Denon AH-D7000
May 14, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #1,921 of 7,464

Quote:
The D7000 and W1000X both sound terrific with the Concerto.  I think they sound better still with the Leben - but that really isn't a fair comparison, given that the Leben is 5x the cost of the Concerto.  The Concerto does a great job with both.

What exactly would you say is improved, and does the leben have a "tube" sound? Is it more musical/warm/lush or is it more detailed/refined/imaged?

Also I gotta ask you, why don't you have any balanced headphones 0_o???

Thanks

May 14, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #1,922 of 7,464

Quote:
I will be getting around to doing a fully thorough review of The D7000 and will compare it at length to the W1000X.

Can't really say which one I like best at this point, but the comments about build quality and craftsmanship are very true. W1000X is gorgeous and built amazingly... D7000 looks  pretty nice too but the build quality sucks.

I don't think either of them would suit a tube amp, but that is just my opinion. 

To me D7000 build quality is far better than dx1000.
Dx1000 use fake leather and their headband is fragile while d7000 use genuine leather and the headband seems to use metal.
The wood on d7000 look nicer than dx1000 too.
However, I still slightly prefer the sound of dx1000 over d7000.(better soundstage , better bass)
L3000.gif

May 15, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #1,923 of 7,464
I took a leave from head-fi for about 2-3 months now, because about 2-3 months ago, i bought the d7000's.  I have been enjoying them every bit since then, but I need a real amp, and the iBasso portable d10 is not cutting it.  I'm looking somewhere around the $500 range, anywhere lower or a little bit higher is ok.  Please offer some suggestions, I've been looking for the past 2-3 months but i'm just confused.  I think i'm going with the SS route since tube amps seem a little fragile and I tend to be afraid of fragile things.... thanks!

oh yea forgot to add, i'm using xonar d2x as a source....

May 15, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #1,924 of 7,464

Yeah but its like poo instead of diarrhea.... they are both bad but one is better....

D7000 is not real leather AFAIK and the things around the cups and headband are plastic... I would know because the second day I got it it scratched a little in the way really cheap plastic does. For 1000$, or any amount of money, the build quality is pathetic IMO. 

No reason all heaphones can't be made with the quality of higher end audio technica or the Sony SA5K... even the HD 600 with its plastic and cheap metal are far more durable and better build. Now, looks are something else. D7000 is gorgeous
Quote:
To me D7000 build quality is far better than dx1000.
Dx1000 use fake leather and their headband is fragile while d7000 use genuine leather and the headband seems to use metal.
The wood on d7000 look nicer than dx1000 too.
However, I still slightly prefer the sound of dx1000 over d7000.(better soundstage , better bass)
L3000.gif

May 15, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #1,925 of 7,464

Quote:
Yeah but its like poo instead of diarrhea.... they are both bad but one is better....

D7000 is not real leather AFAIK and the things around the cups and headband are plastic... I would know because the second day I got it it scratched a little in the way really cheap plastic does. For 1000$, or any amount of money, the build quality is pathetic IMO. 

No reason all heaphones can't be made with the quality of higher end audio technica or the Sony SA5K... even the HD 600 with its plastic and cheap metal are far more durable and better build. Now, looks are something else. D7000 is gorgeous

Quote:
I took a leave from head-fi for about 2-3 months now, because about 2-3 months ago, i bought the d7000's.  I have been enjoying them every bit since then, but I need a real amp, and the iBasso portable d10 is not cutting it.  I'm looking somewhere around the $500 range, anywhere lower or a little bit higher is ok.  Please offer some suggestions, I've been looking for the past 2-3 months but i'm just confused.  I think i'm going with the SS route since tube amps seem a little fragile and I tend to be afraid of fragile things.... thanks!

oh yea forgot to add, i'm using xonar d2x as a source....

