Denon AH-D7000
Jun 19, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #1,982 of 7,464

Quote:
I didn't appreciate the "recessed mids" until I heard the HE-5. Then it was undeniable.

I only really notice the recessed mids when listening to them right after my T1s or Shure SE535s. But those two are the best full sized headphones and IEMs with regards to mids. They are only slightly recessed IMO and only noticeable when comparing them to some of the very best mids out there.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #1,984 of 7,464

Quote:
Is anyone using this phone strictly for dance, techno, hip-hop music etc.? After reading this thread, no one seems to think the mids are recessed, but can they still match phones which are consider to have great mids? (eg. AD2000, HiE5 etc.) Mids are important because that's where music lives. I'd hate to loose the great mids I've learned to love, but admittedly the AD2000s could go deeper with more groove, even if I lost some of the bass detail and speed the AD2000s have.

I thought the D7000 mids were slightly recessed, but not at all recessed with my LA7000, which sound very close to my HE-5 LE other than slightly more bass in the LA7000 once I removed the grill clothe from the HE-5 LE.  With the LA7000 the bass speed and detail is improved over stock, and the mids are fuller and richer, while detail and treble extension is improved as well.  If you can't afford the LA7000 and don't need closed phones, the HE-5 LE will come the closest to their sound.

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #1,985 of 7,464
Well... I have a bit of income coming in this summer from various tutoring and intern gigs, so I pulled the trigger today on a brand new pair of Denon D7000 from J&R - the price came out to $593 with free shipping, and they are scheduled to arrive in the middle of next week. These will be my first pair of truly expensive headphones. I'll be placing an order in a day or two for a DAC and an amp.

Words cannot describe how excited I am. This makes all of the work more than worth it. Happy summer, everyone!
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #1,986 of 7,464

Quote:
Well... I have a bit of income coming in this summer from various tutoring and intern gigs, so I pulled the trigger today on a brand new pair of Denon D7000 from J&R - the price came out to $593 with free shipping, and they are scheduled to arrive in the middle of next week. These will be my first pair of truly expensive headphones. I'll be placing an order in a day or two for a DAC and an amp.

Words cannot describe how excited I am. This makes all of the work more than worth it. Happy summer, everyone!
L3000.gif

Outstanding Price and Outstanding choice, despite your Avatar!

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #1,987 of 7,464

Quote:

L3000.gif

Nice Score!  You will very likely really dig them.  I loved mine out of the box, and they have gotten better with time.  I use the J$ pads and like them for the most part.  Greater comfort for me, smooth the bass just a bit, but I think they pull a bit of midrange sometimes.  In general, a nice improvement, but not as necessary as I have claimed in the past.  The D7000's are a heck of a headphone value IMHO.  For cost reasons, I prefer solid state, as I run mine with a pretty inexpensive used, MisterX built dynalo, from a CA DacMagic.  I've listened to mine with some pretty exquisite tube amplification and higher end sources, and they respond famously to the high end tube gear.  It just seems to my ear and limited exposure that the tube gear needs to be higher end than the solid state gear for the same level of sound quality.  I could be all wet, though, or just subconsciously justifying my set-up...  As to my set-up, I haven't had the gear trade desire fora while now, I'm pretty settled in with what I have.  My current fixation has moved to building a modest speaker rig that punches above it's price point.  Great fun for me.  Building a rig that punches well above it's retail cost is always fun for me.  I digress from my congratulations - Enjoy!

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #1,988 of 7,464

Quote:

L3000.gif

Nice score! Great price for truly amazing cans (my favourite closed headphones)!

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #1,989 of 7,464
Thanks all. I'm truly very pleased with my decision. I think I'll buy the Audio GD DAC19 + C2 amp combo to pair with these cans. That will decimate a third of my paycheck. The other 2/3 will hopefully go towards less frivolous things.... like a college tuition.
redface.gif
God bless my parents for wholeheartedly supporting my hobby, even when they are completely baffled by it.

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #1,990 of 7,464
Well done, and an interesting tidbit I just noticed; for the next DC meetup, we now have the potential for a stock J$, a stock, and a marklmod setup to compare.

I'm going to be a cheapskate and get the FUN now that I'm not traveling as much.

edit: typo

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #1,991 of 7,464

Quote:
Well done, and an interesting tidbit I just noticed; for the next DC meetup, we now have the potential for a stock J$, a stock, and a marklmod setup to compare.

I'm going to be a cheapskate and get the FUN now that I'm not traveling as much.

edit: typo

FUN is a very nice piece of gear, you made a nice choice there.

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #1,992 of 7,464
I spent some time listening the other day, which just doesn't happen as often as it should, or as often as I'd like.  I really love these headphones.  I highly detailed, warm sound, with perhaps a slight overabundance of bass.  If I could coax a tiny nit more midrange out of them, they would go from astounding to perfect in my book.

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #1,993 of 7,464
They came today! Finally!
smile_phones.gif

That is the good news. The bad news is that I don't have a single available source in the house to accommodate the 1/4 jack of the D7000. My Audio GD DAC and amp are still in transit. I don't think I'll get a chance to listen to them until the middle of next week, at the earliest.
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #1,995 of 7,464

Quote:
dude.  seriously?
go to radioshack and buy an adapter!

Quote:
They came today! Finally!
smile_phones.gif

That is the good news. The bad news is that I don't have a single available source in the house to accommodate the 1/4 jack of the D7000. My Audio GD DAC and amp are still in transit. I don't think I'll get a chance to listen to them until the middle of next week, at the earliest.
frown.gif

Yeah go get one ASAP, and don't you for one second worry about the sound quality being degraded with an adapter. Nothing worse than to not truly appreciate a new toy due to unfounded fears and speculation!

BTW, glad to read you finally got them! I hope you really enjoy them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back