Denon AH-D7000
Apr 7, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #3,061 of 7,457

Quote:
Yup I feel the same way. from what i heard they are supposed to come out with 2 dacs by year end. One in the summer that is entry level and the other a beast i guess later on. If I go with the streamer now  I will simply pair it with my e9 and use the e7 for strictly portable use at work. I'm glad the e9 pairs well with the D7000, supposedly better than the Lyr, I still want to use my e9 in a different part of the house, I still think it's an amazing amp for $130.

It's an amazing value and has served me well the past few months. I'm pretty sure once I get my more upscale combo it will absolutely be out the door though. At that point I'll have my Arrow for portable use and the others for home. It'll be the low-end wayward child at that point. I'll have to send it to a new home.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #3,062 of 7,457
Never said the E9 was better than the Lyr for the D7000, but that my preference for SS sound (brighter and more aggressive) makes the E9 more suited for me than the Lyr.

Just wanna make that clear before the anti-Fiio brigade decides to bring me down.

Again, the E9 has more mid and treble bite than the Lyr with stock tubes. My tubes have well over 70 hours, and keep that more polite and smooth tone no matter what the source.

I can't wait for you E9 owners to give your own input as it seems that I'm the only one to compare it to something else without any assumptions or notion that anything is better than anything else.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #3,063 of 7,457

Quote:
Never said the E9 was better than the Lyr for the D7000, but that my preference for SS sound (brighter and more aggressive) makes the E9 more suited for me than the Lyr.

Just wanna make that clear before the anti-Fiio brigade decides to bring me down.

Again, the E9 has more mid and treble bite than the Lyr with stock tubes. My tubes have well over 70 hours, and keep that more polite and smooth tone no matter what the source.

I can't wait for you E9 owners to give your own input as it seems that I'm the only one to compare it to something else without any assumptions or notion that anything is better than anything else.

I'll post my impressions once I get another thing to compare it to. I'm REALLY interested in the D100...The combo (and the D100 alone) is just gorgeous...and very well reviewed.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #3,064 of 7,457
The D7000s require very little power.  What they need is a good source, one that isn't particularly warm since they're already warm cans in the first place.  I have heard good things about the D7000 and Yulong combo, but I can only honestly vouch for my own D7000 - Nuforce combo.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #3,066 of 7,457

Quote:
The Audio-gd nfb3 is a pretty good looking and sounding dac that fits your budget.

Agreed. Sounded good with mine. And as is said above. Good source rig, especially SS is my recommendation for the D7k.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #3,067 of 7,457
I know I'm mentioning more on the "budget" side of things but the AUdio-GD FUN (Version A) makes the D7000's sound very well..."fun."  It's warm and a joy to listen to.  It's also rather inexpensive.  

Plus for those commenting on the price of $999...you can get them for as low as half of that if you bargain with J&R enough.  Put it this way...I got both the FUN nad the D7K for just about a tad over $1K and they both were new.

Hope this helps and happy listening!!!

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #3,068 of 7,457
 I agree you can get them for a lot lower off J&R, but they will not go below $650 anymore at this time. I know a bunch of people that have recently got them from J&R, I am one, $650 is now the lowest they will go. Many of there salesmen won't go below $700 or $800, I know the salesman who will sell at $650 if you want to purchase at that price, just pm me.

You can also buy cheap at Electronics Expo for around $600 or a little under, but I'm pretty sure they are out of stock. I decided not to go with them because I have heard mixed reviews on their service etc. I know MLE has bought a few headphones from there including the D7K with no problems, but I know and have read plenty of people that had issues with EE. I read someone receiving a broken D7K and having a hard time getting an RMA.  For me, I didn't want to spend that much money and have a problem, so i spent a few bucks more for peice of mind.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #3,070 of 7,457
650.00 is about as low you can get then from jr now since they are in such high demand. You might not can get them that low anymore since they just recently got them in stock with limited quantities.

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #3,071 of 7,457
Just received my D7000 finally after a very long wait..There just a beautiful in person as in picture. They sound amazing right out of the box, burning them in with a long list of trance right now. I can't believe how great they sound out of the box, most of the headphones I purchased brand new were a little disappointing and then eventually grew on me. These sound fantastic right away, I wonder if they will sound better with time.

The bass is definetly not as much as the Pro 900, but there is still plenty for my taste. I have enough bass heavy phones, I'm glad I got these phones which seem more balanced than anything i own so far. They don't clamp tight like many closed phones do, they kind of feel like the Dt990 with pleather pads as far as comfort and clamping. I'm glad they don't clamp hard I don't care about sound leakage. So far very pleased.

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #3,072 of 7,457
Glad to hear you got them in! Let me know which you prefer as a whole. :) As much as I don't need the Pro 900, I'm still interested in them. Let me know which stays cooler on your head and ears too!

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #3,073 of 7,457

Quote:
Glad to hear you got them in! Let me know which you prefer as a whole.
smily_headphones1.gif
As much as I don't need the Pro 900, I'm still interested in them. Let me know which stays cooler on your head and ears too!

This is pretty much how I feel about the Pro 900 right now. I don't need them, but I'm still interested. They're just an attractive, well liked can....and I loved my Pro 750s.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #3,074 of 7,457
I will let you guys no after a while, but I already know I am going to keep the Pro 900 no matter what. I just listen to alot of electronic music where the Pro really shines. Sometimes tho my ears dont want to handle that head pounding bass, where the Dt990 and D7K will come into play. I think I might like the D7K as a whole since its probably the most balanced headphone I have, but the Pro 900 is so dam fun. D7K will get the most use.

Right now its still kind of cold here in NY so I can't really gauge which gets hot on my head. I've had the M50's make me sweat a little bit, so I imagine the D7K will make my head warm when summer reaches. Today they feel fine I think with such a loose clamp the heat won't be an issue.  I know you live in orlando so I can see why the heat can be a problem for a good part of the year. The Pro 900 becomes a little uncomfortable after a LONG session, I haven't noticed an issue with heat, it's mostly from the tight clamp and my around my ears become itchy from the pads. Also my ears feel drained after about an hour or so with the Pro's because of the high's and the thumping bass. I love them to death but after a while my ears are done. I like playing them at high volumes.

Also the D7K's have a funky smell out of the box. I can't tell if it's the wood cups, or the pleather pads, or a mixture of both. All I know is they stink. It's not a horrible smell, just there. more of like a new smell. It reminds me of smelling gas, it doesn't smell that great but you keep smelling it for some reason lol.

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #3,075 of 7,457
jronan2:  Give them some time and the bass will be even better.  I listened to a well broken in pair (over a year old) before I bought my own pair.  The bass to me was sloppy out of the box until they broke in.  My friend got them for $550 shipped on J&R but like others said...when I bought them $650 was the lowest I could get them and that included shipping already.  :)  I saw the EE site had them cheaper for some time but like someone else said, I'd rather spend the few extra dollars for piece of mind from a reputable company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back