Denon AH-D7000 vs Sennheiser HD800
Jun 4, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #46 of 94

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance but can someone please explain what linearity means when describing the way a headphone reproduces sound?

Basically the presentation of frequencies to dB is flat (linear). The D7000s (like many coloured headphones) present the spectrum of frequencies in a "U" shaped pattern. Overly strong bass and treble, with recessed mids.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, I do enjoy fun cans from time to time, but saying that the D7000s are more balanced than the HD800s is simply not true.

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #47 of 94
^ Understood.  Can you explain why you find the HD800 clinical when compared to the T1?. If both phones reproduce music in a linear fashion, with exceptional resolution and imaging, does the difference come down to the slightly more intimate presentation of the T1 with its semi-open/closed cups, compared to the expansive soundstage of the HD800?  Or is it some other sound trait?

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #48 of 94
For me it still boils down from the departures from flat response.  At least in terms of how I heard it, the HD800 is a little (very little) hot in the upper presence (@ 6KHz) region, and just a little lean in the mid-bass.  The T1 also has a slight treble peak, but it is higher up, about 9 KHz, which is above the presence region, and has a little more mid-bass (although at least from the response graphs, not much).

It's important to note that perceived spectral balance is a complex function.  A slight increase in treble in a certain range can lead to listeners reporting "less bass", even when there is no less bass than before the treble was raised slightly. 

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #49 of 94

Quote:
^ There's no doubt about that Paganini Alfredo is there?  Thanks MacedonianHero.  When you describe the T1 as "more musical", it's an ambiguous term that I also use when I'm describing a phone that I find engaging.  However, I tend to associate it with a sound signature that leans more toward the coloured rather than the neutral.  What do you mean by it? 

Ha no, I've just read numerous times that he prefers the T1s is all.
biggrin.gif

Edit- For what it's worth (concerning this thread anyways) I bought the HD800s and will be returning them in favor of my 650s. Not cause they're bad cans, just not my kind of presentation I'm after. Slowly but surely I'm learning my own particular taste of what headphones I like.

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #50 of 94
So Skylab, in otherwords neither phone is perfectly flat or linear?  There is some degree of colouration for both, but it is present in different parts of the frequency spectrum for each one?

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #51 of 94

Quote:
^ So in otherwords, neither phone is perfectly flat or linear?  There is some degree of colouration for both, but it is present in different parts of the frequency spectrum for each one?

Absolutely.  Both headphones are "admirably flat", bot neither is "perfectly flat".  There has never been a perfectly flat headphone - and it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #52 of 94
Agreed, but as dynamic headphones go, they are about as flat as I've heard. Nothing is perfect.

The HD800s are detail monsters and throw them right up in your face and while still present on the T1s they are not thrust upon you. So any problems with the recordings are not as predominant on the T1s.

As well, as Skylab mentioned, the T1s are on the warm/lush side of neutral whereas the HD800s are slightly tipped towards the brighter side of neutral.

Therefore I find the T1s more musical for the two reasons mentioned.

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #54 of 94
T1 is not really on the warm side on a DAC19, Auditor. Both being advertized as neutral gear. Maybe more  the tube users or those that run with inadequate amping find them warm?

Could say they are balanced enough to make them super easilly warm or bright :)

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #55 of 94

Quote:
T1 is not really on the warm side on a DAC19, Auditor. Both being advertized as neutral gear. Maybe more  the tube users or those that run with inadequate amping find them warm?

???

Sorry dude, for 600 ohms cans, tubes are the way to go! For us tube fans, SS is the inferior product.
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #56 of 94
Quote:

I don't have my T1s yet (still on the waiting list), but I picked them over the HD800s because of the consensus that the Beyers are warmer and have more bass than the Senns.
I'm not expecting cans that are warm in an absolute sense -- certainly not in the way that my LA2000s are warm -- but that are comparatively warmer than the other "flagship" cans.

I will be able to confirm this... oh, someday.

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #57 of 94
Looks like my post for some reason didn't show up.  I'll have to write it again later.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #58 of 94

Quote:
???

Sorry dude, for 600 ohms cans, tubes are the way to go! For us tube fans, SS is the inferior product.
biggrin.gif

I was just commenting on the balance of the T1. Most tube lovers want it warm and lush it seems. I do like that colouration as well though I doubt I want to take my T1 there. Have other headphones for that purpose.

Though I have to say the T1 is almost too fast if that is possible on Auditor. Talk about taking control and I just can´t see how it could even be drived further. Then they would really be too fast. Would just eq the rest if needed. 

As for the HD 800 if it´s brighter it would probably be to much. It would need equalizing on my part. I will not compare this to that but the LCD-2. I suspect the T1 won´t stand a chance in such a comparison but will see. I am better set on the amp part for the T1 then the LCD-2 I suspect.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #59 of 94

Quote:
I was just commenting on the balance of the T1. Most tube lovers want it warm and lush it seems. I do like that colouration as well though I doubt I want to take my T1 there. Have other headphones for that purpose.

Though I have to say the T1 is almost too fast if that is possible on Auditor. Talk about taking control and I just can´t see how it could even be drived further. Then they would really be too fast. Would just eq the rest if needed. 

As for the HD 800 if it´s brighter it would probably be to much. It would need equalizing on my part. I will not compare this to that but the LCD-2. I suspect the T1 won´t stand a chance in such a comparison but will see. I am better set on the amp part for the T1 then the LCD-2 I suspect.

I was just kidding. I'm sure the T1s sound really good with the Auditor. I am toying with the idea of picking up a reasonably priced SS amp to compliment my tube amp (like the beyerdynamic A1 or Burson).
smile.gif

While the T1s with a tube amp are slightly on the warm side of neutral, they are only slightly warm. They are in no way as warm and lush as say my D7000s.

With regards to the HD800s, I really prefer them with tubes to "soften" up their treble a little bit.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #60 of 94
The T1's sound very good on the Meier Concerto, which I think of as reasonably priced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back