Denon AH-D7000 vs Sennheiser HD800
Jun 4, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #61 of 94
I own both the D7000 and the HD800 and I have to say I prefer the D7000 for all around cans.  There's something about the low end presence that's so fun and so addicting.  I can see how people would find the bass too powerful but I find it perfect for my needs.  Keep in mind I listen to bass heavy genres such as; hip hop, dnb, trance, downtempo, and rnb. 

My old set up was: Nuforce HDP ($450) > modded WA6 with sophia princess ($900) > HD800 ($1400).  That was a grand total of: $2750.

My current setup is: Nuforce HDP ($450) > D7000 with LA cups, jena labs cable ($850).  The total of this set up is: $1300.

Now for the cost of double the price I didn't quite find it as double the enjoyment (which rarely ever happens in the first place).  Actually I didn't even find it as enjoyable as my D7000's at all.  Then again just look at my musical preferences, the D7000's just suit my ears much better than the HD800.  The HD800 is a great phone and I would definitely keep it around but I believe I can find a much better use with my $1300 =)

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #62 of 94

Quote:
The T1's sound very good on the Meier Concerto, which I think of as reasonably priced.

Add that one to the list too
smile.gif
. Thanks Skylab.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #63 of 94

Quote:
My current setup is: Nuforce HDP ($450) > D7000 with LA cups, jena labs cable ($850).  The total of this set up is: $1300.

Actually this setup would be considered more expensive if you werent using the used price of the la7000. Used might be $850 but new is between $1400 - $1800 depending on length of cable and termination. I prefer my la7000to the hd800 and listen to almost every genre.

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #64 of 94

Quote:

Actually this setup would be considered more expensive if you werent using the used price of the la7000. Used might be $850 but new is between $1400 - $1800 depending on length of cable and termination. I prefer my la7000to the hd800 and listen to almost every genre.

True that styles, I agree with everything you said at that last meet.  You told me that HD800's weren't as good with every genre as the LA7000 and I remember thinking, "this guy has got to be kidding".  Lol now I've tried it for myself and truly understand your words. 

Just for reference, I also enjoyed my stock D7000's with the Nuforce HDP (Total cost around $1200 shipped brand new) more so than the HD800 setup too.

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #65 of 94

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, which one do you prefer? The denons or the sennheisers?

You're not going to get a straight up answer on this from anybody who has heard both. They are COMPLETELY different headphones, and different people will prefer one or the other. There is no "right" answer to this question.

From a purely technical standpoint, the HD800s far exceed the D7000s, but they also require a setup of $1500 at the minimum not including your headphones to sound anywhere near your potential (that's an estimate price, not a fact), whereas the D7000s sound good out of just about anything.

The HD800s are far more analytical and neutral than the D7000s, and due to this are bad for poor recordings unless you like listening to every flaw in the recording.

Generally, for rock/pop/electronic/most blues the D7000s would be my choice in a second, but for anything that benefits from a good soundstage/detail retrieval/neutrality the HD800s would be my choice (classical, jazz, acoustic, Pink Floyd/Radiohead/other prog rock bands).

Have you considered the T1? It is pretty much the closest to the middle of the road between these two cans you'll find and apparently performs well with just about anything. It's a little warm of neutral, but still very neutral, with a large soundstage, although not on HD800 level, has fantastic detail retrieval, and is very musical.

It's also the middle of the road in price.

A very good answer.

I have both.  Forced to a choice I would actually keep the D7000's - they are truly fun and engaging.  I would however prefer not to have to make the choice!

I agree that technically the HD-800s are better, but give me a late night, a glass of whisky and music that I like they are not the first pair that I reach for...

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #66 of 94

Quote:
A very good answer.

I have both.  Forced to a choice I would actually keep the D7000's - they are truly fun and engaging.  I would however prefer not to have to make the choice!

I agree that technically the HD-800s are better, but give me a late night, a glass of whisky and music that I like they are not the first pair that I reach for...

A German reaching for Japanese headphones over the German headphones?

Outlandish!
smile.gif

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #67 of 94

Quote:
A German reaching for Japanese headphones over the German headphones?

Outlandish!
smile.gif

Ooch.. Expat Brit in fact
smile.gif
  (Although been here long enough that a lot of Germany has rubbed off on me).

Just listened to the pair of 'phones again, late at night so no deep analysis.  The HD-800's amaze with clarity and detail every time I listen, but it is with the D7000's that my feet are tapping.   The latter maybe remind me more of many good nights listening to bands in concerts or bars - where a more visceral approach is what is adding to the enjoyment.

Both are excellent headphones and match the engineering reputations of both countries (pretty much excellent in both cases).

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #68 of 94

Quote:
Ooch.. Expat Brit in fact
smile.gif
  (Although been here long enough that a lot of Germany has rubbed off on me).

