Denon AH-D7000
Mar 5, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #1,741 of 7,462
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would term it clear and crisp, but not bright. Also, a might bit recessed in the mids if you are looking at the D5000 vs the LA7000. The pad mod on the LA7000 widens them out and makes them not quite as "in your face" as the D5000s. The LA7000 is SUPERB, and I heard no flaws in it.

The only Flaw I could find was the PRICE!

This is with the LA7000, I have not heard it unmod'd.

thanks for your input...yeah I know those LA7000s are pricey. I may go with the D7000...see how it is and then try the jmoney pads.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #1,742 of 7,462
Quote:

Originally Posted by hellogoodbye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so I've done some reading on these phones and I was wondering about a couple things. How much more treble do these phones have compared to the D5000? I am a little sensitive to treble but I don't have any problems with the D5000's treble. Is the D7000 considered a bright phone?

I'm thinking about making the plunge to the D7000 but I want to make sure I don't end up with a phone that has a harsh treble.

I've heard both and the D7k isn't bright. It does give more emphasis to the mids-treble, but certainly not bright. It is however revealing, so if your source isn't up to spec, then you will hear that. I would consider this to be more balanced than the D5k, which has a low-mid hump, probably suitable to sources which have weak bass reproduction (eg unamp'd).

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #1,743 of 7,462
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard both and the D7k isn't bright. It does give more emphasis to the mids-treble, but certainly not bright. It is however revealing, so if your source isn't up to spec, then you will hear that. I would consider this to be more balanced than the D5k, which has a low-mid hump, probably suitable to sources which have weak bass reproduction (eg unamp'd).

Very true about the revealing part. I have never so much sibilance in my life. And I realized after testing some things its basically my music recording's problem and not the D7000. That and it renders 128kbps mp3 completely unbearable as compared to my HD595 which it was still enjoyable.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #1,744 of 7,462
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would term it clear and crisp, but not bright. Also, a might bit recessed in the mids if you are looking at the D5000 vs the LA7000. The pad mod on the LA7000 widens them out and makes them not quite as "in your face" as the D5000s. The LA7000 is SUPERB, and I heard no flaws in it.

The only Flaw I could find was the PRICE!

This is with the LA7000, I have not heard it unmod'd.

I pulled out my LA7000 with bubinga cups and J$ pads this evening and I am enjoying these, the best version of Denon out there. They were not quite as good as Ray Samuels' Sony R10 side by side last summer, but they weren't embarrassed by the R10 either. Even Ray and most others at the meet thought they sounded good.

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #1,745 of 7,462
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

if your amp is a bithead and your main source is an mp3 player, do you think its still worth it to get a D7000?

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #1,746 of 7,462
Quote:

Originally Posted by hellogoodbye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if your amp is a bithead and your main source is an mp3 player, do you think its still worth it to get a D7000?

Yes, the Bithead should have no trouble powering them and you could always upgrade down the road.
evil_smiley.gif

BTW, I did own both the Bithead and D7000 at the same time (a few months back) and thought it was good.

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #1,747 of 7,462
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the Bithead should have no trouble powering them and you could always upgrade down the road.
evil_smiley.gif

BTW, I did own both the Bithead and D7000 at the same time (a few months back) and thought it was good.

could you tell that it was better than the d5000 even through the bithead? and were the mids good?

Mar 6, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #1,748 of 7,462
I've noticed a number of AH-D7000 owners advocating replacing the stock "pleather" pads with j money leather earpads. It would seem that this both improves comfort and tightens the bass presentation. This begs two questions for me: should a premium headphone with a msrp of $999 USD (even though it can be purchased for considerably less) already be equipped with leather earpads; and does this headphone have bloated bass that requires taming?

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #1,749 of 7,462
The stock Denon pads could stand to be a little better probably, yes. I am a big fan of the J$ pads, and have them on my D7000, but it's not like the D7000 sound bad with the stock pads - they sound great. They just sound a little better, to most folks, with the J$ pads.

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #1,751 of 7,462
Generally speaking, with the J$ pads, yes - but there is some extra bass energy versus some headphones. For many people, including me, that's enjoyable. For some, it may not be. The D7000 also have a tiny bit of midrange reticence, but not enough to be bothersome.

I like them a lot. I heard them at their absolute best for the first time last night, I think - using the Leben CS300X I just got, which is a transformer-coupled tube amp and does well with low-impedance headphones.

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #1,752 of 7,462
Thanks for your responses. I have read this thread in its entirety but there are surprisingly few detailed reviews and comparisons of this headphone. How would you describe its clarity, detail retrieval, instrument separation and soundstage? As it is low impedance, does that make it relatively easy to drive? In lieu of a dedicated headphone amplifier, would it perform competently plugged directly into the headphone jack of a stereo receiver, CD player or ipod?

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #1,753 of 7,462
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally speaking, with the J$ pads, yes - but there is some extra bass energy versus some headphones. For many people, including me, that's enjoyable. For some, it may not be. The D7000 also have a tiny bit of midrange reticence, but not enough to be bothersome.

I like them a lot. I heard them at their absolute best for the first time last night, I think - using the Leben CS300X I just got, which is a transformer-coupled tube amp and does well with low-impedance headphones.

Wow, thats an expensive amp, btw I have noticed ED8 in your list, have you written any impressions of it?

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #1,754 of 7,462
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, thats an expensive amp, btw I have noticed ED8 in your list, have you written any impressions of it?

No, I have not. The Ed8 are terrific headphones, though. I think the Beyerdynamic T1's are better overall, but they are open and high impedance, and the Ed 8 are closed and low impedance, so they are different animals.

The Ed8 are a little better than the D7000, but not enough to justify the difference in price between them, unless you need good isolation - the Ed8 isolate very well, whereas the D7000's basically don't isolate.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #1,755 of 7,462
Thanks and now tricky question how do they compare to dx-1000? I am not asking which is better, more like how and in what are they different
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back