Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Dec 2, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #301 of 815
Just got mine!

20201202_092347.jpg20201202_092449.jpg20201202_092525.jpg20201202_092552.jpg

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #302 of 815
I'm not sure what the material is, but yes it's a very thin/flexible plastic. Making them yourself would likely be easy.

and @Hyde00 , it's roughly 9.6cm diameter for the 5200 and roughly 10.3cm for the D2000. The closest and easiest thing to D2000 pads would probably be TH-610 pads, there's a company that makes them on Amazon and they're not terribly expensive, they're pretty good too. Here's a link.
Hey thanks for the clarification! LOL I guess I'll abandon the idea of using D5200 pads on D2000.

I was previously looking at that AHG ear pad, however I believe that one fits E-Mu Teak and TH-X00 better (smaller ear opening). Refer to this guide: https://drop.com/talk/23166/denon-fostex-ear-pad-guide

D2000 has slightly larger opening. LOL the search continues.....
Just got mine!

20201202_092347.jpg20201202_092449.jpg20201202_092525.jpg20201202_092552.jpg
Looking good!

Dec 2, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #303 of 815
I'm not sure what the material is, but yes it's a very thin/flexible plastic. Making them yourself would likely be easy.

and @Hyde00 , it's roughly 9.6cm diameter for the 5200 and roughly 10.3cm for the D2000. The closest and easiest thing to D2000 pads would probably be TH-610 pads, there's a company that makes them on Amazon and they're not terribly expensive, they're pretty good too. Here's a link.

Thanks for the link. Ordered a set to try with my D5200 and T-X0. I’ve read a few complaints about overall fit of D5200 being a little clampy. Mine’s still in transport but I have a feeling I’ll agree since I tend to be in the big head camp. Are those aftermarket pads thicker than stock? If they are then I’ll probably only be able to use with my T-X0...

I had the D2000 back when and remember it being plenty big. Does this not have similar size headband?

Dec 2, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #304 of 815
Thanks for the link. Ordered a set to try with my D5200 and T-X0. I’ve read a few complaints about overall fit of D5200 being a little clampy. Mine’s still in transport but I have a feeling I’ll agree since I tend to be in the big head camp. Are those aftermarket pads thicker than stock? If they are then I’ll probably only be able to use with my T-X0...

I had the D2000 back when and remember it being plenty big. Does this not have similar size headband?
It is on the clampy side, and the pads do not help as it's not plush. It's not plush like Focals like Stellia's for example.

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #306 of 815
Just came in... they just fit me at maximum extension... whereas the D2000/TH-X00 fit closer to minimum extension. Clamp is fairly light, more than TH-X00 (which is practically non-existant) but noticeably less than the Fidelio X3 (which is in turn less than Sennheiser HD6 series)...

Haven't heard them yet, just been wearing them while eating lunch, will listen to them at work.

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #307 of 815
Just came in... they just fit me at maximum extension... whereas the D2000/TH-X00 fit closer to minimum extension. Clamp is fairly light, more than TH-X00 (which is practically non-existant) but noticeably less than the Fidelio X3 (which is in turn less than Sennheiser HD6 series)...

Haven't heard them yet, just been wearing them while eating lunch, will listen to them at work.

Yeah I have to have them almost fully extended which is unusual for me on a headphone, weird that it was designed this way... I actually think that my old X00 and my D2000 are more comfortable

Dec 2, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #309 of 815

To this date at least for me the closest pad to D2000 stock pad is the TH610 pad.
https://www.amazon.ca/Fostex-Replac...ild=1&keywords=EX-EP-61&qid=1606951584&sr=8-2

If I'm not mistaken I think the D5200 pad has the same ear hole size right? So I'd probably recommend this over the other AHG pad which is more TH-X00/E-Mu Teak pad size (smaller ear hole than D2000 pad).

But I don't know how well it works with T-X0 lol.
Yeah I have to have them almost fully extended which is unusual for me on a headphone, weird that it was designed this way... I actually think that my old X00 and my D2000 are more comfortable
Uh-oh. I have an XXL head. Hope they fit when they get here on Friday. :slight_frown:
LOL then I don't think D5200 will fit my head AT ALL. On Denon/Fostex I'm at 6th tick which is like 1 tick away from maximum extension LOL. My head don't even fit on some headphones at maximum extension (most of the Beyer headphones).

Dec 2, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #310 of 815
I ordered the D5200 during BF but didn't get any email confirmation. My credit card was charged and I couldn't get hold of anyone on their online support number nor did they respond to my several emails. Does anyone have this problem?

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #311 of 815
I ordered the D5200 during BF but didn't get any email confirmation. My credit card was charged and I couldn't get hold of anyone on their online support number nor did they respond to my several emails. Does anyone have this problem?

Just keep trying to contact them, don't know what else can be done.

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #312 of 815
Mine showed up today, with a bad cable. No sound from one side. Fortunately I have a couple cables for my Focal that I can use. Initial impressions are pretty good, though it will take a while of listening to figure out what stays and what goes. :)

Dec 2, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #313 of 815
For fit of my TH-X00 Purplehearts it's 3 clicks from closed with the Jmoney V3 pads, with the stock pads it was 2 clicks from closed. The AH-D5200 is on '9' though halfway between '8' and '9' would be about ideal - but '9' is more comfortable than '8'. The 5200 is the least comfortable headphone I have though... that dang headband hotspot is the issue - TH-X00s don't even have that issue. Pads are good, better than the stock TH-X00 pads in comfort, so no complaints there other than not as good as the aftermarket pads.

