Denon AH-D7000
Jul 6, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #1,156 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since Canada has separate distribution (Different importer than the US) I'd be surprised if J&R will ship Denon to Canada. As far as Denon USA and Denon Canada is concerned J&R shipping to Canada is Trans-shipping, and it is strictly forbidden by almost every Dealer Agreement that I've ever seen.

They might do it, but I seriously doubt it. If you want a set from J&R you'll need a US shipping address.

I got mine by ordering directly through J&R website, and in less than 24 hours after they shipped it. Other Canadians have also ordered with no problems.

Jul 6, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #1,157 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine by ordering directly through J&R website, and in less than 24 hours after they shipped it. Other Canadians have also ordered with no problems.

Shhhh.... Be very quiet. Denon Canada might hear us.
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #1,158 of 7,464
...I've waited to post because it felt too good to be true, but I called J&R last Thursday, got "the deal", and they went out on Friday. I should be listening to them tonight!

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #1,159 of 7,464
Ok, initial impressions of D7000s right out of the box, listened to about 30 tracks. I'm using WA6 w/Sophia + Pico DAC. My headphone comparisons are Senn HD650, Ultrasone 750 Pros, Ultimate Ears Triple.fis (and Grado SR80 but not fair comparison).

Fit: very comfortable; looser fitting than I might have expected even after reading the threads; seems like a perfect fit, don't want it to be any looser.

Isolation: quite a bit less than Ultrasones, more than Senns, in terms of outside sound being blocked. Not an issue for me.

Bass: very good; not as fast or hard hitting as Ultrasones, but more pleasant, tighter, more textured; if it improves in the next 200 hours that would be great; i was expecting maybe more bass but i don't think it is lacking; doesn't seem to have the mid-bass lift of the Senns, need more time on this though;

Soundstage: almost seems like an open phone; i have heard some surprising things already but can't put them into words yet;

Highs: much better than Ultrasone 750s in terms of naturalness and focused detail; complaint though is some sibilance but this seems minor and I'm expecting it to fade as thing burn in; if they don't this might be an issue for me; it's only hitting on certain syllables of certain tracks, but a significant number of different tracks. hopefully this certain frequency range will relax in time.

Presentation: more forward than Senns, more laid back than Ultrasones. seem like a good balance;

Looks: killer

I'm sure these impressions are subject to change... More later...

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #1,160 of 7,464
Got mine today. I did a direct comparison to my D5000's I had for a few months. All I can say is I now truely believe in burn-in as the D7000 out of the box is quite a bit harsher than my D5000's (treble in particular). I remember being a little disappointed in the D5000 when I first got them, I even started a thread asking if the treble smooths out with burn-in as I found it too edgy (it did smooth out). So the moral here is, don't judge these before several days of constant burn-in at a minimum. Assuming the same thing happens with the D7000 that happened with the D5000, the treble smooths out a lot and the sound opens up- an overal more refined presentation.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #1,161 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by airstream66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, initial impressions of D7000s right out of the box, listened to about 30 tracks. I'm using WA6 w/Sophia + Pico DAC. My headphone comparisons are Senn HD650, Ultrasone 750 Pros, Ultimate Ears Triple.fis (and Grado SR80 but not fair comparison).

Fit: very comfortable; looser fitting than I might have expected even after reading the threads; seems like a perfect fit, don't want it to be any looser.

Isolation: quite a bit less than Ultrasones, more than Senns, in terms of outside sound being blocked. Not an issue for me.

Bass: very good; not as fast or hard hitting as Ultrasones, but more pleasant, tighter, more textured; if it improves in the next 200 hours that would be great; i was expecting maybe more bass but i don't think it is lacking; doesn't seem to have the mid-bass lift of the Senns, need more time on this though;

Soundstage: almost seems like an open phone; i have heard some surprising things already but can't put them into words yet;

Highs: much better than Ultrasone 750s in terms of naturalness and focused detail; complaint though is some sibilance but this seems minor and I'm expecting it to fade as thing burn in; if they don't this might be an issue for me; it's only hitting on certain syllables of certain tracks, but a significant number of different tracks. hopefully this certain frequency range will relax in time.

Presentation: more forward than Senns, more laid back than Ultrasones. seem like a good balance;

Looks: killer

I'm sure these impressions are subject to change... More later...

Do you find fine details more apparent in the D7000 or the HD650 (is the trbel more refined in one over the other)?

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #1,162 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I've waited to post because it felt too good to be true, but I called J&R last Thursday, got "the deal", and they went out on Friday. I should be listening to them tonight!

haha congrats 'cuz i traded mine for vintage rs-1 so you won't be hearin' my set!...enjoy 'em...they look great!...

can't say i'm not tempted by "the deal" though
bigsmile_face.gif
...are any of you guys tryin' to talk your way into the $525 price?...

p.s. there's a latch on the plastic around the box
redface.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #1,163 of 7,464
Random observation: The D7000s have maybe a rare combination of power and delicacy. They are detailed and delicate sounding where they should be and firm where they should be in terms of pace or timing.

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #1,164 of 7,464
Has anyone had their AH-D7000's modded by MarkL?

I'm very happy with the sound of my 7000's, but I do want to have them re-cabled (Both because I need them Balanced and I know that cables make a huge difference). I am a ham fisted individual so I'd really prefer paying to have a skilled tech do the actual re-cable. While searching for a someone to re-cable my 7000's I have to look into MarkL (Lawton) doing the work (he has probably done more work on Denon's than anyone else), and if MarkL does my re-cable it would be easy to have him perform his modifications on it as well.

