Denon AH-D7000
Jan 28, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #4,921 of 7,464
I'm not quite sure it's the damping factor.   My denons sound more 'hard' and crisp out of an OTL tube amp than the iPhone.  And no, the difference is not huge.  That's the kind of statement among many others on head-fi that drives newer people to waste money on things they really shouldn't need.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #4,922 of 7,464

Quote:
I do consider the D7k very slightly on the warm side of neutral. They reproduce a very accurate high-end, so in that way they are less 'warm' than the Senn HD-600 / 650.
Their 'fullness' comes from a slight bump in the upper bass, which (to my ears) 'rounds' out the sound and gives it sonority.
The warmth of the D7k is just semantics and a matter of degrees. They ARE slightly warm, but not warm... unless you compare them to something very cool and sterile (K701's anyone?). Even the DT-880/600 Ohm make the D7k seem warm. But taken on their own, they are very naturalistic and acoustic... to my ears.

"Sonority" Had to look that one up.

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #4,923 of 7,464

Quote:
I've driven the 7000s with iPhone and Android phones before no problem but sonically they sound better through either my dedicated amp/dac or my AV receiver

It's not a huge difference but it's definitely there.  That's the beauty of these headphones is they are easy to drive.  My HD600s...need either the AV receiver or amp/dac or they just don't sound as "full"

No doubt a well matched low impedance dedicated headphone amp will be better for the D7000s. My comments were pertaining to the high impedance WA3 OTL tube amp where the damping factor is less than ideal for the D7000s exclusively.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #4,924 of 7,464
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a D7000 along with a NuForce Icon HDP. 
Because this will be a big spending toward for my entertainment and I wish it to last long. 
Can you please make some comment on the durability of the Denon AH-D7000 for me?

Thanks 
gs1000.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #4,925 of 7,464
Dunno about durability, I treat mine like a Faberge egg, so not sure. :wink:

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #4,926 of 7,464

Quote:
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a D7000 along with a NuForce Icon HDP. 
Because this will be a big spending toward for my entertainment and I wish it to last long. 
Can you please make some comment on the durability of the Denon AH-D7000 for me?

Thanks 
gs1000.gif

They're not the most durable headphones in the world. If you're going to be throwing them around and taking them everywhere, they're not the best for that. But as long as you use them normally, they'll do fine.
Do know that they are not foldable.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #4,927 of 7,464
Well, they seem to last. I have had mine for a couple of years. They do not look that well made at first glance, only because they are glossy and the metal frame is quite thin in places. I wore mine around my neck half-way around the world. They have been threw hell and somehow seem to stay together. I would guess though that they would not take a full drop onto a hard floor due to the wood cups.

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #4,928 of 7,464
They're best for at-home use, and should be handled with care like any other high-grade headphone.

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #4,929 of 7,464
Definitely I will leave it at my desk at home, because of the full size and not foldable.
I am not so typical a very careful guy, so I want to make sure it lasts if I happen to forget taking care of it like dropping in on the floor.
deadhorse.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #4,930 of 7,464
Jan 29, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #4,931 of 7,464

Quote:
Dunno about durability, I treat mine like a Faberge egg, so not sure.
wink.gif

+1 here too, I don't think it's just the price that makes me want to treat them this way. I'm pretty sure that if my Sennheiser HD25-1 II's were this price I would still throw them around :p

Going back to the point about driving them though. So far I only have a cheap little Fiio E7 which I mostly use on it's own off my laptop but when on my main PC I add the E9 amp as well. At first I noticed only small differences between plugging it directly in the iPhone 4 / Galaxy S and the Fiio setup. After a few weeks of solely using it through the Fiio E7 I got lazy one day and went and plugged it directly in to the laptop and was stunned to hear the sound just fall apart! It was like they were incapable of displaying those nice low frequencies and OMG the muddiness... not even half as good! Then tried the phones again, the Galaxy S was truly awful! The iPhone 4 was better but still not something that I would want to plug these phones in to. I always wanted to upgrade the the Fiio for these phones to something like the Icon HDP or the CEntrace DACport. I am now more curious than ever to see how it would affect the D7000's sound, can anyone offer any experience between these DAC/amp combos with the D7000?

I never believed in burn in but I have noticed more and more refinement to the D7000's every time I put them on. I am still of the opinion that it is me adapting to the headphones sound rather than the sound itself is actually changing (although I am more open to the possibility of burn in now). After getting the D7000 I can no longer listen to my Sennheiser HD25-1 II, way too harsh on the highs for my liking now and I used to really love them :frowning2:.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #4,932 of 7,464
Lol, we're on the same boat. I was THIS close to getting the Burson HA160DS today (or the DACMini w/1ohm output). I'm holding out on the new Objective desktop amp/dac products due out soon. Dunno if I'll last that long. The Burson HA160DS's signature seem like exactly what I want for my D7000: quicker PRAT, tighter bass. I'm especially long overdue for a new DAC. The cheaper Fiio D3 actually sounds better than the E7, but it emphasizes the D7000's bass which doesn't need any more emphasis.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #4,933 of 7,464
I wired a balanced (XLR) connector on my D7000 cable and I use them with my balanced Audio-GD NFB10ES  or my balanced Beta 22. Using a balanced amp actually results in "less bass" in the sense that the bass is even more tightly controlled than with single-end amp setup. It's not really less bass, it's tighter control.

I also have XLR-to-regular TRS stereo phone plug adapters, so I can use the D7000 with "ordinary" amps too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back