I just bought the M Stage Matix. I can tell you it brought the 701 to another level. I cant imagine another amp for 270.00 that will bve better and honestly I cant see spending hundreds more for only subtle improvements. Best buy in every way

May 15, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #1,926 of 7,464
Follow the for sale section, and find a Dynalo.  Mine is a MisterX build, and is excellent.  I paid about $200 used, typical high quality DIY.  You can also look for a used Headamp Gilmore Lite, and I think somone else is now offering a retail manufactured Dynalo.  A fine pairing!

May 16, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #1,927 of 7,464

Quote:
Well, I'm back in the Denon D7000 fold. I just ended up missing their rich, lush and bassy presentation too much. I am glad to have them back on the roster!

Hopefully they should arrive from Headroom tomorrow.

So the T1 doesn't satisfy that need for the lush accurate bass?

May 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #1,928 of 7,464
I would not classify the bass as overly lush, but very accurate. I would say that the T1s are very balanced and just slightly on the lush side. I just missed a really coloured and fun headphone (BTW, the bass is no where as accurate as the T1/HD800 IMO). Nothing more, nothing less
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #1,929 of 7,464

Quote:
I would not classify the bass as overly lush. I would say that the T1s are very balanced and just slightly on the lush side. I just missed a really coloured and fun headphone. Nothing more, nothing less
biggrin.gif

How about just basic freqency extension accuracy of the sub-bass region (30~40Hz)? Is it prominent enough or does it roll off after 40Hz or so?

May 16, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #1,930 of 7,464
The sub bass on the T1s is quite a bit better, deeper and more controlled/defined. The D7000s are mini subwoofers (even though they are sloppier and not as deep than the T1s, they are incredibly fun).

May 16, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #1,931 of 7,464
Right - the T1 has a very accurate bass.  The D7000 has more bass weight than the T1, and more than is probably strictly accurate - but they are an awful lot of fun!

May 16, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #1,932 of 7,464
Which is why I bought them again
L3000.gif
. Just to confirm, the bass is NOT sloppy on the D7000s, just not as tight (so sloppier) than the T1s. I love my Westone 3 IEMs (my favourite IEMs) and the D7000s are the closed full sized headphone to them I've ever heard.

According to UPS, they should arrive tomorrow.
biggrin.gif
  Thanks to Tyll and the gang at Headroom for outstanding customer service (again). Shipped them out within 1 hour of my order. These guys are real pros!

May 16, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #1,933 of 7,464

Quote:
Which is why I bought them again
L3000.gif
. Just to confirm, the bass is NOT sloppy on the D7000s, just not as tight (so sloppier) than the T1s.

Agree fully.  The only closed headphone I know which has similar bass weight but a "tighter" bass is the Ed 8.  The D7000 bass is pretty tight, really. 

May 16, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #1,934 of 7,464

Yeah I think they are pretty tight too, not the tightest but for what they give, very tight... just the weight/mass produced by the lower/very low frequencies really make it seem like it is loose at times, but if you listen to dynamic and fast paced music it is clear that this is not actually the case.

Songs/recordings also make or break this. A song with a lot of mid bass can sound pretty muddy, but well recorded bass that goes low really shine on these. Male vocals and acoustic instruments REALLY shine on them IMO.

Singers who smoke a lot and etc can general really low frequencies when they slow down their singing and a lot of headphones don't pick this up. Acoustic instruments are awesome too, especially percussion because you actually hear the initial deep deep hz come and fade as it should.

After all when you get down to 20-30 hz it is just as much movement as it is sound as we lose our capacity to hear it.
Quote:

Agree fully.  The only closed headphone I know which has similar bass weight but a "tighter" bass is the Ed 8.  The D7000 bass is pretty tight, really. 

May 18, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #1,935 of 7,464
So I listened to Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath last night...kind of a tribute to the late RJ Dio) with the D7000s and boy these are incredibly fun cans! Deep and powerful subwoofer-like bass and sparkling treble. Very similar to the Westone 3s (my favourite IEMs) in terms of style and presentation.

They are not balanced/neutral IMO, but boy are they fun and a great change of pace. I'm glad to have them back on the roster!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back