So does anyone have experience with these mods? I am so digging my stock 7000's, the prospect of making them even a little better intrigues me. I'm worried however that the mods might ruin what I already like so much.

So any thoughts on these mods?

Thanks

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #1,165 of 7,464
I have had a full 5000 done, very good experience and would do so again. (by Lawton Audio)

Burn in time being equal, the Markl mod really shines at higher volumes as the driver isn't fighting itself as much. Also the taper mod gives you more distinct treble. I extensively A/B the Markl5000 and a stock 7000 - happy with either really, but at higher volumes the markl 5000 is in much better control of itself

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #1,166 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone had their AH-D7000's modded by MarkL?

I'm very happy with the sound of my 7000's, but I do want to have them re-cabled (Both because I need them Balanced and I know that cables make a huge difference). I am a ham fisted individual so I'd really prefer paying to have a skilled tech do the actual re-cable. While searching for a someone to re-cable my 7000's I have to look into MarkL (Lawton) doing the work (he has probably done more work on Denon's than anyone else), and if MarkL does my re-cable it would be easy to have him perform his modifications on it as well.

So does anyone have experience with these mods? I am so digging my stock 7000's, the prospect of making them even a little better intrigues me. I'm worried however that the mods might ruin what I already like so much.

So any thoughts on these mods?

Thanks

I just re cabled my D5000s with Cardas 4x24. I have the stuff to do the MarkL mods to mine. I also have the LA7000s from Mark as part of his Loaner program. It makes quite a difference to the sound. I was perfectly happy with mt D5000s till I heard the 7000s. I had all the stuff to do the mods, just never did it. Now it's been stepped up on my priority list of things to do. The bass is made much tighter and the mid range gets much more clarity and loses a thickness that I didn't even know was there. Soundstage is greatly unproved also. I had problems I didn't know I had till I had both cans in my hand.

Send me a PM with your Phone number or I can give you mine if you want further info. The mods make a night and day difference and I'm definitely getting geared up to do mine. I think my changing of the cable tightened the bass a bit.

Les

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #1,167 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by emelius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha congrats 'cuz i traded mine for vintage rs-1 so you won't be hearin' my set!...enjoy 'em...they look great!...

can't say i'm not tempted by "the deal" though
bigsmile_face.gif
...are any of you guys tryin' to talk your way into the $525 price?...

p.s. there's a latch on the plastic around the box
redface.gif

Ha! Well, if I was going to have to pay $999 or even $749 for a set I would have borrowed yours first. However, paying what I did for them felt very, very good. Now I have a few pairs of $1K 'phones that I bought for about half...

I might have to hear your vintage RS-1's sometime though...

By the way, I have a Headroom BUDA on order and balanced HD650's and Manufaktur DT880 600-ohm balanced to go with it. I'm REALLY curious about balanced vs single-ended.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #1,168 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just re cabled my D5000s with Cardas 4x24. I have the stuff to do the MarkL mods to mine. I also have the LA7000s from Mark as part of his Loaner program. It makes quite a difference to the sound. I was perfectly happy with mt D5000s till I heard the 7000s. I had all the stuff to do the mods, just never did it. Now it's been stepped up on my priority list of things to do. The bass is made much tighter and the mid range gets much more clarity and loses a thickness that I didn't even know was there. Soundstage is greatly unproved also. I had problems I didn't know I had till I had both cans in my hand.

Send me a PM with your Phone number or I can give you mine if you want further info. The mods make a night and day difference and I'm definitely getting geared up to do mine. I think my changing of the cable tightened the bass a bit.

Les

Les, I would like to hear more about the recable- what did it do to the sound? Since I will be balancing the D7000's for my Phoenix when it comes, it might be easier to solder in a new cable rather than redo the existing cable for balanced.
Tim

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #1,169 of 7,464
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Les, I would like to hear more about the recable- what did it do to the sound? Since I will be balancing the D7000's for my Phoenix when it comes, it might be easier to solder in a new cable rather than redo the existing cable for balanced.
Tim

Hi,
I do not like the Denon cables. A lot of them have Curly-Qs in the cables that came that way from the factory, and you can't get rid of them. The Cardas cable "May" have tightened up the bass a little. They are so trounced by the LA7000s that Markl loaned out that I think those mods are the real band for the buck here. I'm not a huge cable nut. The original Denon cable just has so many issues with the curling it had to go because it amde the canz irritating to use. I will say that the cans are REAL easy to re-cable if you can solder with heat soaking the pads. If it's your first solder job, it would be scary. Yeah, I would recable it. maybe Mogami or Cardas 4x24 would be pretty reasonable.

On another note, the post to Yikes above for a PM was not an offer to mod and cable his Denons. I just wanted to talk to him about the mods and mainly pick his brain about an AMP we both had purchased. Just wanted to make that clear.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #1,170 of 7,464
Thanks Les. Given that I don't know what "heat soaking the pads" means, I might be at a disadvantage. I will look into it. I am handy but inexperienced with this type of work.
I aggree the cable isn't very ergonomic, it twists way too much at this price point. Moon Audio will do it for me for $50 above the cost of a new cable which almost seems worth it (as he intended it I'm sure).
My D7000's have about 30 hours on them and they are sounding really nice, a noticeable improvement over the D5000- more details are heard, tighter bass, not earth shattering but there- I have been A/Bing them. Would I pay $999 for them, no, but at $550 ($180 more than I paid for the D5000), absolutely. If I listened with the D5000 and an hour later I listened with the D7000, I might not know the difference, but quick changes make the differences obvious to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back