Denon AH-D7000
May 20, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #1,951 of 7,464

Quote:
Well I dear say I hope you end up loving them! They are really worth getting to know... great you are backed by a 30 day return policy though!

It is your money and ears of course, but I think the D7000 are a phone, depending on your tastes, that might not get a fair chance when compared directly with an open back headphone if you are not well versed in their sound. Recently I have been really into closed headphones, and I have noticed that they can at times seem less clear and open than open headphones, especially at higher volumes (duh, I know)... but open headphones lack a richness... a contiguity just something that makes the music sound so right. I do tend to keep the volume low with the closed ones though... but I guess its a win win situation for my hearing and enjoyment.

Also, I don't know what your primary genre is, but be sure to include some really bass heavy, and really bass light tracks. Some tracks will sound bloated with them, but other tracks will sound so rich, fleshed out and organic. Be sure you get a good feel on how they will react to the majority of your collection.

Hey sokolov,

I see you have the STX.  I have the D2X (i had a 5.1 system at one point), and since the d2X and STX are somewhat similar, which amp do find best with the d7000's?  Looking for input from lots of people, thanks!

May 20, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #1,952 of 7,464

Quote:
Well I dear say I hope you end up loving them! They are really worth getting to know... great you are backed by a 30 day return policy though!

It is your money and ears of course, but I think the D7000 are a phone, depending on your tastes, that might not get a fair chance when compared directly with an open back headphone if you are not well versed in their sound. Recently I have been really into closed headphones, and I have noticed that they can at times seem less clear and open than open headphones, especially at higher volumes (duh, I know)... but open headphones lack a richness... a contiguity just something that makes the music sound so right. I do tend to keep the volume low with the closed ones though... but I guess its a win win situation for my hearing and enjoyment.

Also, I don't know what your primary genre is, but be sure to include some really bass heavy, and really bass light tracks. Some tracks will sound bloated with them, but other tracks will sound so rich, fleshed out and organic. Be sure you get a good feel on how they will react to the majority of your collection.

I spent the afternoon at Head Flier Bako and Ross was gracious enough to let me listen to the HE5-LE and I was impressed that the Matrix handled them with no problem and they sound fantastic. The Denon need the hours for a fair comparison and yes one is open and closed.

May 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #1,953 of 7,464

Quote:

Hey sokolov,

I see you have the STX.  I have the D2X (i had a 5.1 system at one point), and since the d2X and STX are somewhat similar, which amp do find best with the d7000's?  Looking for input from lots of people, thanks!

Hey man. I actually have not used the D7000 with my STX much because my computer is heavily overlocked and has like12 fans and I get interferance noise in the RCA outs now. I am still trying to find a solution for this. However, all the amps I have used with the RCA outs have sounded really good minus that one flaw, tons of detail and slam. The best by a fair margin has been the Concerto, second is the GHCA and last would be the LD MKV I had.

I think no matter which quality amp you go with you will get a nice upgrade to your sound, and the more expensive you can the better. I have only heard the D7000 on my own amps so far, but the D7000 out of the Concerto is really something else.

May 21, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #1,954 of 7,464

Quote:
Just received my D7000 too. I love them as I did when I first heard them at my first headphone meet in California. Such an exciting headphone to listen to. And luxurious looking too. Now to obtain a DT880 600ohm Manufaktur as well as modding these via LA and JMoney pads!

Wow, were those mine?  I got there very late, like 3 pm or something.  I think mine were the only pair there at that time.  It was a fun meet!  I'm glad you liked them enough to get your own pair.  I like them more and more.

On another note - has anyone here had the chance to try these with one of the few Pico Slims that have shipped?  I tried the Slim with the ESW10's Justin had at the meet, and it was great, but I didn't have the good sense to try my D7000's.  I'm just curious, as I am sceptical that it will be a good pairing.  It's not my primary amp, but I have one of the first 250 on the way (back when I was going to jmp on the JH13 bandwagon), and I've about decided to sell it before I get it, as portable use is no longer a priority for me.

I'd love to hear if anyone has had the chance to try this pairing.

May 21, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #1,955 of 7,464

Quote:
I spent the afternoon at Head Flier Bako and Ross was gracious enough to let me listen to the HE5-LE and I was impressed that the Matrix handled them with no problem and they sound fantastic. The Denon need the hours for a fair comparison and yes one is open and closed.

Quote:

Hey sokolov,

Quote:

It is your money and ears of course, but I think the D7000 are a phone, depending on your tastes, that might not get a fair chance when compared directly with an open back headphone if you are not well versed in their sound. Recently I have been really but other tracks will sound so rich, fleshed out and organic. Be sure you get a good feel on how they will react to the majority of your collection.

I have started to notice the bass is getting much tighter. It really sounds good on well recorded albums when you want to hear detailed bass, I also notice some sibilance on female vocals and I am sure they still need at least another 75 or so in burn in hours. Hoping that disappears. Kind of weird not present on male vocals. I am giving them the hours they need to make a fair evaluation. But I am liking them more each day. When they first came I said these will go back not so sure yet. The mids are so slighty recessed and that is not an issue for me.

May 22, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #1,956 of 7,464
With regards to the sibilance for some reason on my dac (Bryston BDA-1) I have to turn upsampling off for the treble to sound a little more natural on the D7000.  With the upsampling turned on the trebles is very artificial and unnatural with the D7000.  With other phones the upsampling is not as critical to treble quality as it is with the D7000's. 