Just listened to the pair of 'phones again, late at night so no deep analysis.  The HD-800's amaze with clarity and detail every time I listen, but it is with the D7000's that my feet are tapping.   The latter maybe remind me more of many good nights listening to bands in concerts or bars - where a more visceral approach is what is adding to the enjoyment.

Both are excellent headphones and match the engineering reputations of both countries (pretty much excellent in both cases).

Agreed. I am happy to own both as well.

Jun 5, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #69 of 94
If I have to choose one headphone, I would choose HD800 over D7000. Like many people on this thread said, D7000 is definitely a "fun" headphone and has a great bass. I think both headphones are resonably priced. I think HD800 worth its price tag of $1400 but I would never pay MSRP for D7000. I think ~$600 is more reasonable for D7000s.

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #70 of 94
Does anybody here own a HD800 and K701 or D7000?

If so could you please do me a favor and carry out the finger tapping test like outlined in this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495039/resonant-frequency-of-four-phones-reviewed#post_6685680

I am keen to know, as part of my research, whether the resultant resonating tone is higher or lower than the K701 or D7000.

The D7000 in my opinion exhibits the most ruler flat frequency response of the phones in that review I carried out.  This is also as measured in Tyll's latest measurements in his new measuring booth (made after I made my conclusions hence did not influence me in any way whatsoever).  Far from being "fun" it is a "serious" headphone that exhibits a full range frequency response unrivaled.  However it is outclassed in "transparency" "staging" and "imaging" by both the HD650 and K701.

If the D7000 suffers a perceived "V" shaped frequency response (debatable) and therefore labeled "fun", then how does the HD800 with its perceived "N" shaped (you know what I mean) response considered flat or "serious"?

I'll give credit when due, the HD800 trounces the D7000 in all areas except for frequency response flatness.

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #71 of 94
I have the D7000 and recently had the chance to compare it to the HD800 on two different occasions--once amped by the SPL Phonitor, and the other time by the Corda Symphony.2.

The HD800's detail and articulation sounds a bit artificial to me, and its lack of substantial bass presence makes it less musical, lush, and fun as what most people generally want from their headphones. To say that the HD800 is neutral/accurate/balanced is like saying a girl who has a nice body but with a flat ass and wears a bit too much makeup is "perfect."

The D7000 has problems too, but the bass isn't one of them. The bass on the D7000 is one of the most impressively flat and authoritative available. It might be just a tiny, tiny bit more boomy than 100% ideal, but it gets far closer to that ideal than just about any headphones I've ever heard. The real problems with the D7000 is the upper-mid's and treble, being a bit too bright/fatiguing/tinny (though not as offensive as some), and the recessed mids, which takes away from the body of vocals and instruments, which makes them sound top heavy (top meaning treble).

I personally would not pick either one of them and would keep on looking. For myself personally, I'm looking for the ideal pair that will do everything I want, and I've got these models on my "to listen to" list:

LCD2
T1
Edition 8
JH13 or JH16

The Stax 007MKII really blew me away recently, as its the most natural sound I've ever heard, although I suspect it's probably not totally neutral since the upper-mids sounded way too pleasant and non-fatiguing, even on material that I know is mixed too hot in the sibilance region. But what a beautiful subjective sound, and I for one am willing to give up total accuracy if sonic nirvana sounds that good.

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #72 of 94

Quote:
If I have to choose one headphone, I would choose HD800 over D7000. Like many people on this thread said, D7000 is definitely a "fun" headphone and has a great bass. I think both headphones are resonably priced. I think HD800 worth its price tag of $1400 but I would never pay MSRP for D7000. I think ~$600 is more reasonable for D7000s.

Well said and owning both, I completely agree!

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #73 of 94
SP Wild, measuring the frequency response of a headphone is an interesting exercise and it can be a useful assessment tool for some, but the ears remain the ultimate judge as the above post shows. Lunatique hears the D7000 as having "recessed mids".  It's a common description of the D7000's sound signature from what I've read.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #74 of 94

Quote:
SP Wild, measuring the frequency response of a headphone is an interesting exercise and it can be a useful assessment tool for some, but the ears remain the ultimate judge as the above post shows. Lunatique hears the D7000 as having "recessed mids".  It's a common description of the D7000's sound signature from what I've read.

To my ears, the mids are slightly recessed and really only noticeable when changing from my T1s to them directly. They (D7000s) are great fun cans, but they are not balanced. The bass is overly exaggerated, as said the mids recessed and the treble is slightly too forward. But they are lush with subwoofer bass and great with rock and jazz.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #75 of 94

Quote:
To my ears, the mids are slightly recessed and really only noticeable when changing from my T1s to them directly. They (D7000s) are great fun cans, but they are not balanced. The bass is overly exaggerated, as said the mids recessed and the treble is slightly too forward. But they are lush with subwoofer bass and great with rock and jazz.

I agree with this. One thing that bothers me (probably only thing) about D7000 is that the vocals are too far away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back