Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Dec 2, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #316 of 815
After listening to these. Yeah, the bass on the D9200 on another level. Too bad the bass on the D5200 not on the same level because that was my biggest hope. Bass on the D9200 is unforgettable due to it's addictive nature. Build is excellent though.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #317 of 815
Okay, rewatched the 5th episode of season 2 of The Mandalorian (for like the 4th time) and played some Destiny 2 and Star Wars Squadrons (binaural audio). These are excellent movie/show cans...REALLY good... dialog is right up front and clear, you get great positioning and tracking of sounds with all the intricate details and that low end is just AWESOME without being too overpowering.

Gaming is really good as well, even better than the X3 for imaging with just a bit less expansive feel. Still think the HD58X has an advantage in 3D positional location, but these aren't too far off it.

The AH-D5200 is absolutely great for gaming and movies...

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #318 of 815
Overall sound is just, I don't know, something off about it where even though it has good detail and punchy nature it seems flatter/duller sounding than the TH-X00, Porta Pro, or even Fidelio X3. The only thing its not flatter sounding than is my Sennhesier HD58Xs... which are as flat sounding as I can take. So to me it falls closer to a sennheiser HD58X in tone and character than TH-X00... the X3 seems closer in character to my Purplehearts than the 5200.

So yeah, not sure right now about it... about to try it on my Xbox One -> RME ADI-2 -> Project Polaris setup and see how it works for gaming/movies/shows...

D5200 is like HD650, neutral thus flat sound, it does not sound good (yet) on my WM1A but it does sound lively on my SE100. Let's spend some time for breaking in , I am sure it will sound better.

Sorry to hear some of you can't fit well with this headphone. I thought my head is huge, still have 1-2 spare for extension

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #320 of 815
Okay, rewatched the 5th episode of season 2 of The Mandalorian (for like the 4th time) and played some Destiny 2 and Star Wars Squadrons (binaural audio). These are excellent movie/show cans...REALLY good... dialog is right up front and clear, you get great positioning and tracking of sounds with all the intricate details and that low end is just AWESOME without being too overpowering.

Gaming is really good as well, even better than the X3 for imaging with just a bit less expansive feel. Still think the HD58X has an advantage in 3D positional location, but these aren't too far off it.

The AH-D5200 is absolutely great for gaming and movies...
The best headphones for gaming that I've tried were the Beyer T1.3, the imaging with those is just perfect... I've read that all the T1 series are wonderful for gaming...

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #321 of 815
After listening to these. Yeah, the bass on the D9200 on another level. Too bad the bass on the D5200 not on the same level because that was my biggest hope. Bass on the D9200 is unforgettable due to it's addictive nature. Build is excellent though.

I have the 7200 and it can literally rattle on your head it's so fun. I'm looking to upgrade to the 9200 at some point for better controlled bass and hopefully fixing some of the wonky frequencies that make the D7200 a bit fatiguing for long listening sessions.

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #322 of 815
Definitely going to agree with the others, the Foster OEM cans (x00, teak, etc.) are way more comfortable. The hotspot on 5200 headband is kinda awful. I have some TH900 Mk2 coming in soon and so I don't anticipate keeping the 5200, most likely.

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #323 of 815
Agreed on the hotspot. I'm tempted to try to reshape the headband to change the shape but I'm worried about breaking it - has anyone tried?

I think these are useful headphones, they're 'good' closed backs for a work environment, and at the price I got them for I can afford to be less precious and chuck them around. I still don't think I could find a better closed back for $210 so I'm not likely to sell (and I think HF's terms prevents us from selling these for more). They'll just await office life.

When I bought these I thought they would end up being the equivalents to my EMU Teaks (or the TH-X00s) and I've totally shifted to just treating them as a completely different set of cans. I've tried the stock pads, Dekoni perf pleathers and the Custom House ones linked above. I think the perforated pads play better with them - they're not warm bass cannons like the Fostex's and so I've found that the perforated pads play nicer with them (with some sharp highs that may smooth out with more hours on them). I'll keep playing with the pads and I have the Custom House's on them right now, but I expect to go back to the Dekoni perf pads soon.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #324 of 815
Agree, I do think they sound amazing for the discounted price. I have some various pads and things lying around that I'll try on them to fix the hotspot issue. Kind of surprising they didn't think to make it a little before during the design phase. I felt the issue as soon as I put them on, kind of bummed me out because I too was hoping for office use, but that means listening for a few hours at a time and they definitely aren't comfortable enough for that with this hotspot right at the very top of my head.

Dec 3, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #325 of 815
Picked these up when they were on sale for $209.99 from Denon's official site. Man what a steal. I had a TH900 (MK1) till recently, which I sold.

My thoughts:

Physical: Pads and headband are comfier than Fostex. Cable is detachable. Connectors are better too… They use 3.5mm instead of that janky connector on the TH900 MK2. QOL improvements: better hinge design (a bit sturdier than Fostex series) / numbers on the headband adjustment. Cons: wood cups are easier to scratch because they’re matte. Even came with scratches out of the box… oh well. Denon is actively improving comfort while the TH900 has been using the same hinge, headband, and pad design since the D7000 days. Even the 909 still uses the same headband.