For those using the M-stage, perhaps those dip switches will have an effect as well - on the BCL I have discovered that the dipswitches must be set to maximum gain to further naturalise the treble.  At the moment The D7000 is a no-go with full valve amps as the treble is to "sheeny" as well as the bass being very underdamped.  SS seems to be the way to go with D7000 (a bass articulation issue) but I had great results with a hybrid tube/ss Vincent KHV111 (a warm amp).

May 24, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #1,957 of 7,464

Quote:
Hey man. I actually have not used the D7000 with my STX much because my computer is heavily overlocked and has like12 fans and I get interferance noise in the RCA outs now. I am still trying to find a solution for this. However, all the amps I have used with the RCA outs have sounded really good minus that one flaw, tons of detail and slam. The best by a fair margin has been the Concerto, second is the GHCA and last would be the LD MKV I had.

I think no matter which quality amp you go with you will get a nice upgrade to your sound, and the more expensive you can the better. I have only heard the D7000 on my own amps so far, but the D7000 out of the Concerto is really something else.

Thanks sokolov!  I too receive alot of static from the minijack out on my D2X, I have a q6600 oc'd to 3.8ghz in an antec 1200, so plenty of fans as well.  I was looking at the concerto and then saw the symphony.2.  I looks like some nice piece of equipment with a DAC as well, so I can ditch the D2X.  Thinking of going for the symphony.2 now.  Thanks for ur info!

May 24, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #1,958 of 7,464

Quote:

Thanks sokolov!  I too receive alot of static from the minijack out on my D2X, I have a q6600 oc'd to 3.8ghz in an antec 1200, so plenty of fans as well.  I was looking at the concerto and then saw the symphony.2.  I looks like some nice piece of equipment with a DAC as well, so I can ditch the D2X.  Thinking of going for the symphony.2 now.  Thanks for ur info!

It would be cheaper to buy a stagedac and a concerto at the same time as you get a different price of 1215 $USD... and you get Jans latest and greatest... if having two diff unites doesn't bother you, it is a better route to go IMO.

I am thinking about maybe buying a second PSU for my STX or for my fans and graphics card to see if I can get rid of the noise before spending a lot of money on a DAC. Still just a consideration though.

I have and E8400 OC'd to 4.1 ghz with a 4890 and tons of fans. I have a standard antec 850 watt psu right now.

May 24, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #1,959 of 7,464

Quote:

It would be cheaper to buy a stagedac and a concerto at the same time as you get a different price of 1215 $USD... and you get Jans latest and greatest... if having two diff unites doesn't bother you, it is a better route to go IMO.

I am thinking about maybe buying a second PSU for my STX or for my fans and graphics card to see if I can get rid of the noise before spending a lot of money on a DAC. Still just a consideration though.

I have and E8400 OC'd to 4.1 ghz with a 4890 and tons of fans. I have a standard antec 850 watt psu right now.

Nice OC, i got a 4870x2 and corsair 1000w, i got a spare 500watt somewhere, i might try ur idea and split up the power.  thanks for the stagedac suggestion, will look into that.

Jun 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #1,960 of 7,464
As I mentioned earlier, I tried the HD800s and The D7000s at the last meet; and for my [rather specialized] desires/function, they are a nice fit for me. So I finally got the scratch together and picked up a set of markl D7000s.

Couple of things:
1) Has anyone who has the J$ pads or marklmod pads noticed that rotating the pads by more then 15-20 degrees changes the bass and sub 600hz trapping? Rotating the opening so that it's straight up and down or slightly forward reduces LF tone, while rotating it back (similar to your ear) induces more, maybe a difference of 1db or so. Somewhat logical cause of how the those pads push, but food for thought if you are trying to fine tune the bass and bottom end of the midrange just a bit more. Take it too far and it reminds me of the Grado sound where there is a slight hole in the 400hz range.

2) What SS only amps would be recommended? I had a D10 from ibasso that I like (since I use coax and optical) but that was bought for the anticipation that I would be traveling this year and that's been changed so I don't need a portable unit. I've read that some recommend the general audio gd dac/amps, but I'm curious what else is out there, especially cold/fast dac/amps (I'd get a lavry d11 if I had the coin, but my next big purchase will be more recording gear so nothing pricy). I understand that some folks like a hybrid or tube amp with these, and thats fine, but I couldn't see puting anyting that warms the sound or raises the bass any with these cans.

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #1,962 of 7,464
I have a borrowed D7000 here for a week or two. I must say, the mids and treble section is very nice and musical (although not overly high res compared to some other big balls HPs)...but I really hate that boomy and slow deep bass. That is is almost as bad as a Proline 900.

Jun 5, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #1,963 of 7,464

Quote:
I have a borrowed D7000 here for a week or two. I must say, the mids and treble section is very nice and musical (although not overly high res compared to some other big balls HPs)...but I really hate that boomy and slow deep bass. That is is almost as bad as a Proline 900.

The MarkL Mods will fix that.

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #1,964 of 7,464
Yes, I guess so, but that can in question isn't mine...
tongue.gif
   Overall, I think a "fixed" D7000 would be rather of my liking than the clinical HD800 & T1.

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #1,965 of 7,464

Quote:
The MarkL Mods will fix that.

Somewhat at any rate. I've noticed on his D5000 and lesser on the 7000s that the denons still exhibit a fluffy thunder in the deep sub bass region (say, from 30hz down). I'm working from memory which is notoriously suspect, but if I already had stock Denon's and I was on a war against bass, I'd get the J$ pads first before. I played with some recordings and can still get my marklmod 7ks to exhibit the fluffyness that people don't like, but only under about 30hz which most commercial music is lacking, but I don't recall the same effect with those recordings with a stock set of J$ pads at the meet (which to be fair was at a meet with chatty nerds) 
biggrin.gif

ymmv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back