Denon AH-D7000 vs Sennheiser HD800
Jun 6, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #76 of 94

Quote:

I agree with this. One thing that bothers me (probably only thing) about D7000 is that the vocals are too far away.

"Too far away" is perhaps not an accurate description. Usually when something is perceived as further away, the higher frequency ranges get duller. Since D7000's treble is a bit too bright, the vocals can't really be too far away. What's really happening is that the main body (mids) of the vocals are recessed, thus we are hearing more of the upper and lower frequencies. In terms of actual distance, nothing really does that in real life, so it's an artificial sound. In real life, when sound is really far away, you hear mostly the lower frequencies, and as the sound gets closer, more of the mid is restored, and when at optimal distance, the highs are restored too.

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #77 of 94
In the end of the day I call it how I hear it.  The D7000 poses a flatter response curve - though not perfect (slight recess mids in quite a few recordings, comparatively) - Than either HD650, K701 and HD800 - which I had the pleasure of hearing.  This is a single dimension of audio reproduction - Like I said, I give it when it is due, and the D7000 is dominant in this single dimension - I never said it was perfectly flat.

Has it ocurred to you guys that in hearing 20hz - 30hz at realistic levels is extremely enjoyable to your mind because it sounds natural and you derive pleasure - hence "fun" - when in effect 20-30 hz is the foundation of human hearing, that sounds most realistic when recreated properly because it is the hardest to reproduce.  Just take a stroll in a busy city metropolis - 20 - 30hz is virtually permanently present.

The recessed midrange is a direct result of the inability of the D7000 to sort out and separate the lower mids leaving a disjoint between midrange and bass - this is obvious to me as the reason why vocals are somewhat subdued, no doubt due to the resonance properties of the cup and frame not allowing those frequencies to "breathe".

Take this simple test if you have a full Surround sound system with a microphone calibration system that will automatically tune your system to "reference flat" - watch a movie with a dynamic soundtrack - remember the signature as that is how it was intended to be heard.  Now watch the same movie with your HD800 and then the D7000 - I will then jump off a cliff if the HD800 sounded more like the reference (in terms of FR).  In this scenario you will find the D7000 exhibit virtually no midrange recession.  The D7000 is the clear winner overall in this situation when delicate musical subtleties are taken out of the equation.

I will come out right now and say that to me the most natural or realistic sounding headphone is the HD650.  Not the flattest, but that midrange is the most realistic to me (in simulating the intimate jamming and rehearsal sessions I partook in my youth) and that is what matters the most to me.  I give credit when due, the D7000 is objectively the more flatter headphone.

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #78 of 94
^ That is your opinion and you are welcome to express it here. However, it is not objective, nor is it proven by the latest frequency measurements from Tyll's newest measuring device. Another set of measurements from another measuring tool could yield a different result. Look around the net and you will find differing measurements of the same phones (and I'm not specifically referring to the D7000's here). These results should be regarded as indicative rather than absolute.  

It never ceases to surprise me how some Head-Fier's feel compelled to prove to the rest of us that their subjective experiences are somehow more objective than our own. Your impassioned preaching that the D7000 has the flattest frequency response of any headphone fashioned by man, will not compel anyone else to believe you if they don't hear it that way.

The D7000 has the flattest frequency response according to your ears.  It's obviously your preferred headphone.  Enjoy it and let the rest of us come to our own conclusions just as you have.  Who knows, we might even agree but then again, we might not.             

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #79 of 94

Quote:
^ That is your opinion and you are welcome to express it here. However, it is not objective, nor is it proven by the latest frequency measurements from Tyll's newest measuring device. Another set of measurements from another measuring tool could yield a different result. Look around the net and you will find differing measurements of the same phones (and I'm not specifically referring to the D7000's here). These results should be regarded as indicative rather than absolute.  

It never ceases to surprise me how some Head-Fier's feel compelled to prove to the rest of us that their subjective experiences are somehow more objective than our own. Your impassioned preaching that the D7000 has the flattest frequency response of any headphone fashioned by man, will not compel anyone else to believe you if they don't hear it that way.