The AH-D5200 is going to be one of 'those' headphones... I honestly don't know what I really think of it after first impression... both like and don't like it.

Subbass is pretty phenominal, actually has really good subbass impact on my DFR-> Loki-> Project Ember II with Mullard 6201 tube... actually tighter and slightly quicker, snappier impact-impulse than my modded Purpleheart - but it's missing the massive sense of heft behind the subbass the Purpleheart has. Like a powerful middleweight boxer vs Mike Tyson back in the day...simply no comparison.

Mids are one thing that I'm not really digging right now. They are VERY prominent even though not forward (though a bit more forward than my Purplehearts). Combine that with being an even brighter and a less musically sounding headphone... and it's slightly intimidating/annoying/fatiguing to listen to. I would almost call the 5200 a mid-centric headphone, but it's not that the mids are more forward than bass or treble it's they are kind of emphasized more/slightly shouty. Was instant relief going to my Purplehearts... entire sound is much more pleasant and warm, which also brings up another thing about the 5200 sound - while it has a larger sense of space than the Purplehearts, it's like that space is a large enclosed room with boundaries. The Purpleheart may be more intimate sounding, but it has a sense of being open and unconfined compared to the 5200. Also the midbass to lower mids of the 5200 seems kind of lacking compared to Porta Pros and Purplehearts... a bit weaker and flatter sounding than both.

This song in particular is a good demo of midbass to lower mids being off, the thundercrack sounds towards the end (starting 4:27 & 4:47) sounds lacking on the 5200 compared to Porta Pro and Purpleheart...

Treble is good, though nothing really stands out to me yet about it.

Overall sound is just, I don't know, something off about it where even though it has good detail and punchy nature it seems flatter/duller sounding than the TH-X00, Porta Pro, or even Fidelio X3. The only thing its not flatter sounding than is my Sennhesier HD58Xs... which are as flat sounding as I can take. So to me it falls closer to a sennheiser HD58X in tone and character than TH-X00... the X3 seems closer in character to my Purplehearts than the 5200.

So yeah, not sure right now about it... about to try it on my Xbox One -> RME ADI-2 -> Project Polaris setup and see how it works for gaming/movies/shows...

Dec 2, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #314 of 815
For fit of my TH-X00 Purplehearts it's 3 clicks from closed with the Jmoney V3 pads, with the stock pads it was 2 clicks from closed. The AH-D5200 is on '9' though halfway between '8' and '9' would be about ideal - but '9' is more comfortable than '8'. The 5200 is the least comfortable headphone I have though... that dang headband hotspot is the issue - TH-X00s don't even have that issue. Pads are good, better than the stock TH-X00 pads in comfort, so no complaints there other than not as good as the aftermarket pads.

The AH-D5200 is going to be one of 'those' headphones... I honestly don't know what I really think of it after first impression... both like and don't like it.

Subbass is pretty phenominal, actually has really good subbass impact on my DFR-> Loki-> Project Ember II with Mullard 6201 tube... actually tighter and slightly quicker, snappier impact-impulse than my modded Purpleheart - but it's missing the massive sense of heft behind the subbass the Purpleheart has. Like a powerful middleweight boxer vs Mike Tyson back in the day...simply no comparison.

Mids are one thing that I'm not really digging right now. They are VERY prominent even though not forward (though a bit more forward than my Purplehearts). Combine that with being an even brighter and a less musically sounding headphone... and it's slightly intimidating/annoying/fatiguing to listen to. I would almost call the 5200 a mid-centric headphone, but it's not that the mids are more forward than bass or treble it's they are kind of emphasized more/slightly shouty. Was instant relief going to my Purplehearts... entire sound is much more pleasant and warm, which also brings up another thing about the 5200 sound - while it has a larger sense of space than the Purplehearts, it's like that space is a large enclosed room with boundaries. The Purpleheart may be more intimate sounding, but it has a sense of being open and unconfined compared to the 5200. Also the midbass to lower mids of the 5200 seems kind of lacking compared to Porta Pros and Purplehearts... a bit weaker and flatter sounding than both.

This song in particular is a good demo of midbass to lower mids being off, the thundercrack sounds towards the end (starting 4:27 & 4:47) sounds lacking on the 5200 compared to Porta Pro and Purpleheart...

Treble is good, though nothing really stands out to me yet about it.

Overall sound is just, I don't know, something off about it where even though it has good detail and punchy nature it seems flatter/duller sounding than the TH-X00, Porta Pro, or even Fidelio X3. The only thing its not flatter sounding than is my Sennhesier HD58Xs... which are as flat sounding as I can take. So to me it falls closer to a sennheiser HD58X in tone and character than TH-X00... the X3 seems closer in character to my Purplehearts than the 5200.

So yeah, not sure right now about it... about to try it on my Xbox One -> RME ADI-2 -> Project Polaris setup and see how it works for gaming/movies/shows...

Price is the only reason why I picked these up. If they sound good, that's an added bonus. If I had to pay the full price, I would've gone with either the d7200 or d9200.

My expectation isn't high, which is a good thing. As long as they sound decent, I'm happy. I'm more concerned with the fit/comfort.

Thanks for the impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back