Denon AH-D7000
Feb 21, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #1,651 of 7,457
My cousin got my phones. He will then send them to me?

Does anyone have any ideas why the package from j&r is so heavy? According to the UPS tracking site, the package is around 4.9lbs. That's too heavy for a pair of phones. And the Denon doesn't include any special travel box (e.g. the box that come with ATH-W5000 or MDR-CD3000 and etc).

Thank you

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #1,653 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some tips on swapping pads and their plastic mounting ring in my J$ pad review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/min...-d7000-443275/

Thanks, ordered J$ for d7000's last thursday, getting them wednesday,that will help!

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #1,654 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My cousin got my phones. He will then send them to me?

Does anyone have any ideas why the package from j&r is so heavy? According to the UPS tracking site, the package is around 4.9lbs. That's too heavy for a pair of phones. And the Denon doesn't include any special travel box (e.g. the box that come with ATH-W5000 or MDR-CD3000 and etc).

Thank you

It comes a "nice" (I guess) "gift box" that weighs a lot. Mine was 6 lb from Headroom.

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #1,655 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I also notice sibilance with my D7000s. I've EQ'd 5kHz and 7kHz down 2dB and it helps with a lot of songs. I do agree that if a song has sibilance, the D7000s will bring it out. Pink Floyd is never sibilant, but sometimes it's hard to listen to Pearl Jam. Such a shame since Eddie Vedder is one of my favorite singers.

I'm glad to hear that the J$ pads help with the sibilance. I received my pair last Tuesday but I haven't been able to get the stock pads off (finger injury has left my right hand nearly unusable for a while) but I'm patiently waiting for the chance to make the swap. Until then I'm just rolling tubes and seeing what kind of changes they make with the D7000s.

What do you use for an EQ? Software, hardware? Note I'm a Mac guy, use itunes, don't use the iTunes EQ.

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #1,656 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm back again. I put the J$ pads on the D7000's. It tames? calms? tempers? the bass a bit - only positive, whatever it does to the bass. They help the sibilance as well. They also seem to increase sound stage just a little. I noticed all the same with the D5000's. I think it all comes from moving the drivers just a little further from my ears, and maybe angling them a bit?

Further thoughts on sibilance - the D7000's just accentuate what exists in a song. I think I had a bad run of music last night, I just shuffled my entire lossless play list. The difference to me, is that the D7000's don't have the mid-bass smear that the D5000's do, at least to me. Without the bass spillover, the sibilance is much more present. Basically, it is just masked a bit in the D5000's, and is front center and accurate, there for everyone (or at least me...) to hear in the D7000's. If the vocals or cymbals are sibilant, the D7000's show it.

I see the beginnings of a search for "excellent recordings." Well mastered, well mic'd, well recorded music. The D7000's are the most detailed and accurate colored (or so I read) phones I've had. I also have a recent source upgrade to the Musical Fidelity V-Dac, which appears to be a very "truthful" source. I think I'm nearing the top of midfi, anyway...

More thoughts on the J$’s – I like them! They are more comfortable to me, in the same way a firm sports car or truck seat is compared to a flabby low end sedan seat. The drivers are a bit further away, so they are les fatiguing to me, along with the comments noted above regarding driver position. They are firmer, and deeper, so the clamp on the headband is ever so slightly more secure, in a good way. There are definite sonic benefits to my ears.

I was giving serious thoughts to Markl’ing the D5000’s, either instead of getting the D7000’s, or since I now have the D7000’s, doing it to determine which I like better. For my tastes, I think the D7000 gets me most of the way there. I may experiment with a bit of damping later, or not.

Lastly, what is with the right ear cup to headband screw in Denons? Brand new, out of the box it is loose. Same with the D5000’s! The only decent way to tighten it is to remove the wood cup so as not to mar it up. Sheesh! I know it’s not that hard to deal with – a little lock-tite would solve the issue from the factory, instead of from my garage…

End Result? My D5000’s are for sale, I’m keeping the D7000’s.

I also do notice the sibilance and its not really bugging me me I do notice it almost every time. But I haven't decided to go with the J$ yet because I am loving the bass as it is right now. People say after using the J$ earpads the bass loses its thump? Is that true? Also is the sibilance pretty much gone after the changing of earpads?

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #1,657 of 7,457
Quote:

What do you use for an EQ? Software, hardware? Note I'm a Mac guy, use itunes, don't use the iTunes EQ.

I just use the software EQ in Foobar. It seems to do the trick in taking the 'edge' off of certain voices.

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #1,658 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyxix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also do notice the sibilance and its not really bugging me me I do notice it almost every time. But I haven't decided to go with the J$ yet because I am loving the bass as it is right now. People say after using the J$ earpads the bass loses its thump? Is that true? Also is the sibilance pretty much gone after the changing of earpads?

The J$'s are mandatory for me. I hate pleather, and the stockers are jsut too soft for me. My ears are just too close to the drivers. Does it kill the thump? Nah, not as far as I'm concerned. My opinion - if you like Denons, it is the best $65ish (shipped) you can spend on them.

I suspect you wouldn't take more than a $10 or $15 loss to try them, maybe even less. They seem to sell quickly in the FS forum.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #1,659 of 7,457
Quote:

It comes a "nice" (I guess) "gift box" that weighs a lot. Mine was 6 lb from Headroom.

which in my eyes are pretty useless since they serve no purpose.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #1,660 of 7,457
Quote:

Sorry. NOT! Worth it to me. I figure it cost me another $3xx over the D5000's, depending on what they sell for. A bunch of people seem to be trying the D7000's lately. There may be a few pair come up used in the next few weeks...

I can not find any info on MisterX Dynalo, you mind directing me?
darthsmile.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #1,661 of 7,457
Quote:

The J$'s are mandatory for me. I hate pleather, and the stockers are jsut too soft for me. My ears are just too close to the drivers. Does it kill the thump? Nah, not as far as I'm concerned. My opinion - if you like Denons, it is the best $65ish (shipped) you can spend on them.

I totally agree. The JMoney pads make the D7000 an even better headphone than the already excellent stock version.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #1,664 of 7,457
I just pull the trigger... I finally ordered D7000..
I can't wait to compare it with my other cans..
Thank you everyone in the headfi for help me decide..
I am just hoping I made a right choice..
It wasn't cheap...

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #1,665 of 7,457
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just pull the trigger... I finally ordered D7000..
I can't wait to compare it with my other cans..

I think you will love them. I noticed that you owned the Westone 3s and IMO, the D7000s would be the full can version. A full home theater in a headphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back