Denon AH-D7000
Jun 5, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #1,966 of 7,457

Quote:
Somewhat at any rate. I've noticed on his D5000 and lesser on the 7000s that the denons still exhibit a fluffy thunder in the deep sub bass region (say, from 30hz down). I'm working from memory which is notoriously suspect, but if I already had stock Denon's and I was on a war against bass, I'd get the J$ pads first before. I played with some recordings and can still get my marklmod 7ks to exhibit the fluffyness that people don't like, but only under about 30hz which most commercial music is lacking, but I don't recall the same effect with those recordings with a stock set of J$ pads at the meet (which to be fair was at a meet with chatty nerds) 
biggrin.gif

ymmv.

Seems to me like you are not amping them right. Slow, boomy bass does not sound like my D7000 at all. Bass can get a little crowded at times depending on the recording, but these puppies  give some crazy growling down to 20hz . Try getting something with a ton of current. I thoroughly agree with Frank L that with a serious amp they transform for the better. Won't fix the bass, but to these ears, it is the cleanest, deepest, and moving bass out there in a headphone.

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #1,967 of 7,457

Quote:
I am using the Matrix M Stage with my AHD7000 and it a great match. I also have a Little Dot MK11 but I find the Matrix is so much better. Great amp.

I'd need an DAC to pair with it then (and an extra power plug, but that's a different problem). If you think the M Stage and another DAC will be more sterile then the audio gd fun, I'm all ears.
smile.gif

Quote:
Seems to me like you are not amping them right. Slow, boomy bass does not sound like my D7000 at all. Bass can get a little crowded at times depending on the recording, but these puppies  give some crazy growling down to 20hz . Try getting something with a ton of current. I thoroughly agree with Frank L that with a serious amp they transform for the better. Won't fix the bass, but to these ears, it is the cleanest, deepest, and moving bass out there in a headphone.

I agree, they are the closest to natural that I've heard in a headphone (natural to me is a reference monitor for mixing or the actual performance). I also agree that the D10 probably isn't really maximizing the D7000's potential (although volume wise it is).

I'm dealing with raw (pre-mix) recordings of performances which have standing waves of sound in the room so I've got some trash down around 20hz and 30hz that I hear while mixing or checking. Some recordings I can exploit this, others I don't notice it. meh.

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #1,969 of 7,457
I use the Matrix with out a dac. My source is the Marantz DV6001 universal player. I did hear the Matrix hooked up to a DACMagic with PC itune source and it was very musical. It was detailed and no hard sound or grain. I hope this helps. All I can say is the Matrix is awesome with the D7000. The bass is very deep and well extended. To me the bass is more extended than my Outlaw sub driving my Maggies. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #1,970 of 7,457

Quote:
I use the Matrix with out a dac. My source is the Marantz DV6001 universal player. I did hear the Matrix hooked up to a DACMagic with PC itune source and it was very musical. It was detailed and no hard sound or grain. I hope this helps. All I can say is the Matrix is awesome with the D7000. The bass is very deep and well extended. To me the bass is more extended than my Outlaw sub driving my Maggies. 

You've just inspired me to recommission the dacmagic and audition it with the D7000 - something I have yet to try.  From memory the Dacmagic had a lesser bass presence than the my current Bryston DAC and I thought this move might prove an effective synergy with the D7000.

I was pleasantly surprised to note at fist hearing that indeed the dacmagic managed to tame the slight midbass boom of the D7000 (using the BCL, inspiration to the Matrix).  The sound was very nice and synergies very pleasant.  But....

The more I listened the more it nagged me that the bass has lost a significant degree of control.  To confirm my suspicions the Bryston was engaged again and confirmed my findings.  The D7000 bass rendition is so transparent that over all my other headphones it truly highlighted to me in greater contrast than my other phones how much more control the Byston has in the bass than the Dacmagic.  This does have a slight disadvantage of giving a little more midbass boom but it returns the favor by giving really tight bass.

I always knew the Bryston had a tighter bass than the Dacmagic, but the D7000 truly illustrated haw vast the gap actually is.  This also explains why I couldn't comprehend why some people think the D7000 bass is sloppy when they are using a solid state amplifier - until now I never realised that the problem can also lay in the source.

Also check out some interesting findings in the D7000 in this comparison.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #1,971 of 7,457
Hello! 
smile.gif

After reading most of this thread I just wanted to thank you for all the information.

