling $600 based on these people's experiences.

I'm guessing you don't live in the US?  $500 refurb, paid by my credit card via web, got tracking number, delivered as promised, perfect in every way, no problems, what are you talking about?  Refurb is 90 day warranty, warranty station nearby.  They are an authorized Denon dealer.

Jul 3, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #4,435 of 7,462
why did you get rid of lcd2 

Jul 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #4,436 of 7,462

Quote:
^^ - how come you have the LD as well as the NuForce HD? Doesn't the Nuforce have a good amp and a great DAC, meaning that the Little Dot is not needed?

and i think the wood is east indian rosewood, i dont know what baracuda wood looks like

hmm...the HD is great as a DAC, but loses out as a dac+amp ...vs the HD+burson, or HD+BCL..or HD+LD
ya of cos its east indian rosewood,
tongue_smile.gif
 the barracuda just swam into my head spur of the moment..lol.

Jul 3, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #4,437 of 7,462
Better is so subjective plus it's very interesting how you say the LCD-2 are better in everything than the D7000 when you haven't even owned it yet .  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you at least heard the LCD-2 though so your statement doesn't sound as bad
o2smile.gif

The measurements of frequency response, square wave at 50Hz and 500Hz, etc of both the D7000 and LCD-2...show that "subjective", well, isn't so subjective. :wink:

FWIW, I own the LCD-2s and have owned the D7000s twice.

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #4,438 of 7,462

Quote:
why did you get rid of lcd2 

Highs rolled off, not "shelved" as some peeps claim (I still have the FR chart, if that matters), weird soundstage that was not coherent left to right, a texture that I didn't like (I've owned Maggie 3.6).  I didn't mind the weight and clamping, it felt good in a way that I thought got me all of the sound it was going to give.  Sub-bass was amazing but no better than the D7000.  IMHO, the phone is not overpriced, just over rated.  I also investigated thorougly the HE-5LE, better highs, still the texture wasn't quite right.  Guess I'm a dynamic phone kind of guy.  I've owned old Stax and heard the 4070 and while the transparency is exceptional, the bass is not. I think I've made peace with what I like in a headphone.  Maybe a T1 or a K1000 or a PS-1000 or an HE-6 would turn my head but I'm not sure I care enough to care.  YMMV, etc., etc.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #4,439 of 7,462

Quote:
Highs rolled off, not "shelved" as some peeps claim (I still have the FR chart, if that matters), weird soundstage that was not coherent left to right, a texture that I didn't like (I've owned Maggie 3.6).  I didn't mind the weight and clamping, it felt good in a way that I thought got me all of the sound it was going to give.  Sub-bass was amazing but no better than the D7000.  IMHO, the phone is not overpriced, just over rated.  I also investigated thorougly the HE-5LE, better highs, still the texture wasn't quite right.  Guess I'm a dynamic phone kind of guy.  I've owned old Stax and heard the 4070 and while the transparency is exceptional, the bass is not. I think I've made peace with what I like in a headphone.  Maybe a T1 or a K1000 or a PS-1000 or an HE-6 would turn my head but I'm not sure I care enough to care.  YMMV, etc., etc.

thats interesting.

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #4,440 of 7,462

Quote:
you have a good point of view.  I'm personally listening to the HD600 right now but I'm not being picky to switch them between tracks and am probably more like you.  Personally I'm just going to use whichever headphone I'm in the mood for at the moment. 

Ah! Yes... I forgot about mood. Great point. There is always that.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back