The D7000 has the flattest frequency response according to your ears.  It's obviously your preferred headphone.  Enjoy it and let the rest of us come to our own conclusions just as you have.  Who knows, we might even agree but then again, we might not.             

Quote:
I will come out right now and say that to me the most natural or realistic sounding headphone is the HD650.  Not the flattest, but that midrange is the most realistic to me (in simulating the intimate jamming and rehearsal sessions I partook in my youth) and that is what matters the most to me.  I give credit when due, the D7000 is objectively the more flatter headphone.

You obviously do not read my posts correctly.  Lets just agree to disagree.

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #81 of 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry, your majesty.

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #83 of 94
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #84 of 94
I agree with comment that T1s sounded more "musical" than HD800s.  800s have a clinical, less engaging presentation of detail.  The T1s have an analogue-like organic immediacy to the details.  D7000s were a couple of leagues more outstanding than either on quality, dynamics and integration of bass.

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #87 of 94
Sorry to dig up this 2 month old thread, but this is really similar to the dilemna i am having now..

currently owning these 2 cans
1) Balanced akg k701
2) Balanced + dynamat modded denon d5000

i own the akg k702 from the very start, which i switch to akg k701 so i go balanced easily.
then i gotten the denon d5000 to compliment the k701 as i miss head thumping bass :D

and now.. i am in a dilemma as i want to upgrade but don't know which path to go to.

Using this reference:
akg k701 -> hd800
dynamat modded denon d5000 -> denon d7000 (markl mod ?)

I wish to upgrade from my akg k701 + d5k, but dunno if i should go for the hd800 or the d7000.. don't ask me to own both, the k701 and d5k are relatively cheap, hence i can own both, but not the hd8000 and the d7000..

*dilemma*

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #88 of 94
The hd800 and the d7000 compliment each other very well if you can swing having both. If you can only have one, then decide which sound signature you want to upgrade between the k701 and the d5000. The k701 and the d5000 are like the little brothers to the hd800 and the d7000. They share a lot with there corresponding siblings. The hd800 and the d7000 will improve in the areas where each can is weak and strengthen there strong areas even further. So figure which sound signature you like the best and get there bigger brother.

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #89 of 94

Quote:
Sorry to dig up this 2 month old thread, but this is really similar to the dilemna i am having now..

currently owning these 2 cans
1) Balanced akg k701
2) Balanced + dynamat modded denon d5000

i own the akg k702 from the very start, which i switch to akg k701 so i go balanced easily.
then i gotten the denon d5000 to compliment the k701 as i miss head thumping bass :D

and now.. i am in a dilemma as i want to upgrade but don't know which path to go to.

Using this reference:
akg k701 -> hd800
dynamat modded denon d5000 -> denon d7000 (markl mod ?)

I wish to upgrade from my akg k701 + d5k, but dunno if i should go for the hd800 or the d7000.. don't ask me to own both, the k701 and d5k are relatively cheap, hence i can own both, but not the hd8000 and the d7000..

*dilemma*

Ha, here I was raving about how flat the D7000 measured - yet at that particular point in time, I was unaware of a can that existed that would blow all other cans in measurements.  LCD2.

Aug 21, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #90 of 94
I currently own the D7000 and drive them with an Elekit TU-882 tube headphone amp.  I really enjoy the combo but have been itching to try these cans with a nice, warm, transparent, solid state amp.  They sound great on tubes, but I feel like they could sound a bit more exciting with a solid state amp.  Only problem is I fear they might start sounding a bit too bright on solid state.  Right now, with this combo, this is about as bright as I can comfortably tolerate.

I haven't had the chance to hear the HD800, but just from all the descriptions I've read, they don't sound like the right headphones for me.  Something about the D7000s....they just sound so sweet, musical, and enjoyable.  To me, that's what this is all about.  But I imagine that detail freaks would love the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back