Denon AH-D7000
Oct 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #5,656 of 7,457
Hm, I've got a 70s stereo amp and am not quite sure how I feel about it. I used it for quite awhile and got used to the sound, then I became surprised at how great my Denons sounded from my Galaxy S3 (almost better in a way, smoother). I think the output jacks of some receivers may be a bit too powerful for the Denons and aren't really doing the best for them. However, since my amp is in the shop at the moment, I can't do a proper comparison between the amp and a less powerful source. It's actually why I'm looking for a new headphone amp.

I was sceptical myself, but I've tried a number of amps and I keep coming back to my Carver. I've compared my setup side-by-side to everything from a DacMagic+Objective2 all the way up to a Violectric V800+V200 stack. Also had an Asgard, Peachtree Nova, NuForce Icon HD and never heard any improvement (or really any difference for that matter).

I bought my Carver new in 1985 and I've kept it all this time because it simply performs. I've bought and sold a number of amps over the years, but I have never heard anything than sounds better it in my home. Which isn't to say it's perfect, I once had a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's and the Carver was not a good match for it - presumably because of a higher than ideal output impedance. I wouldn't pair my Carver with any headphone that requires a high damping factor - (low impedance Senns, BA IEM's, etc.).

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #5,657 of 7,457
I have a D7000 with a very small slight nick in the lacquer on one of the wooden cups. It is not "through" the lacquer, but I can "just" feel it with a finger nail. It is very slight but would like to get rid of it, if possible. Any ideas how to restore the finish? Furniture polish? Car wax? or just leave well alone?

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #5,658 of 7,457
Quote:
I have a D7000 with a very small slight nick in the lacquer on one of the wooden cups. It is not "through" the lacquer, but I can "just" feel it with a finger nail. It is very slight but would like to get rid of it, if possible. Any ideas how to restore the finish? Furniture polish? Car wax? or just leave well alone?

There are some good automotive paint polishes available that will probably work, but personally, I wouldn't risk doing more damage.

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #5,659 of 7,457
Wow, no activity for 3 weeks!

Did everyone jump over onto the Planar train while palmfish is still figuring out how to return his d7000's to their original state? 
tongue.gif

Palm, you've peaked my curiosity.  What did you end up doing?

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #5,661 of 7,457
Those that do own them could maybe start an "D7000 Post-mortem Appreciation Thread." 
L3000.gif
 I'd join ya'll but I sold mine after the HE-500's arrived.  Grado RS1i's received the same treatment.

Quote:
Because D7000 is a discontinued item, 3 weeks silence is quite natural.
In japan, dead stock D7000 in bargain rack (approx. $800) was almost sold out.
Complete silence will be coming....

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #5,663 of 7,457
Quote:
Wow, no activity for 3 weeks!

Did everyone jump over onto the Planar train while palmfish is still figuring out how to return his d7000's to their original state? 
tongue.gif

Palm, you've peaked my curiosity.  What did you end up doing?

Yes, it has been quiet!

I have been exposed to a lot of noise at work lately and my tinnitus has been bothering me for the past couple weeks, so I have not listened to music with headphones in a while.
frown.gif

I am pleased with my M-D7000's with the stock earpads installed. Although the midbass remains a bit more than I would prefer, overall they do more things well than any other headphone I have ever heard. With the damping mods, this is how they should sound from the factory IMO. I'm going to keep the Lawton Pads in a ziplock bag in my cabinet for a while so I have them in the event I eventually decide to sell my D7000's.

I will have a pair of HiFiMAN HE-400's back in my possession soon and will decide if I will keep both or sell one of them. I'm very much inclined to just stop being so critical and keep the Denons. They sound wonderful, look beautiful, and would be very difficult to replace if I were to sell them and get sellers remorse.

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #5,664 of 7,457
D7000's have a sound signature that everyone can fall in love with, very inviting and fun.  The fact that they are super comfortable is an added bonus.  

When I first sold them, there was a month where I had some serious withdraw.  Had I not listened to any other headphone after that, I would be comfortable living with the D7000 as my goto can.

Feel better soon and I look forward to your impressions of the HE-400's in relation to the D7000's.

Quote:
Yes, it has been quiet!

I have been exposed to a lot of noise at work lately and my tinnitus has been bothering me for the past couple weeks, so I have not listened to music with headphones in a while.
frown.gif

I am pleased with my M-D7000's with the stock earpads installed. Although the midbass remains a bit more than I would prefer, overall they do more things well than any other headphone I have ever heard. With the damping mods, this is how they should sound from the factory IMO. I'm going to keep the Lawton Pads in a ziplock bag in my cabinet for a while so I have them in the event I eventually decide to sell my D7000's.

I will have a pair of HiFiMAN HE-400's back in my possession soon and will decide if I will keep both or sell one of them. I'm very much inclined to just stop being so critical and keep the Denons. They sound wonderful, look beautiful, and would be very difficult to replace if I were to sell them and get sellers remorse.

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #5,665 of 7,457
Dayum, I was hoping to upgrade my D2000s to these at some point, how I can find a new pair for a reasonable price once I've sorted out the money for it because I love the D2000s sound, its a pity because the new Denon range doesn't look like all that anyway.

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #5,666 of 7,457
Dayum, I was hoping to upgrade my D2000s to these at some point, how I can find a new pair for a reasonable price once I've sorted out the money for it because I love the D2000s sound, its a pity because the new Denon range doesn't look like all that anyway.

I sold my first pair and got a bad case of buyers remorse because I could not find a better headphone IMO but I lucked up and found a pair in the 'for sale' section.

Keep checking the section and also try Amazon, I have seen a few pair pop up there.

Good luck.

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #5,667 of 7,457
UGH... I must stay away from this thread. Seller's remorse. FOR SURE.

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #5,669 of 7,457
Nope... I'm returning the HE-4.... I just placed an order for the 990 pros and... because it has been a long time coming... the HD650... :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back