Denon AH-D7000 Appreciation Society
Nov 14, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #422 of 565
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, sorry, I was edgy that night for some reason. So many rip on the 325is, and to my ears, they are really nice with a good source and balanced- especially the treble which is so smooth with female vocals.
I love Canada (definitely TMI, but my beautiful daughter was conceived there)!

No problem dude, we all hear differently. It's all good!

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #423 of 565
Feb 23, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #425 of 565
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes

anything less than this? I'm kinda trying to budget this the best I can. Any portable ones or less expensive (iBasso, imAMP, RW Amp 1, etc.)...can these do the trick too? Like I said for now the cheaper the better on the AMP department!!!
atsmile.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #426 of 565
Quote:

Originally Posted by N0sferatu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anything less than this? I'm kinda trying to budget this the best I can. Any portable ones or less expensive (iBasso, imAMP, RW Amp 1, etc.)...can these do the trick too? Like I said for now the cheaper the better on the AMP department!!!
atsmile.gif

An iPod can power D7000s to audible levels, it's all about getting the most out of them though, and I seriously doubt the Micro would get the very best out of the D7000, but they'd definitely sound good through it.

The Audio-GD FUN would give you a good source and amp for less than the Micro that IMO is roughly as good if not better than the Micro amp/DAC.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #427 of 565
Quote:

atsmile.gif

try a cheap portable and see if you're happy. You probably will be for at least a little while. Then you can upgrade to bigger and better. I've heard them thru a vividaudio v1, headroom micro, and mpx3. The vivid is a little muddy and uncontrolled, but still fun and enjoyable. (I thought the headroom sounded great and I am still in the process of figuring out the best tubes for the mpx3 but so far they sound fantastic)

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #428 of 565
Quote:

would you guys say the Headroom Micro Amp has enough juice to power these?

Headroom Micro Amp - Headphone Amplifier | HeadRoom Audio

I had a Micro Stack at first with my D7000 and almost sold the D7000 because of them. Don't get me wrong, they sound good with other cans...they just didn't flesh out the sound enough for my taste.

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #429 of 565
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An iPod can power D7000s to audible levels, it's all about getting the most out of them though, and I seriously doubt the Micro would get the very best out of the D7000, but they'd definitely sound good through it.

The Audio-GD FUN would give you a good source and amp for less than the Micro that IMO is roughly as good if not better than the Micro amp/DAC.

This is my thinking as well. Find something from Audio-GD on the FS forum and try that first. Most bang for your buck and you really need something that will control the D7000.

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #430 of 565
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you think the D7K's might compare against the HD800? LOL!!

I've heard them both. I heard the HD800 in a meet setting, so relatively breifly, with lots of background noise.

So far, the D7000 is the best closed can that I've heard that I am willing to afford. I got a chance to hear an L3000 at the meet also. I liked it a lot, but would need to spend some quality time with it to decide if I like it better, and at the price premium it commands, I doubt I will.

The HD800 is a fine open headphone. I'd like to own a pair. It does all the things that open phones do, and very well. I probably liked them better than the d7000, but it is closed phones for me right now.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #431 of 565
On the amp question posted earlier - there are some fine DIY amps at reasonable prices. I use a dynalo that I paid about $200 for, and it is excellent. I'm really curious about the millet hybrids and the ckkiii. I also have heardthem with a nice ppav2 that was wonderful. Also Mikeymad's Woo that probably cost more than most of the cars I've owned! Anyway, check out the FS forums for a nice used DIY solid state or hybrid.

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #433 of 565

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try them balanced, it has made a difference. D7000 has slight sibilance, 325is has none and is not harsh. Again, not looking to bash D7000, I love them but for those who must have zero sibilance or grain in the treble, these are not them. This is with my system so TIFWIW.

In my setup there is zero grain and sibilance...zero. I have tried a pair of 325i goldies balanced and still very hot and harsh trebles in my humble opinion. If you've ever heard the RS1s, I don't think you would then compare the D7000s to the SR325is'...The RS1 are very comparable as to me they are more in the same league...

The 325is are in nowhere in the same league as the Denons...not even close. Silkly highs that don't scream at you, great mids that seduce you and bass like a 12" subwoofer. But then again that listening with my ears with my setup. ...to each his own.

I recently sent my 3251's to Larry for a sex change, for the very reasons you have touched on.While I love my Grado's a Vixen they will be
atsmile.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #434 of 565
I own, well look at my profile.  I've tried very hard to love the Denons, especially for their low bass (it's great).  The highs are "O.K.", I could live with them, the mids have some transparency problems compared to my other two phones.  The soundstage or headstage is noticeably narrower than the other two.  Unfortunately, the mids are where the music lives.  Now, remember, this is just my opinion, but I've had the Denons for 5-6 months, the AKGs almost that long and the Grados for over a year.  Damned if I don't keep coming back to the Grados.  Sorry, I know that's politically incorrect, but, I listen to what I want to listen to.  Yes, the 325is's are too hot on the top.  I think I'll try the GS pretty soon to see if that solves the problem.  I'd go ortho but I did that already with the LCD-2 rev.1.  That little experiment cost me two bills.  The highs were rolled but also the texture was a little strange not to mention the headstage.  HiFiMan?  It's a gamble.  I'd be happy to send my Grados for a sex change if I were confident that they would sound better in the highs and not screw everthing else up.  They're never going to have the deep bass of the orthos or the 7000, show me a phone that will and have everything else I crave.  2 sense. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #435 of 565
To address the " hot' highs, I went with this cable for my mod.

Taken from the Headphile site:

BlackTop[size=small] A new cable. Same design internally as BlackGold, but no silver this time (all copper). Like a BlackCopper on steroids, twice the strength. Best for headphones, especially Grado and AKG [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back