Denon AH-D7000
Sep 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #5,641 of 7,457
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this has been asked/brought up before, but has the weakness at the hinges that the D2000/D5000 had been fixed with the D7000, or is durability still problematic?

I thought it was simply the nuts on the hinges work themselves loose over time, so they need to be checked and tightened regularly?

Well they are already loose on my 2 days old pair. Bought them brand new. Should I be worried?

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #5,646 of 7,457
Just caught the news about the discontinuing of the line.  Also that Denon won't service them?

In light of that, what's the best way to plan for future problems?  What parts are most likely to have trouble over time with headphones?  I love mine and they've given me no issues in the 2 years I've owned them, but I assume as with all electronics, it's a matter of time.  Just want to be prepared.  Maybe pick up a spare set of pads just in case.

Thanks.

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #5,648 of 7,457
Anyone have any experience with Schiit stuff with the Denon D7000's (MarkL)? I'm very interested in the Bifrost, and wanted a matching Schiit amp, but I've heard the Schiit amps don't really do too well with the Denons.

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #5,649 of 7,457
I haven't found the Denon's to be picky with amps. Every amp I've tried them with (all SS) sound the same to me.

BTW, I got the foam pads and added 2 layers. The difference is slight to none - still too harsh/steely in the treble with the angle pads. So it seems I have to choose between too much bass (stock pads) or too much treble (angle pads).

I just want to listen to my music and stop analyzing the sound. I am seriously thinking about abandoning my D7000's altogether and just going back to the HD 600.

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #5,650 of 7,457
You think the stock pads have too much bass? You did get it MarkL modded, yes?

For me, the foam was just to slightly take the edge off with the stock pads, not to tackle (what I believe to be) the significant sibilance of angled denon pads. Have you thought of EQing the bass down with stock pads or highs down with the angle pads?

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #5,652 of 7,457
You think the stock pads have too much bass? You did get it MarkL modded, yes?

For me, the foam was just to slightly take the edge off with the stock pads, not to tackle (what I believe to be) the significant sibilance of angled denon pads. Have you thought of EQing the bass down with stock pads or highs down with the angle pads?

Yes, they are MarkL modded.

I don't use digital EQ so i don't have the precise control that others might have. I can tame the bass with tone controls, but it still lacks the punch I'm looking for. Taming the angle pad treble is also a mixed bag for me because it's not just the brightness, there's a "steely" quality that sounds unnatural to me.

All of this in "IMO" of course. For those that really like to feel bass, the modded D7000 is an improvement over stock in every way. And I can also see how someone might find the treble shimmer very detailed and "audiophile-like." i like some bass boost, but the Denon's (even modded) are just too much for me. Also, I am very treble sensitive and so it really needs to be just right to not bother me.

The D7000 made a great first impression with me, but now that the honeymoon is over, I think that maybe it just isn't for me.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #5,655 of 7,457
Hm, I've got a 70s stereo amp and am not quite sure how I feel about it. I used it for quite awhile and got used to the sound, then I became surprised at how great my Denons sounded from my Galaxy S3 (almost better in a way, smoother). I think the output jacks of some receivers may be a bit too powerful for the Denons and aren't really doing the best for them. However, since my amp is in the shop at the moment, I can't do a proper comparison between the amp and a less powerful source. It's actually why I'm looking for a new headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back