I'll have a listen to the 7000 monday next week (if they have it in - otherwise I'll order/buy it unheard and try to return it later if I have a problem with it). I will be using the D7000 connected to a (ordered today) NuForce Icon HDP, in turn connected (via stereo RCA) to my OPPO BDP-83SE NuForce Edition. Hoping to get the shivers with this setup.
L3000.gif

My current headphone: Denon AH-D750 - "for Digital" 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #1,972 of 7,457
Headroom has a pair of D7000's open box listed ofr $599.  Might be worth a phone call and a bit of bargaining for someone?

Just an update - I have stopped buying headphones since I got my D7000's.  I like them more and more and more.  I gave up on portable listening and sold my Westone 3's, my DIYMod, and I'm trying to get a refund for my Pico Slim (I'm number 214 in line...).

I'll eventually get a pair of open phones, but no hurry, they don't fit my needs right now, and the D7000's just work so well for what I listen to.

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #1,973 of 7,457
A scientific analysis of the D7000 - Being labeled "fun" for being accurate?

I have owned this headphone for a few months now.  Why is its bass so controversial?  I am still in the midst of a comprehensive subjective and objective analysis of my trio of reference headphones, K701, D7000 and HD650.  All this time I have favored the HD650 over all others for its warmth and non fatiguing properties - there is something also with the HD650 which kept me coming back - I viewed them as very realistic in recreating instruments, even though I new they were not neutral - I now know why.  Recent analysis reveals these particular attributes which are scientific and true to the best of my knowledge, using just my hearing and a new analysis involving the use of our sense of vision.

The K701 - has the most accurate frequency response from the lower mid, all the way up to the center mid.  From the upper mid on - it has a well known flaw.  The best transparency and detailing and  neutrality of the bass depending on one important factor.

The D7000 - has the most accurate frequency response from the center mid, up to upper mids and carries on with the most accurate treble:  One interesting finding I never realised - the fastest transient response, even quicker than the K701's.  The bass also depends upon the same important factor.

The HD650 - is scientifically the worst headphone with excessively softened transients, why then did I feel they were the best then?

The answers and more to come in an upcoming review of headphones, amplifiers and the all important synergy.  I have learned so much in the past couple of days - this review will take a while to compile, when it is done I will post it up.  Now back to work.

D7000 - the new challenger: Master of speed and bass.

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #1,974 of 7,457
hey spwild,  would you rate the HD650 for the average electronica, club, pop, rock, hip-hop,etc...  good enough in the bass areas? I know you can't compete with the Denon's, but I'm not really a bass head myself, so quantity isn't a great deal to me as much as impact/presentation is.

Basically, i need something similar to the denon d7000 /dt990 signature without being too harsh, fatiguing and enjoyable for hours and hours.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #1,975 of 7,457
You last statement "enjoyable for hours and hours" - only the HD650 can do this - but be warned, the treble can be polite.  Yes, I think the bass is good enough, but I also think techno is better served by k701, hip hop by d7000 - the rest always depends on the recording itself.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #1,976 of 7,457

Quote:
You last statement "enjoyable for hours and hours" - only the HD650 can do this - but be warned, the treble can be polite.  Yes, I think the bass is good enough, but I also think techno is better served by k701, hip hop by d7000 - the rest always depends on the recording itself.

that's fine by me. Anything to get away from beyer's treble spikes/brightness/harshness of both my DT880/DT990 would be heaven to my ears. I know I'll be loosing the oomph and the sub bass that the DT990 and DT770 provide, but anything with a decent bass response system + good all-rounder traits would make me very happy.

I'll consider the HD650's in the near future. I'll be looking forward to your impressions

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #1,978 of 7,457
In my opinion, yes.  Because in my collection of techno favorites (Fragma, September, 2 unlimited)  the bass is recorded with a inbuilt boost which counters the, at times, low K701 bass presence.  This leaves all the recorded details in the mid/uppermid inherently recorded to be replayed in all its glory - the D7000 has a lower mid problem and the bass can detract on the focus of detailed riffs.

Hip hop is universally recorded with the intent that people will play it on full range speaker systems (in some cases big 18 inch car subs)  to capture these leading bass riffs requires my Denons.  I still prefer the K701's than 650's for hiphop to capture the menacing anger.

IMHO.

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #1,979 of 7,457

Quote:

I would term them "Dull as DitchWater"

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #1,980 of 7,457
Is anyone using this phone strictly for dance, techno, hip-hop music etc.? After reading this thread, no one seems to think the mids are recessed, but can they still match phones which are consider to have great mids? (eg. AD2000, HiE5 etc.) Mids are important because that's where music lives. I'd hate to loose the great mids I've learned to love, but admittedly the AD2000s could go deeper with more groove, even if I lost some of the bass detail and speed the AD2000s have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back