Sound: Neutral and warm compared to the TH900. Great for movies. IMO, I like these highs better than the TH900 because they aren’t as piercing. Mids are elevated unlike TH900. The only con is the lows. Bass is not as impactful as the TH900. The TH900’s bass and sub bass are just crazy good; they're on a different league… (Keep in mind the TH900 cost x2 the price of the MSRP of the 5200). Denon’s bass is not bad however... It goes deep, but doesn't have many layers. The Denon's work great for a variety of music genres compared to the TH900. I couldn't stand using the TH900 for certain genres... They’re both fun sounding headphones.

Super interested in the Denon AH-D9200. It’s more comparable to the TH900 and I’ve also heard in some cases that it’s better.

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #326 of 815
I have the 7200 and it can literally rattle on your head it's so fun. I'm looking to upgrade to the 9200 at some point for better controlled bass and hopefully fixing some of the wonky frequencies that make the D7200 a bit fatiguing for long listening sessions.
At this point, I'm curious what the difference with bass between the two? I am certain now D9200 has much superior bass than the D5200.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like D7200 sounds darker, so you will likely get more fatigue with D9200 if you find D7200 fatiguing.
Definitely going to agree with the others, the Foster OEM cans (x00, teak, etc.) are way more comfortable. The hotspot on 5200 headband is kinda awful. I have some TH900 Mk2 coming in soon and so I don't anticipate keeping the 5200, most likely.
Your impressions align with mine. Personally, I think TH-X00 Ebony is a step up in SQ from the D5200. I think these sound similar to EMU-Teaks which doesn't jive with me.

Super interested in the Denon AH-D9200. It’s more comparable to the TH900 and I’ve also heard in some cases that it’s better.
I find D9200 technically superior except sound stage size.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #327 of 815
Will the headband zipped cover help? Insert a small spongy thingy near "hot spot" then zip it, to elevate with slight curvature to make your wear slight comfy. Will it help?

D5200 is my favorite night time headphone to relief stress lol, wonderfully paired with SE100, my HD650 and HE4XX eating dust, mostly use for weekend critical listening with head amp.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #328 of 815
Agreed on the hotspot. I'm tempted to try to reshape the headband to change the shape but I'm worried about breaking it - has anyone tried?
Yes careful you can break yhe headband with much stretching.

Will the headband zipped cover help?
Yes the zippered leather headband works great to solve the hotspot.

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #329 of 815
Just received these in the mail today from the $209 Black Friday deal.

Initial impressions: (Driving with Chord Qutest/Liquid Platinum or Centrance DACmini)

Comfort:
I am of average size with a 7 3/8 hat size and have plenty of room in the adjustment of the headband. I do not experience the hotspot others refer to. I currently own a pair of the Fostex TR-X00 and I find these to be significantly more comfortable than the floppy fit that headphone provides. These have a nice clamping pressure and adhere nicely to the head as you move around. They are not quite as comfortable (but close) as my Focal elears, but those are some of the most comfortable headphones IMHO. I was a little worried based on some of the previous comments, but I am happy with the fit. They are more comfortable than my ZMF VC more comfortable due to the lighter weight and form fit to my head.

Sound Isolation
Sound isolation is the primary reason I own closed cans, as I usually prefer open designs. The sound isolation from external noises are pretty good as I can not hear the TV in the next room on when listening to medium volumes, but can when listening at low volume. They are again better than the TR-X00 but not as good as the ZMF Verite Closed which has the best sound isolation I have ever experienced. The sound leakage out is acceptable and again not as good as the ZMF VC.

Sound Quality
Overall the sound quality has a definite V-shape. The bass extension is what you would expect from a Fostex or Denon with a full and forward presence leaning on the side of overpowering on some songs but welcome on others. They bass presence is slightly less forward than the Fostex but much more forward than the ZMF VC. The highs also feel boosted a bit compared to the VC. I haven't given them a chance to fully burn in but overall they have a pleasing V shape sound signature and I am happy with the purchase. To my ears these are a step up from the Fostex TR-X00 in both sound quality and comfort and will likely be replacing those in my rotation. The sound stage is not bad, but not great and would not consider it a strength of these headphones. They are no match for the ZMF VC in sound quality, but pleasing none-the-less.

Value
I cant imagine anyone who received these for the BF price will be disappointed by the build or sound quality for the money. I like the style and design of these cans as well. Comfort will depend on the individual. As far as value for the retail price at $699, I think these are priced appropriately, but probably do not punch significantly above their weight. They easily a step up from my Fostex TR-X00, Denon D2000, and Senn HD650. They are on par with build and sound quality of my similarly priced Focal Elear, albeit with very different sound signatures. If sound stage is not a priority and you like the house Denon/Fostex sound I would not hesitate to pick these up.

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #330 of 815
I found this interesting, these sound better out of portable like amping devices like my LG V50, DAPs, etc.. I've experienced this with VMODA M200 as well, which was too sensitive for my desktop amp, which has pretty high gain for it. I just find it interesting that my V50 can cause the bass to thump like that. I guess these types of drivers were made to be used for portable amping or at a certain amp gain level. D9200 was similar in how it was driven well from portable devices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back